Health Problems

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Why did you want to know your blood type?

Also... you can buy a blood typing test kit on Amazon for $8
At the time, I realized I was in my late 20s and didn't know it, just thought it was a piece of information I should know. I figured I'd ask since they were drawing blood anyway, what's one more test tube. I ended up donating blood and finding out. I've used that information since then a grand total of zero times.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
You can just go to Quest Diagnostics (or wherever) and get whatever test you want done a la carte for far less money than that. No point in going through your PCP because your insurance won't pay for this because it's almost certainly snake oil as a functional product, even if there's some truth to the theory.
Interesting, I thought I needed a script to get anything like that done. Had zero expectations of insurance paying a dime, so, it's nice to not go through a gatekeeper

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Any idea why anxiety would be worse at night?

I admit today I had a soda later than I normally would so it could be caffeine making it worse, but in general even when I cease caffeine after my morning coffee, my anxiety feels worse at night

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Any idea why anxiety would be worse at night?

I admit today I had a soda later than I normally would so it could be caffeine making it worse, but in general even when I cease caffeine after my morning coffee, my anxiety feels worse at night
Cortisone levels should be minimum when you go to bed and increase during the night. So it's not surprinsing that anxiety would be worse during the night.

Might be adrenal fatigue, too much stress, caffeine not enough sleep over time causing it to dysfunction.

adrenal_curve_normal.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cortisone levels should be minimum when you go to bed and increase during the night. So it's not surprinsing that anxiety would be worse during the night.

Might be adrenal fatigue, too much stress, caffeine not enough sleep over time causing it to dysfunction.

View attachment 526796
Before bed, I would wager its the type of food he's eating and the time he's eating dinner.

Eating foods such as processed meats, high sugar foods, caffeine and alcohol, which provide little nutritional value, have been associated with more psychiatric symptoms and can increase cortisol levels—our primary hormone responsible for stress.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Before bed, I would wager its the type of food he's eating and the time he's eating dinner.
Indeed, if anxiety is starting in the evening before going to bed, that's more unnatural than during the night when cortisone is naturaly higher. Either way, the aim is to have a cortisone level as low as possible when falling asleep.

Eating earlier and avoiding sugars entirely in the evening will help for sure.

Stopping coffee for a while would probably be a good idea as well, replace it with green tea if needed, it's much better for your adrenals.

Exposure to IR light before going to bed helps as well, best is to get naturaly, but an IR device is very cheap. Or light a damn fire in winter if it's allowed.

Aswhagandha is a relatively cheap supplement with some decent evidence that it helps with adrenals problem.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There are also firms of magnesium that are supposed to help and look into a relax/calm meditation.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here on blood pressure meds for high blood pressure? I’m hitting the 130/140s range and doctor wants me to monitor it for a month. If it’s still high he wants to put me on meds.. I’m doing thing like recently started exercising again in order to lose weight and get back in shape so I hope that helps.

Just concerned about potential side effects of BP meds..

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Anyone here on blood pressure meds for high blood pressure? I’m hitting the 130/140s range and doctor wants me to monitor it for a month. If it’s still high he wants to put me on meds.. I’m doing thing like recently started exercising again in order to lose weight and get back in shape so I hope that helps.

Should be concerned with side effects of high BP, organ damage, brain hemorrhage etc. Sure there are side effects to meds, like living longer etc. Start with diet, exercise and get the will to live.
The Office Kevin GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I've been on high BP meds. Eventually I went off them because I can't handle 120/70, I get really dizzy. I'm sure their is a huge list of potential side effects, that's just the one i had. Small changes in diet and exercise keeps me at my ideal 130/80. It's just one of those things with aging. You know what you should do, just do it. I use my tubby friends as motivation.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Should be concerned with side effects of high BP, organ damage, brain hemorrhage etc. Sure there are side effects to meds, like living longer etc. Start with diet, exercise and get the will to live.
The Office Kevin GIF
Thanks. Maybe a dumb question but, in the process of attempting to lower my BP by picking up running and weight lifting I am surely raising my blood pressure temporarily during these activities. Is that something to be concerned about or is the concern only with consistent high blood pressure?

Gurgeh

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question but, in the process of attempting to lower my BP by picking up running and weight lifting I am surely raising my blood pressure temporarily during these activities. Is that something to be concerned about or is the concern only with consistent high blood pressure?
If you're not taking them already, various studies show Omega 3 supplement do make a difference for bp.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Someone I lift with has HBP. I asked a similar question and his doctor told him some excuse like HBP caused by strenuous activity is healthy. I would wager thats not far off from the truth when dumbed down like that.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
If you're not taking them already, various studies show Omega 3 supplement do make a difference for bp.
Interesting. I used to take omega 3 consistently up until maybe a year ago. Wonder if that may be a contributing factor. Thanks, I’ll get back on it.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Lose some weight and work out more. I used to run ~140/95. Lost 10 lbs and started doing pretty serious cardio 3-5x a week and and now after a couple years I'm 120/70 with a resting heart rate +/- 50. As others have said, also look to make some diet changes towards higher fiber and unsaturated fats.

No, I don't think so. There's generally a very direct relationship between physical activity and cardiac health. There's some small risk of enlarged heart muscles and arrhythmias in extreme endurance athletes, but blood pressure during exercise isn't an issue.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Others have already posted a bunch of good advice regarding lifestyle modification. If you want a specific diet plan, check the DASH diet or the MIND diet (which is basically a modified DASH that is associated with a substantially lower risk of Alzheimer's).

Diastolic (bottom number) is generally a better predictor of heart disease issues when the numbers are only slightly elevated. 130 or 135/80 isn't as concerning as 130/90. AAFP clinical guidelines are that high blood pressure should be treated when systolic goes above 140 (mid quality evidence) or diastolic above 90 (high quality evidence).

Also: blood pressure is a notoriously finicky vital sign that can change on a dime. Things that seem very mundane can cause 10-20 point systolic spikes. If your provider wants you to measure your BP at home,

• Take it about the same time every day
  • Piss before you take your BP, because a full bladder can increase BP
  • Don't cross your legs, because crossing them can increase BP
  • Sit quietly and don't talk, because talking can increase BP
  • Don't take a blood pressure reading with a sleeve on your arm, because wearing a sleeve can...you know.

But to directly answer the question regarding meds, the most common side effects that they all share are dizziness and fatigue. These happen in about 10-20% of people and can be annoying at first, but they often go away if you stick with the meds for a few months, because your body eventually goes back to its old "set point."

ACEs (lisinopril and all the -prils) and ARBs (irbesartan and all the -sartans), the major scary side effect is angioedema (swelling of the tongue, which can be a legitimate medical emergency, because your tongue/throat can swell so much that it blocks your airway. Angioedema is uncommon, however - 0.1 to 0.7%, in ACEs, and even rarer in ARBs.

Thiazide diuretics can cause you to piss a lot, but they are typically not used as a first-line agent outside of black people (they respond better to thiazides than ACEs/ARBs).

DHP Calcium channel blockers (nifedipine/amlodipine/isradipine/all the -dipines) can cause minor swelling in the ankles, but this is generally more a cosmetic issue than a serious problem, and it may not be a problem at all if you stay active, which will keep the fluid moving. They can sometimes cause people to feel "flushed" or hot.

Last edited:
  • 2Like