LitRPG

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
3,667
3,409
That doesn't inspire me! Thank you for the info though.

Unless there is a comic/anime somewhere, I'm not sure where I'd even get a feel for his appearance, so I'm assuming you are speaking metaphorically. But that's the problem, because I get to hear his thoughts, and they are fairly repulsive. Like I said, I get the frustration with other people not pulling their weight, because that's pretty much every day at work for me, but no one else can hear my thoughts, and if I wrote them down I would imagine most people would consider me to be an asshole. Even if I'm right.

I will keep going because so many people seem to love it, but I've given up on multiple series because of this exact reason. Maybe it is just me. There is a series called We Fight Monsters (not to be confused with the much more popular and better HWFWM) where the mc is tasked with killing the mega-monsters on this world so he can go back home to Earth and his family. He's tried countless times to "win condition" other worlds and this is his last chance. He's literally spent lifetimes doing it. So now on his last chance, he's all about damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead, to the point where he constantly has to tell all the women that lust after him that he ain't got time for that (despite countless lifetimes actually getting married and shit), and he doesn't want to take time to solidify his strength in the world after each boss kill, which would make a whole lot more sense than rushing onto the next one and getting tons of people killed (think WoW raids but with hundreds), all because suddenly he can't wait an extra couple of years?? If it were my last shot, I'd be a LOT more careful than all of my other ones, but perhaps I'm just retarded.

Hell, maybe it is just me, and you guys would love that series too.

His appearance is pretty standardized on the book covers

1790736685642.png

I don't mind this aspect of his personality at all. It's pretty clear he's been through some trauma and using it as a coping mechanism. You find out more about his history as the books go on and it explains a lot.
 

velk

Blackwing Lair Raider
2,974
1,556
Just started Hell Difficulty because of you guys mentioning it here. I'm about halfway through the first one, and I have just one question: does the main character ever grow out of being an insufferable prick?

I was thinking you were talking about Hell Mode and was confused about what everyone was talking about before it finally clicked.

No, the MC of Hell Difficulty Tutorial remains a gigantic dickhead throughout.
 

Void

Doin' Too Much
<Gold Donor>
10,890
13,864
Ah, I don't ever really look too closely at the covers of most of these. That pic doesn't necessarily inspire me to punch him as much as his words and thoughts do.

I made it further and I'm lightening up on him a bit, but part of that is because it clicked that this author must be asian and part of the way he's speaking in his mind is kind of foreign to me. I mean, "Huhu" is a pretty dead giveaway that it isn't a western english speaker, but even without that I was starting to get that feeling like I mentioned with calling him Nat. I can often tell when an author is eastern european or russian too, because they have a different way of expressing certain things. So that helps a bit, because a lot of the humor doesn't quite land the way I think it should, or his attitude feels foreign to me a lot of the time, etc. but I can kind of just wave that off as him not thinking like I do.

I still hate the fact that authors seem to be obsessed with making introvert characters (this guy often talks about how draining it is to speak to more than one person), because it happens so often in litrpg/anime that it isn't unique, much less interesting, by now. And I get the way he doesn't want to show weakness and anyone not helping him is just hindering him, but like half of the shit he has to beat someone down for might have been avoidable if he wasn't such a prick in the first place. Sure, maybe punching someone out of the blue so you can analyze their defensive skill might be the fastest way to learn how to replicate it, but normal people don't fucking do that, even to someone that hates them. His choices are almost universally the most efficient short term, but cause so many problems long term that I question his problem solving abilities. I realize it might be part of my conditioning with western writing where heroes are mostly good guys at heart, but I just don't understand this obsession with being an antisocial prick that asians seem to have. It is like they all aspire to be like that. Is that what your parents being disappointed that you only got an A instead of an A+ does to them?

Anyway, I'm tolerating it better now, and perhaps knowing it will never change will help. Or make me give up at some point, but at least I'm not constantly hoping it happens.