Factorio

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There is a Data set you need for Material science later, you are literally throwing full trains at Iridium Girders and taking the Stress data you get from that for material science.

You get so much scrap out of that 1 Data set, that if you don't have a robust enough scrap processing setup, it will choke the whole factory.
This conversion is so high volume it's basically iridite -> iron/copper/heavy oil alchemy that impacts your need for iron/copper/oil.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Never played krastorio or SE, but is there a reason why your trains are that short ? I usually try to have a t leas 6-8 wagons in the original game, is there some super wagon there or there is so few items built that you can't wait for a full train to load ?
I also started with 1-4 trains. Switched everything to 1-1 a little bit before unlocking the space elevator. For me it was because trying to figure out city blocks with massive input resources accommodating 1-4 trains was stupid. For instance, I've got multiple blocks that have 7-9 inputs into them. I can cram them into a feeder city block to the production one really well. Trying to fit 1-4 trains though? Yeah, not going to happen.

I also do still end up with quite a few traffic jams that are a giant pain to clear out. Adding even longer trains would make that a nightmare.

For instance, this is what my feeder blocks for my space sciences look like.

Fluids:

Untitled.png

Materials:

Untitled.png

I've got one of the fluid blocks for each of the 5 sciences (material, energy, astronomic, biologic, deep space), and 3 material blocks to truck in everything I need, which is then transported by robots. There are also hybrid ones that I have for making the space fluids that truck in materials and fluids from Nauvis.

Compartmentalizing everything and using 1-1 trains really made everything easier. Like with iron plates, I just have a single block with the bottom half being train stations (ore in, pyroflux in, plates out), and the top being the processing part. Bigger trains mean I need either much larger city blocks, or using two blocks for one resource. And 4k iron plates lasts a long time pretty much everywhere. And if it doesn't, well, I've got like 30 1-1 trains so fuck it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh, and I'm only on 10 planets.

Nauvis
nOrbit
Outposts for holmium, cryonite, iridite/vulcanite, beryl, vitamelange, the asteroid belt, star orbit, and naquitite.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I recently added a 2nd wagon to my trains, but it's caused some issues w/ my jank lines and there can be some stuck conditions that never alert so probably go back to one, lol.

Added six more recyclers and reworked my scrap setup, a little more under control now 🤣

Oh, and:

1715038300531.png

Another step towards starships and space elevators. Probably work on Material 2 next.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure the answer is 'git gud' but... how are you guys managing what resources are needed where for your factories across the different surfaces? Just complex circuit setups so they intelligently request things, simplifying the endpoints you need to supply?

Take Nauvis Orbit for example - right now, i'm clicking around to various requestor chests and looking at the logistic listings to see what i need to resupply and then throwing chunks of that in a rocket. Obviously this is more and more work as I expand orbit more and more and I am sure to properly do this I should be more organized and more standardized in how I am delivering things to different points of the base rather than what I'm doing now... shooting it or cargo rocketing it to orbit in chunks and then using inserters to send it to different provider chests (most raw resources) or directly to their intended destinations (like barrels of specific liquids to their designated assembler). I figure for Nauvis Orbit in particular, this will be my life until we get to the space elevator and then that may change everything as cargo transiting to/from orbit is simplified and can be done via rail?

I take it city blocks are one approach, so you are setting up the bock with automated inputs and outputs and your rail network then handles the inputs and outputs for each block?

Presumably I could look at the logistic network and just note which resources are vital and compare that result. Based on my limited experience with cybersyn I can probably set something up to tell me that we have more or less of each resource than I'd like?

For cross-surface automation, so far I've only just setup one transmitter/receiver and cannon, which just makes sure a box doesn't fall below a certain level of iron plates. That's pretty much it so far though when it comes to full automation :emoji_laughing: .

Man, this has been a fun run. Hope we can finish it and take enough of a break to restart when the official stuff releases.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I went with delivery cannons. Rockets just became too annoying. I processed everything into ingots (or vulcanite blocks) on the outpost and sent them with delivery cannons.

Think I had like 7 receivers/cannons for vulcanite blocks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Last time I played there was no Space Elevator, and even the basic Space Faring automation was very very very basic.

They have absolutely added tons of QoL with having better ships with circuit conditions. And the SE that thing just makes me wanna play again .. But not really no time =/

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm sure the answer is 'git gud' but... how are you guys managing what resources are needed where for your factories across the different surfaces? Just complex circuit setups so they intelligently request things, simplifying the endpoints you need to supply?
Basically.

Speaking of spending hours fixing things that aren't broken, I rehauled my rocket transmissions from my mall on Nauvis. Like most SE players, in my factory each planet outpost has its own rocket landing that receives all the items for the outpost. Unlike most players, I built the Nauvis side to have a unique inserter for each resource that's needed and one requester chest per three inserters. The inserter would then only insert if that resources was needed.

View attachment 524565

It works fine, but it's larger than it needs to be, has more entities, creates an additional in the requester chests and is slow at transmitting any given resources. Worst of all, it takes more time to set everything up or change. Now that I know better, most players do something waaaay smarter that uses a requester chest that you can set the signal of (which I didn't know was possible when I designed the above method), I didn't read this page too closely but it looks similar to what I came up with this morning: Guide: Rocket Circuitry - Space Exploration

View attachment 524566

The thing I'm doing that's probably uncommon is I discovered by accident you can load fuel from the back of the rocket silo, and I use bob's inserters to ultra-dump any materials from the small requester chest in the top right (It's like, hundreds of items a second).

If anyone wants me to go into detail on the four circuits I can, but they basically send the needed items from my outpost to the requester chest if the rocket is built and has empty space.
I can send pics of the receiving side, but it's basically a lander, a signal transmitter, some constant cominbators with a handful of each entity type I'll need (and a ton of rocket parts, elevator cables, meteor defense items), and then storage chests for each item.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Behold, Naq Hauler Mk. II. I don't think I showed off Naq Hauler Mk. I but this one uses antimatter drives, has 4 warehouses for Naquitite and has force fields to prevent damage from rare events where asteroids are very dense.

There are 4 different locations it cycles through.

There is a secret space anomally, Foenestra, that has a static travel distance of 10k to anywhere in the star map, so the maximum distance you have to travel is 20k. I think this makes space travel a little too easy, but this circuitry takes advantage of that.

I've been looking forward to building space ships in SE and it hasn't let me down at all. I'm still iterating on simple, obvious designs but it's satisfying.

View attachment 526482
Naq Hauler Mk. III

I found this calculator for ship speed: Spaceship Speed Calculator

I guess it's an approximation of a recursive function but is decently accurate, within a few "speeds" of my top speed in this ship.

1715448413009.png

53714277055_311c51bf56_o.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Built my first Naqium Ingot factory, pretty happy with it.

downscaled:

53666399892_af29841d6c_k.jpg

full pic

Naquitite processing is notoriously busy because it has to be mined outside the solar system and only stacks till ten. Most people do an intermediate processing at the mining site (which precludes the usage of production modules), but I chose to bring it in raw because I wanted to stress a high throughput system.

There's a few things I changed up. Generally for my 4 cargo wagon trains I funnel the four buffer chests into a single buffer chest to guarantee even consumption of the buffer chests, ex, my copper chests here:

View attachment 525662

This has two problems:
1. You incur a UPS cost from the entry and exit of the buffer chest (which can be quite large for large chests)
2. You then have to distribute out of that chest to through your factory, which can be quite annoying in high consumption scenarios.

So I tried to ditch that funnel buffer and instead output it raw. This has the issue of imbalancing the chests which can either cause the factory to be underprovisioned or cause overshipping of trains, which can cause trains to be occupied longer than you want (which isn't a big deal in this situation because the only 1-4-1 trains I have coming from nauvis orbit to nauvis is for this purpose, but whatever).

To address that I did two things:
1. Used some fancy circuits to set my request amount (and even integrated in the LUA scripting mod: Moon Logic )
2. Used some basic circuits to balance the chests.

View attachment 525663

You can see the circuit logic for #1 here, basically it takes the most needed resource and multiplies it by 4 to request only when one chest needs it. The inserters to the left do some balancing of the chests. I generally have equivalent consumption of each chest, but it's imperfect.

After pulverising the naquitite ore, I'm using direct insertion to move them to the chemical factories, which is made easy with Bob's Inserters

View attachment 525665

This is more UPS efficient than going building->belt->building, but requires a lot more effort.

Another thing I tried for the first time is used a sort of self-feeding inserter going into a loader
View attachment 525666

This factory has a lot of byproducts, and in this case there are three byproducts that the system itself consumes *rolls eyes*. I think that mechanic is dumb and have historically solved it by creating an output that feeds back into a belt with some basic prioritization. This makes use of the fact that loaders will overfeed factories more than inserters, so it'll load up that byproduct and only use the inserter when it needs to.
Here's my naq factory 2.0. It's a total failure.

full res:

53719928393_d4244fb017_h.jpg

Naquium ingots are unique in K2SE in that they have a bifurcated production of the refined and powdered portions that unite later in the crystals and ingots. It's not a crazy challenge but if it's not handled correctly the factory will lock up like mine currently is. There's a few other inefficiencies introduced by my choice to try and maximize direct insertion. I could probably work through it, but with how much variety there is in the recipes the "chocolate box" style just creates a huge mess so I'm going to redo it.

The larger elements of the factory, including the ininterrupted two rail lines, dedicated elevator, 2-5-2 trains, spaceship, etc are solid though.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think that's a K2 specific thing. In vanilla SE, the crushed/powdered naquium recipes both make both products just in different ratios. And then naquium crystals also shit out more of them. They also shit out a bunch of the byproducts from other outposts, that are also used in the naquium recipes.

The whole chain is a shitshow. It's why I said I hate naquium so much.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I finished scanning Koskomino, my first planet I'm eradicating biters on. It's huge, a radius of 8049 and with a threat of 33% that's a loooot of biters. Going to be a while even with 130 GW or whatever of beam emitters exterminating bugs. I'm not ramping up more solar emitters because I still don't want a huge cache of solar panels I don't need and the cost of having biters just isn't that big of a deal.

One patch is visible. There are ... 4 thousand patches? If each patch takes a beam emitter 15 minutes to clear, that's 4000 * 15 / 6 = 10,000 minutes or 166 hours... This planet is waterless, so no trees or grass (which absorbs polution, so as the beam emitter goes through and burns the biters and creates pollution, most of that pollution is absorbed by nearby biters, creating more biters.... I don't know how biters spawn without pollution being introduced to them.

View attachment 524199

View attachment 524201
finally, damn

1715680649839.png

time to beam nauvis now... it's smaller and closer to the sun, but denser