Everquest II

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
You can skip noob island if you want to. I wouldn't recommend it though especially if you want to do crafting - it's way easier to harvest on the island.

Being semi-forced to group is a big change compared to live. On live you can easily follow the trail of solo mobs all the way to level cap.

I mean you can still solo but you have to be very careful at times and will be extremely dangerous in dungeons like wailing caves and fallen hate.

I agree this origins server is likely to be short lived but I think I will enjoy it for a while. I'm trying not to get too carried away in beta!

Goonsquad Officer
I really enjoyed eq2. If I had a squad and spare time I'd so be down to play through again. A lot of their systems and mechanics were cool. Great itemization (tho I only played through....shadow odyssey? So maybe everything became +gooder)

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
The beta is currently level locked, level cap is 12 I think and artisan level cap is 9.
The full release it looks like is going to be 2006 but without DoF (which was already out in 2006). They actually just patched out the maj'dul carpets which were accidentally still there (but didn't work).

Shop will supposedly be limited. They've stated no krono and I assume/hope no xp pots. Not sure what is usually in the shop though as until origins beta I hadn't played eq2 in years.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have been playing beta origins. Honestly, I dont really see the major difference with origins to live. The only major difference I see is that you level much slower, and lower levels require grouping, and levels are limited into phases. Basically ghetto Seasons of discovery.

I honestly doubt this will be that popular if at all popular for long. The quest lines in original qeynos and freeport were not that fun, and once the novelty of the servers idea wears off and people start realizing that this is fundamentally no different than a live server with gatingn, This will likely go like all the other TLE servers that daybreak runs. Hype at the start, people will get bored of the content simply because its limited, so DBG will release more, and then eventually this just becomes any other TLE server.

so yeah, so far it just seems like a poor attempt to compete or compare with season of discovery, but without attempting to make unique content like blizzard did for that concept.

Unless they do something conceptually cool, or different than live, I dont see much in the allure here other than "Nostalgia" and hopeing that they can get subs from people that havent been playing eq2 for a while.

I mean enjoy it for a bit for the nostalgia at the start if its been a while since you last played, but make no mistake, the population will spike, and then fall like every other TLE. There wont be any true investment into the server by DBG to make this unique, or fun. They more than likely are just going to make it a flavorless grind. You will likely end up dissapointed in this server over time.
Yeah EQ2 launch was not a very good game, best time I had was knocked people down cliffs with my bruiser in PvP. The little ally way instances were filled with furys just destroying whole areas and swashbucklers were king.

I did enjoy the tri faction pvp server for a bit and again when the Fae race was released but launch and live are bad games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I wonder if I could get my characters back from 2004-2005/6?

Edit: Yep, all still there, with names changed/letters added through what I assume are due to server consolidation, although I am pretty sure no other people chose those names. Logged in as my 50 Berzerker and immediately overwhelmed with overflowing inventory, new skills, AA points, etc. AV immediately deleted Everquest2.exe on first run due to heuristics not liking the code for reporting reasons I am sure. Will maybe pick it up again, will do some research to see how soloable it is. I have some time off for Dr appts coming up.

Last edited: