Ancient Civilizations

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I asked bing about it on a whim, it wasn't all that helpful:

You
Invent a formulae for a soft material that would fill a large mold that over time would harden into a stonelike material with a very granite like composition

Copilot
Creating a soft material that hardens into a granite-like composition involves mimicking the natural formation process of granite, which is an igneous rock formed from the cooling and solidification of magma. The primary minerals in granite are quartz, alkali feldspar, and plagioclase, with minor amounts of other minerals like mica and amphibole123.

Here’s an inventive formula for a synthetic granite-like material:

Silica Sand (SiO2): Provides the quartz component, which is a major constituent of granite.
Feldspar Powder: Mimics the feldspar content in granite, contributing to the hardness and color variation.
Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3): Acts as a filler and provides additional hardness.
Alumina (Al2O3): Represents the aluminum content found in natural granite.
Polymer Resin: Serves as the binding agent that will harden over time, holding the other components together.
Catalyst (e.g., Benzoyl Peroxide): Initiates the hardening process of the resin.
Color Pigments: To achieve the desired coloration that mimics natural granite.
The process would involve mixing the silica sand, feldspar powder, calcium carbonate, and alumina with the polymer resin and color pigments. The catalyst is then added to initiate the hardening process. This mixture can be poured into a mold, where it will set and harden over time, resulting in a material with a stone-like texture and appearance similar to granite.

Please note that this is a conceptual formula and would require testing and refinement for practical application. Additionally, the proportions of each component would need to be determined based on the desired final properties of the synthetic granite. Safety precautions should also be taken when handling chemicals and during the curing process.

You
Would this material survive thousands of years of weathering?

Copilot
The longevity of a synthetic granite-like material in the face of weathering is a complex issue that depends on various factors, including the composition of the material, environmental conditions, and the presence of biological activity. Natural granite weathers at different rates based on its mineral composition and the climate it’s exposed to12. For example, quartz is known to be erosionally resistant, while feldspar and biotite, other common minerals in granite, are more susceptible to weathering2.

For a synthetic material designed to mimic granite, the durability would largely depend on the binder used (in this case, the polymer resin) and its resistance to environmental factors such as temperature fluctuations, moisture, and biological growth. The catalyst and pigments could also affect the longevity of the material.

While the synthetic material may not last as long as natural granite, which can endure for millions of years, it could be engineered to withstand weathering for a significant period. However, without real-world testing and data, it’s challenging to predict the exact lifespan of such a material. It’s also important to consider that the material’s exposure to harsh weather conditions and the presence of pollutants could accelerate the degradation process.

In summary, while a synthetic granite-like material could be designed for durability, it is unlikely to match the millennia-long endurance of natural granite without extensive testing and optimization for weather resistance. It would be essential to conduct long-term durability studies to determine the material’s performance over time.

You
Could you rework the formulae so that the end result would make a geologist think it was natural granite?

Copilot
To refine the synthetic granite formula to more closely resemble natural granite, we would need to adjust the composition to better match the mineralogy and texture of natural granite. Here’s an enhanced formula:

Silica Sand (SiO2): Increased proportion to enhance the quartz content, which is abundant in granite.
Feldspar Powder: A blend of both alkali and plagioclase feldspar to mimic the feldspar varieties in granite.
Mica Flakes: To introduce the biotite or muscovite mica commonly found in granite.
Alumina (Al2O3): Adjusted to represent the aluminum content accurately.
Polymer Resin: A high-quality resin that mimics the clear, glassy matrix of natural granite.
Catalyst: A slow-reacting catalyst to allow for proper mixing and molding before the hardening process begins.
Color Pigments: Natural mineral pigments to replicate the natural color variations.
Granite Dust: Finely ground natural granite to provide the authentic granitic texture.
Metal Oxide Powders: Small amounts of titanium dioxide, iron oxide, and other metal oxides to simulate the trace minerals present in granite.
The process would involve carefully mixing these components to achieve a heterogeneous mixture that resembles the random, speckled pattern of natural granite. The mixture would then be poured into a mold and allowed to cure slowly, ensuring that the mica flakes and granite dust are evenly distributed throughout the material.

To further enhance the authenticity, the surface could be treated with a clear sealant that has a slight gloss, replicating the luster of polished granite. The final product should have a granular texture and a speckled appearance with a blend of colors and mineral inclusions that make it indistinguishable from natural granite to the untrained eye.

It’s important to note that while the synthetic material may look like natural granite, a trained geologist would likely be able to distinguish it from the real thing upon close inspection, especially with tests that analyze the material’s composition and structure. However, for aesthetic purposes, this enhanced formula aims to closely mimic the appearance of natural granite.

You
Thank you! This has been an inspiring conversation.

Copilot
You’re very welcome! I’m glad to hear that you found our conversation inspiring. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Good luck with your creative endeavors! 😊
there was some process that primitive man figured out that would allow this to work. my question is, why cast some small pieces with absolutely gigantic pieces? cement takes a long fucking time to cure. the smaller blocks are understandable and easier to transport and put in place. the really big ones? i have no idea.
iu

Chris

Potato del Grande
A summary would be appreciated.

If it's the concrete theory, I want to know why modern quarried marble has it too (top right).

20240330_122654.jpg

The tour guides at The Parthenon were saying it was part of the quarrying technique and I've seen a someone shaping stone on TV who ended up with a knob.

Last edited:

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Too many knobs for a wooden structure in the above picture. Imo knobs were there to help support the blocks/distribute the load for moving them. Then some could be used for Support ....Problem with this sort of design is even stone will shear with enough stress, it is why columns are the main method of support. Heck building walls are technically a type of column, we don't think of them in that way but they are.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Too many knobs for a wooden structure in the above picture. Imo knobs were there to help support the blocks/distribute the load for moving them. Then some could be used for Support ....Problem with this sort of design is even stone will shear with enough stress, it is why columns are the main method of support. Heck building walls are technically a type of column, we don't think of them in that way but they are.
Yeah I'm not claiming that, I wasn't clear, my fault.

The pic I took is knobs as a stonemasonry leftover with the way they cut the stone. Top right has a modern stone that has it.

The video additionally talked about Putlog hole - Wikipedia and the inverse as possibilities, so I mentioned that too.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I watched it, She categorizes them 4 ways;

Rope attachments for lifting, the ones at the center of gravity
Top nubbinses for wooden structures or curtains
Shaped nubs for a kind of joint for connecting them
Bottom nubs are where a vaccum type device was used to suck away material if the block was overfilled

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I watched it, She categorizes them 4 ways;

Rope attachments for lifting, the ones at the center of gravity
Top nubbinses for wooden structures or curtains
Shaped nubs for a kind of joint for connecting them
Bottom nubs are where a vaccum type device was used to suck away material if the block was overfilled
she goes into it as soon the video starts, its only a 20 minute video and she already answers Chris in the first minute. you didnt have to explain it if he isnt willing to watch ten seconds.

Chris

Potato del Grande
she goes into it as soon the video starts, its only a 20 minute video and she already answers Chris in the first minute. you didnt have to explain it if he isnt willing to watch ten seconds.
I'm walking home and browsing the internet, you've posted a 24 minute video with zero comment or context on why you have posted it..

I can reply on what I assume it's about while walking, or delay my second BG3 playthrough by potentially 25 minutes to watch it, or mute the award winning voice acting to listen.

I made a good choice.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm walking home and browsing the internet, you've posted a 24 minute video with zero comment or context on why you have posted it..

I can reply on what I assume it's about while walking, or delay my second BG3 playthrough by potentially 25 minutes to watch it, or mute the award winning voice acting to listen.

I made a good choice.
What context did you require that the title of the video and thumbnail did not provide? I know your haters think you don't know what the hell you're talking about, I try to be more open and fair, but holy shit, man I didn't think I needed to tell you what the video was about when it says right there what it's about in the title and the cute azn lady summarizes what she's about to explain at the very start of the video. If you're curious about the different types of knobs, then watch the video and she walks you through the entire thing. 24 minutes is short enough to handle even if you suffer from ADHD.

Chris

Potato del Grande
What context did you require that the title of the video and thumbnail did not provide? I know your haters think you don't know what the hell you're talking about, I try to be more open and fair, but holy shit, man I didn't think I needed to tell you what the video was about when it says right there what it's about in the title and the cute azn lady summarizes what she's about to explain at the very start of the video. If you're curious about the different types of knobs, then watch the video and she walks you through the entire thing. 24 minutes is short enough to handle even if you suffer from ADHD.
Do you agree with the video or disagree?

Is the video mainstream archeology or conspiracy?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Do you agree with the video or disagree?

Is the video mainstream archeology or conspiracy?
she gives her opinion on what each type of knob is and i agree with most of it. some parts such as the knobs being used to hold ropes i find impractical as those knobs are so worn away and rounded, its difficult to tell if ropes can hold to with them and they are so massive you would need a decent crane. but yes, its possible so i can give it a pass. its a good video. i watched the entire thing. i dont post videos i have no interest in watching myself.