LitRPG

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I started a different series before seeing the comment about Overgeared, but I did download it to my Kindle.

While doing so I saw a solitary 1* review that said something like, "The author is racist towards Japanese and Chinese."

Peter Parker, Harry you don't need to sell me on it, I was already going to read it.meme

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Screenshot_20240509_062340_Wuxiaworld.jpg

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately I had already started another series before I saw the news about Overgeared.

Completely meh. Not bad at all, but nothing new or exciting either. It is like Defiance of the Fall-lite and Primal Hunter-lite with skills, titles, etc. It even has the Dao, except fortunately so far he's only spent a few pages on that bullshit. Most notable thing is his penchant for tossing pop culture/memes into the story. Like, he encounters some monkeys in the dungeon that are called gymonkeys and they all flex and work out all the time. Their "elites" are called brorillas and they guide the lesser gymonkeys in working out, nodding in respect to each other like bros, etc. And the leader, the big brorilla, the main character names Harambe. Amusing, but certainly not enough to make you have to read it. 2.5/5

I started book 2 of it, but I'm already really not thrilled with the direction it is heading. And it seems there is already a 4th book on the way, so it could be yet another endless series. Furthermore, he has a couple of other series, but this is his newest, so if those are the same or worse I wouldn't even bother unless they are drastically different.

Oh, and for those keeping track, yet another Strong Black Woman love interest. I guess you can't be attracted to anything else these days.

You know what, typing this I've decided I'm not going to waste my time on it. It's just mediocre, and literally nothing I haven't read before unless I care about memes (which to be fair, I do!), so why bother? Overgeared it is!

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Like I said, the early chapters weren't great. But they get the ball rolling. The story really comes into it's own shortly after that. Judging by the title, I assume book 1 is the training wheels portion where grid is weak and extremely jealous of everyone. Book 2 is when the real story begins.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Like I said, the early chapters weren't great. But they get the ball rolling. The story really comes into it's own shortly after that. Judging by the title, I assume book 1 is the training wheels portion where grid is weak and extremely jealous of everyone. Book 2 is when the real story begins.
Don't worry, I'll give it a chance. It is highly recommended, not just here.

Although I guess that doesn't mean as much as it used to, since literally every fucking one of these shitty ones I've hated on is like a 4.something rating on Goodreads.

But still, I will at least finish 2 or 3 before deciding if I hate you or not!

velk

Trakanon Raider
Unfortunately I had already started another series before I saw the news about Overgeared.

Completely meh. Not bad at all, but nothing new or exciting either. It is like Defiance of the Fall-lite and Primal Hunter-lite with skills, titles, etc. It even has the Dao, except fortunately so far he's only spent a few pages on that bullshit. Most notable thing is his penchant for tossing pop culture/memes into the story. Like, he encounters some monkeys in the dungeon that are called gymonkeys and they all flex and work out all the time. Their "elites" are called brorillas and they guide the lesser gymonkeys in working out, nodding in respect to each other like bros, etc. And the leader, the big brorilla, the main character names Harambe. Amusing, but certainly not enough to make you have to read it. 2.5/5

I started book 2 of it, but I'm already really not thrilled with the direction it is heading. And it seems there is already a 4th book on the way, so it could be yet another endless series. Furthermore, he has a couple of other series, but this is his newest, so if those are the same or worse I wouldn't even bother unless they are drastically different.

Yeah, I dropped that one for pretty much those reasons

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I finished the first overgeared book, and it may be the worst shit I have ever actually finished. I’ve lost faith in everyone who recommended it.

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I finished the first overgeared book, and it may be the worst shit I have ever actually finished. I’ve lost faith in everyone who recommended it.
I wish I could run into more straight to the point and effective reviews like this

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Xarpolis prepared me, so I'll definitely keep going through a second book, but the first few chapters of Overgeared are godawful. I know it is translated, and it suffers from stuff not sounding the same in English compared to its native language, but I've read others like that, Reality Benders, Apocalypse Tamer, that were tolerable in that respect so I can handle stilted language and weird phrasing, etc.

But for the love of Christ, someone please tell me that he stops with shit like, and I quote, "Puhahahahat!!" and "Ohu~" and "Huhuhu." Because I'mma be real here, if that continues I don't care if the book literally performs fellatio on me, that shit is going to piss me off every time I see it.

Are those supposed to be laughter? Out of breath? Is he having a seizure? I hate when authors actually type out anything beyond haha. Just say something like, Grid laughed hysterically. I'm sufficiently capable of imagining what that sounds like without having it sounded out in jibberish for me.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Xarpolis prepared me, so I'll definitely keep going through a second book, but the first few chapters of Overgeared are godawful. I know it is translated, and it suffers from stuff not sounding the same in English compared to its native language, but I've read others like that, Reality Benders, Apocalypse Tamer, that were tolerable in that respect so I can handle stilted language and weird phrasing, etc.

But for the love of Christ, someone please tell me that he stops with shit like, and I quote, "Puhahahahat!!" and "Ohu~" and "Huhuhu." Because I'mma be real here, if that continues I don't care if the book literally performs fellatio on me, that shit is going to piss me off every time I see it.

Are those supposed to be laughter? Out of breath? Is he having a seizure? I hate when authors actually type out anything beyond haha. Just say something like, Grid laughed hysterically. I'm sufficiently capable of imagining what that sounds like without having it sounded out in jibberish for me.
None of that stopped in the first book. Add in the awful characters all around (I use the term characters loosely, they are written about how I would expect a retarded 5th grader to write characters), the absolute cringe dialogue and internal monologue, the bland and generic world, and a game system that is whatever the author wants at any given time, and you have whatever the fuck this waste of time is.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
To be fair that describes most litrpgs.
To a varying degree, and this was one of the worst cases. Well, most that are that bad I drop within the first few chapters but the series is popular enough for some reason that I figured I’d give it a full book.