World of Warcraft: Current Year

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most of us have jobs and lives now that don't allow the same amount of time and energy for games. Doesn't mean there aren't new games out there for the kids of today that mean as much to them as EQ/WOW meant to us.

This is the main thing, it's all about timing (and living that younger no career/college/free time life) and the people you played it with. As much as I can enjoy other games, I will never have an experience like I did my guild in Vanilla and TBC. Just won't ever be that time with those people again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I have this dream that by the time I get to retirement age we will have AI tools that will both allow us to recreate classic games we grew up with and that we can play them with our friends at the old folks home. AI would be used to step in an "fill up the world" so you could do 40 man Nax runs with your 8 living buddies and AI running for all the rest, and helping out with your arthritis. But we prolly won't have that. A man can still dream...

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Oh no, they fired Todd Howard Christie Golden! How is the superb WoW storyline ever going to recover from this blow?!?

2024-04-29 20.32.28 www.wowhead.com 8d58036d4a4f.png

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That dude has a bigger smile than the Joker. He can't fool anyone with that wig.
Old pictures make her look like just an ugly ass woman to me. And her fingers pass the trans test. Things used to be so much simpler .

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
This is the main thing, it's all about timing (and living that younger no career/college/free time life) and the people you played it with. As much as I can enjoy other games, I will never have an experience like I did my guild in Vanilla and TBC. Just won't ever be that time with those people again.
Every time I get the latest expansion and fizzle out after 2-3 months.

Turns out I didn't enjoy the game as a standalone thing in 2005, I just enjoyed playing with my guild.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Not to mention back in day I think I had a pretty neutral disposition to everyone. Now? I'm pretty sure I hate everyone and their fake and gay personalities.
I was in a guild for a long time. Then GL's bil joined up and things went to shit. He kept fucking up on raids and causing failure after failure. To make things worse, he was dead last on damage as a hunter. I was 1-2 and had the lowest healing received of anyone. GL decided to start shafting me on loot to give to him. I told them the raiders in the guild aren't your personal slaves so you can keep all the loot. Pettiness of it all rubbed me the wrong way, so I deguilded. MT bailed and the new healer did also...thus ending the gl's raiding aspirations.

I didn't play for a long time, came back to game like a year later and saw old gl. She /rude me and told me to f off. Hilarious that she was still mad that I led the exodus which killed he guild. Even more laughable is that her BIL quit the game so she basically killed her guild for nothing.

• 1Moron
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Not to mention back in day I think I had a pretty neutral disposition to everyone. Now? I'm pretty sure I hate everyone and their fake and gay personalities.
Ha. A few of my old school pals play now and then, so when I play bliz games I will say hi if I see them on. Good peeps. Good memories. Can't be arsed to play fuck fuck games with my sleep schedule just to raid anymore, so I just enjoy the RPG part.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was in a guild for a long time. Then GL's bil joined up and things went to shit. He kept fucking up on raids and causing failure after failure. To make things worse, he was dead last on damage as a hunter. I was 1-2 and had the lowest healing received of anyone. GL decided to start shafting me on loot to give to him. I told them the raiders in the guild aren't your personal slaves so you can keep all the loot. Pettiness of it all rubbed me the wrong way, so I deguilded. MT bailed and the new healer did also...thus ending the gl's raiding aspirations.

I didn't play for a long time, came back to game like a year later and saw old gl. She /rude me and told me to f off. Hilarious that she was still mad that I led the exodus which killed he guild. Even more laughable is that her BIL quit the game so she basically killed her guild for nothing.

To be faaaaair, maybe since you were #1 DPS and he was last-place, she figured he needed stat improvements a lot more than you did and was trying to create another useful DPSer.

Really? "This guy only has to do 55 days of shitty dailies instead of 60 to get a recolor mount, a stupid toy and some blue gear from a rep vendor" is REALLY a problem? I thought it was an okay boon but well, seems I am really off

I can't believe people spend their time this way.

Played most of the WoW expansions for like one month each and did the main stories. Can't imagine sticking around for all the busy work and dailies just to get a different color mount or something.

I have this dream that by the time I get to retirement age we will have AI tools that will both allow us to recreate classic games we grew up with and that we can play them with our friends at the old folks home. AI would be used to step in an "fill up the world" so you could do 40 man Nax runs with your 8 living buddies and AI running for all the rest, and helping out with your arthritis. But we prolly won't have that. A man can still dream...

That'd be nice. As someone who is in shape but also spent years beating myself up physically, I'm gonna have a shitty old age and it's gonna probably start when I'm about 55.

WoW is my second gaming love after the Legend of Zelda series. Seeing the current state and then thinking about all the time I sunk into it (particularly 2006-2010), makes me feel this weird feeling of loss, nostalgia, shame, and regret. I wasted prime years of my 20’s just doing my daily workout then living in the game world. I held a steady good paying job but it wasn’t like I “cared” like I did about wow.

Yeah that was me with EQ. I spent some of my prime years (16-18 and 21-25) basically living in EQ. I did socialize, go out, etc, but I spent the lion's share of my free time at home playing EQ in those spans of time and I cared about it a lot more than I cared about real life. I get the same feeling of nostalgia mixed with regret when I think about it, and it gives me a lot of pause on doing it again (which is probably why I fizzle out on TLPs).

• 1Like

Burns

To be faaaaair, maybe since you were #1 DPS and he was last-place, she figured he needed stat improvements a lot more than you did and was trying to create another useful DPSer.

I can't believe people spend their time this way.

Played most of the WoW expansions for like one month each and did the main stories. Can't imagine sticking around for all the busy work and dailies just to get a different color mount or something.

That'd be nice. As someone who is in shape but also spent years beating myself up physically, I'm gonna have a shitty old age and it's gonna probably start when I'm about 55.

Yeah that was me with EQ. I spent some of my prime years (16-18 and 21-25) basically living in EQ. I did socialize, go out, etc, but I spent the lion's share of my free time at home playing EQ in those spans of time and I cared about it a lot more than I cared about real life. I get the same feeling of nostalgia mixed with regret when I think about it, and it gives me a lot of pause on doing it again (which is probably why I fizzle out on TLPs).
lol, "cant imagine" grinding out mounts in WoW, then proceeds to comment on grinding out a majority of your free time during for 6 years, in EQ! Mount collecting is a bit silly when there are 10,000 mounts, but don't pretend that grinding XP sitting at camps in EQ is that much different.

Besides, who cares about mounts, the Human rep bonus also made me millions of gold, so easily the best racial!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
lol, "cant imagine" grinding out mounts in WoW, then proceeds to comment on grinding out a majority of your free time during for 6 years, in EQ! Mount collecting is a bit silly when there are 10,000 mounts, but don't pretend that grinding XP sitting at camps in EQ is that much different.

Besides, who cares about mounts, the Human rep bonus also made me millions of gold, so easily the best racial!

There's a pretty big difference between what I did in EQ and the stuff people are describing doing in WoW. I can't imagine grinding out dailies for rep every day for years and stuff like that. EQ wasn't really about grinding, I'd log on for raids and kill bosses / finish all of an expansion's quests and help other people get them done. Sitting at a camp isn't really much of a thing in OoW+, which is when I predominantly wasted time in EQ. There were never any dailies or rep grinding for different-color mounts. Though Teek missions were kind of like dailies and I'd do those sometimes. That said, it was a lot of evenings in my prime years that should have been spent going out and doing other things, but if it had been rep-grinding for mounts I'd probably hate myself.

Burns

There's a pretty big difference between what I did in EQ and the stuff people are describing doing in WoW. I can't imagine grinding out dailies for rep every day for years and stuff like that. EQ wasn't really about grinding, I'd log on for raids and kill bosses / finish all of an expansion's quests and help other people get them done. Sitting at a camp isn't really much of a thing in OoW+, which is when I predominantly wasted time in EQ. There were never any dailies or rep grinding for different-color mounts. Though Teek missions were kind of like dailies and I'd do those sometimes. That said, it was a lot of evenings in my prime years that should have been spent going out and doing other things, but if it had been rep-grinding for mounts I'd probably hate myself.
You didn't grind XP for AA or to get a fungi? There is only a very small percent of stupid shit in wow that can even compare to the grind that is EQ. Getting a pirate suit and title is about the only thing I can think of.

It didn't take years to grind a rep for any mount recolor that I know about. The longest mount grind was probably the netherwings in BC, before the game even peaked in the Lich King xpac and in that case, it was the only way to get that mount, whatever color people wanted. Most of the recolors that I can remember, that were part of a rep, were a rep you were getting anyway for other progression stuff.

The hardest to acquire mounts in WoW are straight 0.1% drop rates which take farming the same mob/boss over and over again, which was kinda EQ's thing. WoW even gated the EQ poopsock spirit so you could only kill most of those mount holders only once per week.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Achievement by another name. And we know how much bitches loves achievements.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya, the keying 72=80 guild members for Ssra or to a lesser extent keys for the planes. That is something wow has not come close to imho. The holding camps and farming for other people is a foreign concept to players these days.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You didn't grind XP for AA or to get a fungi? There is only a very small percent of stupid shit in wow that can even compare to the grind that is EQ. Getting a pirate suit and title is about the only thing I can think of.

It didn't take years to grind a rep for any mount recolor that I know about. The longest mount grind was probably the netherwings in BC, before the game even peaked in the Lich King xpac and in that case, it was the only way to get that mount, whatever color people wanted. Most of the recolors that I can remember, that were part of a rep, were a rep you were getting anyway for other progression stuff.

The hardest to acquire mounts in WoW are straight 0.1% drop rates which take farming the same mob/boss over and over again, which was kinda EQ's thing. WoW even gated the EQ poopsock spirit so you could only kill most of those mount holders only once per week.

There was certainly some banging-out of AAs over the years. AAs are fun though. Learning abilities is fun. Farming mounts you're not gonna use and cosmetic stuff, IDK.

I went for exactly one mount in WoW, and it was the phoenix mount dropped by Kael'Thas. Once he was soloable (maybe MoP? IDK) I went back and soloed his raid instance once a week for like 40 weeks until it finally dropped. Have had the account-wide phoenix mount on every character ever since. It was one of the dumber things I've ever done in a game, but it was a damn phoenix mount, how cool is that? Never again though, not in any game.