Non fiction

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have recommendations on a good book dealing with Mao, China, and the rise of the Cultural Revolution? I've read Gulag Archipelago so was thinking of something along the lines of Solzhenitsyn's work. Did another read through of Three Body Problem after the show came out and so was interested and going back to read more non-fiction.

I found Mao's Last Revolution as a recommendation from another site, but thought I'd also ask here.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone have recommendations on a good book dealing with Mao, China, and the rise of the Cultural Revolution? I've read Gulag Archipelago so was thinking of something along the lines of Solzhenitsyn's work. Did another read through of Three Body Problem after the show came out and so was interested and going back to read more non-fiction.

I found Mao's Last Revolution as a recommendation from another site, but thought I'd also ask here.
Frank Dikötter's trilogy, certainly:
  • The Tragedy of Liberation (the conquest of China by the PLC)
  • Mao's Great Famine (the Great Leap Forward insanity)
  • The Cultural Revolution (as it says)
That's the most in-depth work I've found about the Mao era. Dikötter has also lots more about modern China, but those three make the best work about Mao's immense damage to China, from 1945 to 1976.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Frank Dikötter's trilogy, certainly:
  • The Tragedy of Liberation (the conquest of China by the PLC)
  • Mao's Great Famine (the Great Leap Forward insanity)
  • The Cultural Revolution (as it says)
That's the most in-depth work I've found about the Mao era. Dikötter has also lots more about modern China, but those three make the best work about Mao's immense damage to China, from 1945 to 1976.
Thanks!

Funny enough when I went to Amazon this was the first result. Now to remember if I read it 🤣

IMG_6332.jpeg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you have audible plus, that book is currently included with membership.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user