Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Goonsquad Officer
Ds1 is like a 3d metroidvania more than an open world. Its a tangle of dungeon rooms and encounters you criss cross through

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Yes, it is quite a good design that make pathing pretty flexible. At least until you accidentally go down the Great Tree too early on your first run and end up in Ash lake, save at a bonfire before you have the lordvessel, and then run out of decurse consumables. The bosses were easy but it took me a week to get back up the tree.

• 1Worf

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Super curious why you say this. Is it just the fact it's not an open world?

From my perspective, ignoring the style and system choices that are intentionally made (like open world or not), the differences between all of the FromSoft iterations are pretty small and obvious results of gradual evolution. But I'd hardly consider the older games "archaic."

The lack of open world probably played into it some. It just felt super clunky and dated to me when I tried it. And not just a small step backwards, but a massive one.

I had some initial trepidation about going back all the way to DS1 but was excited enough to give it a try anyway.

I acknowledge that it's certainly possible that I gave up too early on it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
If you've played DS1, DS2 and ER, Dark Souls 3 can be safely skipped.

But why? There is so much crap out there today and DS3 is in the top 5% of games available. It would probably be in the top 1% of games if you played, and liked, the other souls games. Why skip it?

I also noticed no one is mentioning Bloodborne. That one must be played since it was clearly the best one of the FromSoft games until Elden Ring was released.

• 1Truth!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
But why? There is so much crap out there today and DS3 is in the top 5% of games available. It would probably be in the top 1% of games if you played, and liked, the other souls games. Why skip it?

I also noticed no one is mentioning Bloodborne. That one must be played since it was clearly the best one of the FromSoft games until Elden Ring was released.
If you've played 200-300 hours in FromSoft soulslike games and can't get enough of it, then yeah, play another one. But if you don't, don't feel like you've somehow missed out on a unique experience. Conversely, if you played any of the DS games and enjoyed them, you're missing out if you don't play ER.

Personally I beat DS1 and DS2 and about halfway through DS3 I tapped out because it was getting repetitive.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider

Bloodborne is actually the one I really wanted to try the most as it seems most people hold it in the highest regard when compared to ER.

Unfortunately, I don't own a PS so, unless they release a remaster/PC port of it, it's off the table.

• 1Like