New World

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I remember how happy it made me feel to cap out swimming while doing circles in Felwithe's fish pond though the official strategy guide told me I might drown in one of the dead end parts of the water :p

MMORPG with an aquatic race with it's own underwater starting area when?
I think "speed" is usually what holds underwater shit back in games. For whatever reason, every single RPG I've played with water mechanics makes the character swim and move around slow as fuck. Why would I want to play in this zone where it takes me an extra 30 seconds every single time I want to do something. Versus just being in the over world and it takes 1/3rd the time to do the same thing?

The guy talked about having underwater stuff in New World, too, though. I personally think that adding swimming is more than enough to do with water. Ships or something would be cool. But in reality, I have fuck all of any idea on what would turn New World around.

Cybsled

Lack of swimming in new world feels like it had more to do with restrictions on where people could go

For example, a lot of the faction PvP missions funnel you through choke points that could be completely bypassed if you could go swimming

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The guy talked about having underwater stuff in New World, too, though. I personally think that adding swimming is more than enough to do with water. Ships or something would be cool. But in reality, I have fuck all of any idea on what would turn New World around.
I have not played this for a long time so they might have changed some shit, but the biggest problem is the lack of any meaningful end game for the majority of people playing. Sure you had your nightly chest runs which were pretty much trivial because you ran with a group of 50+ guys, and of course the dungeons, but how many times you gonna do that shit before you just dont want to anymore. Then the whole reason with the end game was the "PvP wars" right? But the way the set all this up is that only a tiny fraction of the players ever got to be involved with wars.

So in the end you had this mix of PvP and PvE shit but none of it was really compelling enough to stick around unless you were one of the fortunate ones getting spots in wars all the time.

Plus the whole 2-3K max people per server was also a mistake. People lost territory or whatever, jumped ship to a bigger server over and over so that 90% of the servers were 200 people max. I think they fucked all this shit up big time. More people quit because of this than any other reason IMO. I remember my OG server which started with max pop turned into a 400 people at prime time server, lol.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I feel like swimming is one of those things people ask for but they don’t really want. Queue Blizzard dev.

I remember when BDO made a big deal about improving swimming and adding water content. Nobody gives a fuck.

As far as New World, other than making it less jarring of only having ankle deep water everywhere, it’s a waste of dev time.

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I feel like swimming is one of those things people ask for but they don’t really want. Queue Blizzard dev.

I remember when BDO made a big deal about improving swimming and adding water content. Nobody gives a fuck. Other than making it less jarring of only having ankle deep water everywhere, it’s a waste of dev time.
Swimming stuff can be fun. Plane of Water was a good raid. DDO has some really fun underwater missions.

That said, if you are going to have water in your game you need to give your players some way to interact with it. New World let them.... walk slowly and drown.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Swimming stuff can be fun. Plane of Water was a good raid. DDO has some really fun underwater missions.

That said, if you are going to have water in your game you need to give your players some way to interact with it. New World let them.... walk slowly and drown.

I'll say it, I liked the Cataclysm underwater zone, and how you progressed through it faster and faster. It was something different at least.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Fucking DDO and the sauhugin quests. They were all over the place, and it seems like you were constantly fighting them, with a giant culmination down in the deeps. There was a lot of swimming in the game.

That was a really fun game though. I thought about firing it back up to get on my monk and check out all the new content. I just don't remember any of my account info, that's been so many years since I played it.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Fucking DDO and the sauhugin quests. They were all over the place, and it seems like you were constantly fighting them, with a giant culmination down in the deeps. There was a lot of swimming in the game.

That was a really fun game though. I thought about firing it back up to get on my monk and check out all the new content. I just don't remember any of my account info, that's been so many years since I played it.
Still a fun game, and now they are part of dbg. If you still have access to the original email acct you can probably get your user name and reset your pw. I still have it in my MMO rotation. Starting to fizzle out on EQ, but hopefully new TLP with Daidraco Daidraco and peeps should renew my interest. FFXIV has a new xpac at the end of June that I will be playing a lot of.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The only swimming zone I ever liked was Kedge Keep. I spent so much time there that the person who wrote the Kedge Keep guide back in the day used me as a consultant. Solo pulling Finegal was also easy as fuck once you knew the trick and how the shitty pathing/teleporting there worked.

I also mastered the art of stealth killing other groups there to avoid competition if they were stealing spawns - you could exploit pathing geometry to get the exploding mini fish to path near groups with you no where near them. If the groups were using AoE to farm, they would detonate the tiny fish and die to the explosions lol

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Still a fun game, and now they are part of dbg. If you still have access to the original email acct you can probably get your user name and reset your pw. I still have it in my MMO rotation. Starting to fizzle out on EQ, but hopefully new TLP with Daidraco Daidraco and peeps should renew my interest. FFXIV has a new xpac at the end of June that I will be playing a lot of.
I'm sure it is. I just haven't played in MMO in so long and I don't want to necessarily get sucked in. I've got a small group of people that I guess we've all been playing games for 20 plus years with each other, and video was one of our Mainstays. The game was just such a blast, and I think we relished and it's goofiness with some of the quest lines. There's even those hilarious Gary gygax voiced missions that you do in some sort of graveyard.

If there's an MMO that kind of makes you feel like you're playing a tabletop game, it's DDO hands down, at least for getting a similar experience of just having fun with your friends, getting boozed up and shooting the shit. I can run my monk through a trap, and my buddy playing a sorcerer assumes it's safe, follows and gets destroyed. I tried handful of other classes, but monk was the best simply due to the mobility, and being able to run faster and jump higher than anybody else. I don't know if that's still the case though, haven't played it in maybe a decade, if not a bit longer.

Just a lot of hilarious shenanigans happening. Need to fire up and reclaim my account, and get the band back together. Easy going yet challenging goofy fun.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Forgot, what's TLP?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Time Lapsed Progression. Teek starts on Kunark and SoV opens up 12 weeks later. Etc.
I'll admit I never played EverQuest as much as the rest of you guys. UO was my jam, I played multiple accounts for years, macro Skilling any of my characters. Share the accounts with one of my best buddies in high school, and it was all about robbing houses via glitches, and PVP in Deceit in the lich level, or Terrathan Keep.

I remember going to a kegger back in college and a dude was aoncomputer game during the party, asked what he was playing, and it was EverQuest.

I sat and bullshit with him for a little while because I had never seen it before, but I asked him is there PVP, and he said no you just go kill monsters. Kind of turned me away.

Dark age of Camelot came out though, and I was all in, and I guess that's probably the closest amalgamation to eq with PVP at the time.

Did have a roommate eventually in college that was hardcore EQ. Knew about the forum and I guess the guild fires of heaven, and he proclaimed to have various server first or whatever. The guy was a hardcore neckbeard, he was always fun to hang out with, and his sister was good looking as were her friends.

He sold his accounts twice to German people of all things for thousands of dollars that allowed him to pay rent. I think the last time he was running stuff he was two boxing warrior and cleric. He would just I guess go in the farm specific items and make a lot of platinum, build up a character geared out and then be able to sell it for a few thousand bucks, on top of working at the same place we worked at.

At some point when he was still renting a room, there was a permadeath PVP server that popped up, and we played that for a long time. I was probably my best experience with the game.

I did do eq2 for a bit, but it ran like dog shit. However I'm sure that had I been in that Glory Days of original EQ, I would have loved the hell out of it. I guess I got my fix with UO, and perhaps Warcraft with Black Wing Lair and rushing to be server first. Shit was exciting, and I can imagine why a lot of you guys have such fond memories of that stuff.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I remember our guild bled a lot of people as a result of DAOC. We were able to get some to come back to help us wake the sleeper.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I remember our guild bled a lot of people as a result of DAOC. We were able to get some to come back to help us wake the sleeper.
Ours did too, as I was one of them. But it was clear as daylight that by level 20, half the shit in DAOC wasnt itemized and at least 3/4 of the people that went to DAOC had went back to EverQuest. At least, thats how it felt. DAOC was fun to revisit, and for some reason.. I really liked the "vibe" of Albion, and the swamp area it had. But the RVR never got its hooks in me like it did some people.

Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded - I'd suggest you try out EQ: TLP, Teek. Server launches on the 22nd at 5pm iirc, and theres going to be a stupid amount of people trying to play it. Its like reliving early EQ, but with some really nice QOL changes that make it way less neck beard. I think you'll have fun, even if UO was your favorite back then.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ours did too, as I was one of them. But it was clear as daylight that by level 20, half the shit in DAOC wasnt itemized and at least 3/4 of the people that went to DAOC had went back to EverQuest. At least, thats how it felt. DAOC was fun to revisit, and for some reason.. I really liked the "vibe" of Albion, and the swamp area it had. But the RVR never got its hooks in me like it did some people.

Dr.Retarded Dr.Retarded - I'd suggest you try out EQ: TLP, Teek. Server launches on the 22nd at 5pm iirc, and theres going to be a stupid amount of people trying to play it. Its like reliving early EQ, but with some really nice QOL changes that make it way less neck beard. I think you'll have fun, even if UO was your favorite back then.
Man the rvr in DAOC and running around on the frontiers was what made the game so much God damn fun.

I always played Midgard, which seem to be the underdogs on any server you rolled, and I at least remember the community being pretty cool about gearing up, doing dungeons like spindleheim, or spindlehalla, or whatever, and getting parties together go screw up the Albions or Hibernians. Everybody seem to want to work with each other because of basically your faction, kind of like something like PlanetSide. Probably the only other game that I ever saw immediate community cooperation with total strangers.

I guess when I originally got the game I played a troll warrior, not really understanding the mechanics after Ultima online, and I was a pretty crappy tank, but after a bit I realized my true purpose was a skald. Best bard class ever.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I could never get into DAOC...I remember I tried friar thinking they might be like EQ1 monks, they weren''t, and I went back to EQ1 immediately

I had a RL friend who played DAOC alot and was Midgard. I forget what his class was, but it used a shield and he used to run around fucking up ranged. He played EQ1 as well and I got my guild to invite him to one of our weekly Plane of Growth clears and he was able to loot a Tunare Whip because no one in our guild wanted it because we thought it was trash. He thought it was the most godly weapon ever though and pugs in dungeons were in awe at the attack speed lol. At least someone appreciated it!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I could never get into DAOC...I remember I tried friar thinking they might be like EQ1 monks, they weren''t, and I went back to EQ1 immediately

I had a RL friend who played DAOC alot and was Midgard. I forget what his class was, but it used a shield and he used to run around fucking up ranged. He played EQ1 as well and I got my guild to invite him to one of our weekly Plane of Growth clears and he was able to loot a Tunare Whip because no one in our guild wanted it because we thought it was trash. He thought it was the most godly weapon ever though and pugs in dungeons were in awe at the attack speed lol. At least someone appreciated it!
Wonder if he played a Thane. They were I guess kind of an off tank but they had lightning magic to blast people with. One of my buddies always played one. Red guard also had the berserker where you could turn into a bear in rage mode or something. If I remember that affection didn't have near as many classes but their classes were just better at what they did.

I vaguely remember trying to roll a friar but I just couldn't get into Albion.

I guess the last time I played it was after darkness falls came out, and for the time, that was such a neat idea and really reminded me of old uo dungeon crawling we had to always be on your guard. Just made things so exciting.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

As a caster I HATED pvp in DAOC. If an archer even looked at you funny it would 100% interrupt you.

The one time I was actually able to nuke down an archer I was called out for cheating on the old IGN forums by the scrub lol

• 2Worf