Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Do you need a physical address if you get their RV model?

Not sure, thats an option too. Bit more expensive but I could try that if needed.

Does the area have good cell reception? Most cell providers have a home type service you could use while you wait for starlink, but only if the area has good service to begin with

My cell reception was decent in the area last time i was over there. I have Verizon and when I checked their website it told me the Home Service wasn't available there, but I'm guessing i could go to the store and have them check to be sure. I've also considered using my phone as a hotspot if need be till I figure things out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So, bumping this thread to try and get some info. I'm having a house built in a semi-rural area. Best as I can find the internet options are somewhat limited:

- CenturyLink shows as available but its $50 for only 1.5Mbps with a landline, basically option of last resort.
- X-finity looks like they are available two streets down from me, so I am thinking on going to the closest store to see if they would be able to expand to my street.
- Other option is to go satellite with Starlink. My concern is that I want to signup for the waitlist, but the house does not have a physical address yet as its still undeveloped land. Does anyone know if you can switch the address for your Starlink order, as i could signup for the waitlist at my current apt address then switch once the house has an actual address. I don't mind sitting on the waitlist as the house is still 5-6 months from being built.
You can move with the starlink I'm pretty sure. The only factor would be if your current location has a longer waiting list than where you're moving to. If your current address and the location you're moving to are the same general area I don't think it would matter. They start billing you when the dish arrives though, not when you turn it on, so you wouldn't want it just sitting in a closet for a year. There's probably a way to pause the service but when my Mom's came her lazy ass sons took a couple of months to get around to putting it up and she wound up paying for both internet providers for a while.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure, thats an option too. Bit more expensive but I could try that if needed.

My cell reception was decent in the area last time i was over there. I have Verizon and when I checked their website it told me the Home Service wasn't available there, but I'm guessing i could go to the store and have them check to be sure. I've also considered using my phone as a hotspot if need be till I figure things out.
I think Starlink has the option of putting in geo cords where your house/service will be located (you may need to use their app for this), then you use your CC billing location to set up for mailing address.

Cell phone tethering or using a cell router with a sim card in it, is a decent backup, but you will only get 4G speeds. The 5G towers don't cover enough real estate for any provider to put them up in any rural area that I have seen, so good luck ever seeing 5G in the country (I think the area needs 5G to qualify for "Home Service" packages). If you do some searches, you should be able to find coverage maps for 4G and 5G; the government even has one, but I forgot what it was called.

Could always test it a bit by putting your phone in tethering, when out on the property, then try to watch a 1080p+ video on a laptop or tablet. Maybe ping some places like steam, if you game, as I think 4G is high-ish lag/packet loss. Check your plan for data caps/tethering rules so they don't ding you.

There are still subsidies for bringing internet to rural America, so maybe ask your builder, locals at the closest gas station, or even the people at the utility companies, if they know of any new options for internet being built.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Bumping this thread since I finally got into my new home.

Turns out there is no cable or fiber service at the moment out here. Closest Xfinity junction is 3/4 of a mile away and it seems like none of the providers want to run the cables through until more homes are built so that may take 2-3 years or so.

Looks like my only option is satellite, so its looking like Starlink will be my best bet versus other satellite companies. I've run the Obstruction check on my phone and have 2 corners of the house that from ground level look to have good reception, so I'm not too worried about it once I get it mounted up on the corner of the roof but I am leery about how to run the wiring through the roof. The builder did run basic cable wiring to each room, but the ends currently sit out next to the power box unused since that's where the pole brings the lines in off the road.

I've never done wiring work like this before so I am debating if its worth having a professional come and wire it up just so I don't screw it up, but I also have a friend who got Starlink setup at his home so I may see if he can help me get it setup too.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't put the wire through the roof. Just run it down the peak or one of the hips depending on what kind of roof you have and then put it through under the eaves.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bumping this thread since I finally got into my new home.

Turns out there is no cable or fiber service at the moment out here. Closest Xfinity junction is 3/4 of a mile away and it seems like none of the providers want to run the cables through until more homes are built so that may take 2-3 years or so.

Looks like my only option is satellite, so its looking like Starlink will be my best bet versus other satellite companies. I've run the Obstruction check on my phone and have 2 corners of the house that from ground level look to have good reception, so I'm not too worried about it once I get it mounted up on the corner of the roof but I am leery about how to run the wiring through the roof. The builder did run basic cable wiring to each room, but the ends currently sit out next to the power box unused since that's where the pole brings the lines in off the road.

I've never done wiring work like this before so I am debating if its worth having a professional come and wire it up just so I don't screw it up, but I also have a friend who got Starlink setup at his home so I may see if he can help me get it setup too.
There should be plenty of install videos on it (for example), that you can watch, to see if it's something you want to tackle. I would try to avoid putting screws directly into the roof, but see if you can get away with a vertical mount just under the eave.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
There should be plenty of install videos on it (for example), that you can watch, to see if it's something you want to tackle. I would try to avoid putting screws directly into the roof, but see if you can get away with a vertical mount just under the eave.

I’ll take a look and see. Had an interesting call today from Xfinity, seems like they have escalated the issue and told me to give them 2-3weeks and they will get back to me. I’m guessing they must be looking at possibly running lines down into my area of the neighborhoods. There’s enough houses down my way that they may be able to pickup a bunch of business and I know the county had a program running to help cover costs for expanding service to rural areas. So I may just wait to see if they end up doing that before I order the Starlink.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I’ll take a look and see. Had an interesting call today from Xfinity, seems like they have escalated the issue and told me to give them 2-3weeks and they will get back to me. I’m guessing they must be looking at possibly running lines down into my area of the neighborhoods. There’s enough houses down my way that they may be able to pickup a bunch of business and I know the county had a program running to help cover costs for expanding service to rural areas. So I may just wait to see if they end up doing that before I order the Starlink.

In my experience dealing with them for my parents 10 years ago, if something actually reaches escalation/Level 2 techs at Comcast, they're pretty good. It's mostly getting a case escalated beyond the level 1s in India and the Philippines that's the problem.

Kiki

Log Wizard
I wouldn't put the wire through the roof. Just run it down the peak or one of the hips depending on what kind of roof you have and then put it through under the eaves.

Yeah run a rain loop and caulk it real well. Then you'll take it inside to your router. It's at this point you figure out whether you want to run additional drops from your router or just WIFI the whole house. Your existing coax isn't gonna help you here very much, really that's pretty useless unless doing cable or satellite tv.

1715281528310.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
In my experience dealing with them for my parents 10 years ago, if something actually reaches escalation/Level 2 techs at Comcast, they're pretty good. It's mostly getting a case escalated beyond the level 1s in India and the Philippines that's the problem.
Yeah, the caller sounded Indian but he did say it was a Level 2 escalation. I’m willing to give them some time to see if they decide to expand. Worse case they decline and I just order Starlink. I give it decent odds that they might, there’s a lot of building going on in the area and the power companies are already running extra lines to prep for more growth.