JRPGs

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
yeah i really enjoyed rise, its really simple and basic and felt like an MMO side quest engine but I liked the visuals and combat a lot. while some sprite work is shared between eiyuden chronicles they really feel like completely seperate games, its super weird.

1 boss down in chronicles and i'm still pretty bored, the writing and characters are really just shit. its not weeb enough to be funny, it feels like its written for 7 year olds or something.

also grinded a bit more in persona 3 reloaded over the weekend, i'm up to Nov and hoping i'm closing in on the end. i found P5R to be way more fun and interesting characters and setting, P3R is ok but the tower is way too fucking big. i think i've spent my last 3 gaming sessions over 2 weeks just going up like 20 levels in the tower and it gets pretty boring fast.

all 3 games - eiyuden rising, chronicles, and persona 3 reloaded - being on gamepass though is pretty awesome, its like weeb central up in there.

IIRC the tower in P3 is totally optional at least. It was my favorite part of the game, since it was just straight dungeon-crawling and persona-forging gameplay. That's what I wanted from it, not the High School Simulator parts. Wonder if the SMT games are more what I'm looking for, like I suspect they are. Still haven't gotten around to taking a look at them.

Eiyuden being written for 7 year olds is something I haven't noticed much, probably because I got used to these Japanese RPGs being written for 7 year olds a long time ago. Another reason why I say that I got into WRPGs/CRPGs way too late, they were more what I was looking for all along.

The thing about Suikoden/Eiyuden that sets it apart is the setting inspired by Chinese mythology, the epic soundtracks, and the ability to recruit an army of minions.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
IIRC the tower in P3 is totally optional at least. It was my favorite part of the game, since it was just straight dungeon-crawling and persona-forging gameplay. That's what I wanted from it, not the High School Simulator parts. Wonder if the SMT games are more what I'm looking for, like I suspect they are. Still haven't gotten around to taking a look at them.

Eiyuden being written for 7 year olds is something I haven't noticed much, probably because I got used to these Japanese RPGs being written for 7 year olds a long time ago. Another reason why I say that I got into WRPGs/CRPGs way too late, they were more what I was looking for all along.

The thing about Suikoden/Eiyuden that sets it apart is the setting inspired by Chinese mythology, the epic soundtracks, and the ability to recruit an army of minions.
Try Wandering Sword. Great wuxia setting. Great soundtrack. Some weird skill learning mechanics (not bad, just unusual). There’s a free demo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Asian Octopath?
The graphics are octopath, but nothing else really. It’s grid based battles. A bunch of recruitable characters, but not 100+ like suikoden or eiyuden. Various weapons and skills that skill up and do different attacks. It’s not a “omfg must play” game but it’s pretty cool, any JRPG fan should check it out. The gfx, setting and music are great. The devs seem pretty cool and receptive to feedback from players, they made some good changes based on it. I paid full price and was happy to support them based on how they respond to their players.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user