Home buying thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Take a photography class (assuming they still offer that with all the camera phone stuff). It used to be a real good place to meet women.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I’m recently out of a marriage (couple years), into the dating pool, and have a girlfriend of six months. She’s great. Dating sucks though. It’s up and down.

I committed to going on a lot of dates and making myself uncomfortable. I also did a lot of counseling to make sure I dealt w the issues of my past marriage, so I don’t bring it into a new relationship. I ended up meeting a girl with similar values and willingness to work on herself.

If you’re committed to growing and taking risks, you’ll do fine.

Sounds like you haven’t been very intentional and have decided to be more intentional. Things will fall into place. Start going on dates.

• 2Like

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So outside of that other stuff, what do you consider a starter home? Whats the price range of that? What area are you in (state)?

As for your dating life, you need to put yourself in more situations that will net your more interactions with people in general. You might meet a new buddy, and that buddy will somehow lead you down the road towards meeting a woman that doesnt quite annoy the ever living piss out of you. Doesnt necessarily mean "church" but thats a good one obviously. Take a class or two in your free time instead of playing a game on those nights. I'd suggest classes that are less STEM focused. Going to the Gym is not quite dating oriented, but suitable. The take away from the three is self improvement usually leads to meeting someone else that is like minded.

Bumble, Tinder, all that shit - just ignore it unless you want an ego boost from ugly bitches.

House is 1000sqft, 3 bedroom / 2 bath; mortgage including property came out to $197k, which was still less than buying some 40 year old house in the area. And really, that was just me having a first world moment. I meal prep every week, so i really don't need a bigger kitchen, it was just me whining.

But yeah, I think my issue was i didn't want to do anything while the house was being built so it was just me sitting around waiting. But i definitely feel more motivated now, its jsut a matter of me putting myself out there. Which has always been my hard battle, i tend to be more of a wallflower. I'm fine when I get to know people but trying to make that initial contact has been hard, since I tend to overthink things a lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
House is 1000sqft, 3 bedroom / 2 bath; mortgage including property came out to $197k, which was still less than buying some 40 year old house in the area. And really, that was just me having a first world moment. I meal prep every week, so i really don't need a bigger kitchen, it was just me whining.

But yeah, I think my issue was i didn't want to do anything while the house was being built so it was just me sitting around waiting. But i definitely feel more motivated now, its jsut a matter of me putting myself out there. Which has always been my hard battle, i tend to be more of a wallflower. I'm fine when I get to know people but trying to make that initial contact has been hard, since I tend to overthink things a lot.
3 Bedroom 2 bath and.. its a 1000 sq feet is interesting dimensions / layout. I'd have to see it in person I guess. I dont quite consider that house a starter house, based on its cost - but Im sure the materials used are nice. Starter house in my mind, is a 30+ year old house that has no structural issues, that is in a low income neighborhood, that you can get a larger loan on for renovation and still be ~1000/month on a 15 year loan after updating it to modern amenities w/little money down.

What you describe sounds like anxiety, so try a Beta Blocker like Metoprolol. Just a suggestion.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
a 30+ year old house that has no structural issues... get a larger loan on for renovation and still be ~1000/month on a 15 year loan after updating it to modern amenities w/little money down.

For $1000/mo on a 15 year fixed you're talking about a $120k loan tops at current interest rates. You can't even buy an old trailer home for that price in a lot of places, never mind something with good bones and renovation budget included.

Daidraco

For $1000/mo on a 15 year fixed you're talking about a $120k loan tops at current interest rates. You can't even buy an old trailer home for that price in a lot of places, never mind something with good bones and renovation budget included.
His starter home is 200k for a 1000 sq/ft. You sure af couldnt wherever he lives. Nor, likely where you live since you're speaking in absolutes, almost. But in SW Virginia, I can link you several. The income matches the area, obviously. But rent is still out of control, as thats exactly what I did with "MY" starter house, and its almost paid for with someone renting it out at 1700 a month.

You're also addressing the person that can tell you plenty about trailers, doublewides, and grandfathered trailer parks. :)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
3 Bedroom 2 bath and.. its a 1000 sq feet is interesting dimensions / layout. I'd have to see it in person I guess. I dont quite consider that house a starter house, based on its cost - but Im sure the materials used are nice. Starter house in my mind, is a 30+ year old house that has no structural issues, that is in a low income neighborhood, that you can get a larger loan on for renovation and still be ~1000/month on a 15 year loan after updating it to modern amenities w/little money down.

What you describe sounds like anxiety, so try a Beta Blocker like Metoprolol. Just a suggestion.
that just means it's a tiny ass living room and they forgo the dining room (probably say that the kitchen has a nook for eating) "open floor plan"

715bc7e48f627782fcd192ae483afeb4.png

not shitting on your new abode M Magimaster just couldn't see it any other way

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
that just means it's a tiny ass living room and they forgo the dining room (probably say that the kitchen has a nook for eating) "open floor plan"

not shitting on your new abode M Magimaster just couldn't see it any other way

No problem, it is an open floor plan style home:

origin.jpg

I would have gone for the next model up which had a garage but it was another $30k and that was just way too much to justify especially at today's interest rates.

But yeah, good luck finding anything smaller like a 2br/2ba. Even mobile homes are expensive now; but the area I'm in here in Central Florida is seeing huge growth so that's also keeping prices high and will for the foreseeable future unless the whole economy just crashes and burns. In which case I'll at least still have a roof over my head.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

No problem, it is an open floor plan style home:

View attachment 528075

I would have gone for the next model up which had a garage but it was another $30k and that was just way too much to justify especially at today's interest rates.

But yeah, good luck finding anything smaller like a 2br/2ba. Even mobile homes are expensive now; but the area I'm in here in Central Florida is seeing huge growth so that's also keeping prices high and will for the foreseeable future unless the whole economy just crashes and burns. In which case I'll at least still have a roof over my head.
Loan and Credit Card payments are defaulting at rates that would suggest its going to "crash and burn" sometime soon. But of course thats just a guess. Im sure the Gov will figure out how to make it limp along just long enough for the next administration to take over.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Loan and Credit Card payments are defaulting at rates that would suggest its going to "crash and burn" sometime soon. But of course thats just a guess. Im sure the Gov will figure out how to make it limp along just long enough for the next administration to take over.
mortgage forgivness under 120k

you get a free house
and you get a free house!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like