Gravy's Cooking Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Ok I'm probably going to have to replace appliances in the next year or two.

I'm going to either stay electric but go induction, or get propane installed. Does anyone have a modern induction range and how good is it? My chief concerns are constant low heat (versus cycling on regular electric) and fine temperature control.

Searched for portable propane stove on amazon:

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Ok I'm probably going to have to replace appliances in the next year or two.

I'm going to either stay electric but go induction, or get propane installed. Does anyone have a modern induction range and how good is it? My chief concerns are constant low heat (versus cycling on regular electric) and fine temperature control.

Haven't paid much attention recently, but researched quit a bit a couple years ago.

Getting gas installed was way out of my budget to get installed and pay the hookup fees and stuff, but what I would prefer if I could afford it. In part because it's easier to do freestanding induction burners for specialty use like frying. Or my kitchen has room for both, so with updated vent system would do a small gas range with wok burner and a grill and a full size induction cooktop for regular cooking.

But being poor and cheap, I felt induction was too much better than electric and for not much more cost to not go that direction.

My research and memory:

Leaned towards the Frigidaire Gallery line. Affordable and gets good reviews. Possible bias because the wall oven I wanted, got and love is from the same line. I looked at getting a full stove unit with a second oven to replace my electric cooktop because the cost isn't much more than the cooktop alone.

Samsung gets good reviews, looks great and has a superior griddle space that in theory you put any size pot/pan on it and it adjusts to it (the group of rectangles on the left version cooktop). Lot of frustrated reviews that the touch controls are finicky and splashes of water will change them or the lose the little knob/fob. Samsung also had the biggest single burner than others, if I recall, which is something I wanted that gave them my interest. Just too expensive with those very specific touchy issues that I know would annoy me.

IKEA has affordable units that get great reviews that seemed like a good try it out price.

Downsides: none of the had at least one burner as big as I'd hoped and induction is very precise so won't heat up the same way an oversized pan will on electric or gas. I learned my countertop induction burner was defective trying to do quesadillas in it and only the inner ring worked so the middle of the tortilla would brown in a perfect ring and the outer was barely warm.

Mixed info on safety with someone that has a pace maker, but overall judgement was seemed okay as long as she didn't lay on the thing.

Learning curve involved as induction is definitely a different style of heat source, and some people seem to hate it since it's very opposite from the electric burners most are used to.

All just what my impressions were before I put those plans on the back burner. Place to start research, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Haven't paid much attention recently, but researched quit a bit a couple years ago.

Getting gas installed was way out of my budget to get installed and pay the hookup fees and stuff, but what I would prefer if I could afford it. In part because it's easier to do freestanding induction burners for specialty use like frying. Or my kitchen has room for both, so with updated vent system would do a small gas range with wok burner and a grill and a full size induction cooktop for regular cooking.

But being poor and cheap, I felt induction was too much better than electric and for not much more cost to not go that direction.

My research and memory:

Leaned towards the Frigidaire Gallery line. Affordable and gets good reviews. Possible bias because the wall oven I wanted, got and love is from the same line. I looked at getting a full stove unit with a second oven to replace my electric cooktop because the cost isn't much more than the cooktop alone.

Samsung gets good reviews, looks great and has a superior griddle space that in theory you put any size pot/pan on it and it adjusts to it (the group of rectangles on the left version cooktop). Lot of frustrated reviews that the touch controls are finicky and splashes of water will change them or the lose the little knob/fob. Samsung also had the biggest single burner than others, if I recall, which is something I wanted that gave them my interest. Just too expensive with those very specific touchy issues that I know would annoy me.

IKEA has affordable units that get great reviews that seemed like a good try it out price.

Downsides: none of the had at least one burner as big as I'd hoped and induction is very precise so won't heat up the same way an oversized pan will on electric or gas. I learned my countertop induction burner was defective trying to do quesadillas in it and only the inner ring worked so the middle of the tortilla would brown in a perfect ring and the outer was barely warm.

Mixed info on safety with someone that has a pace maker, but overall judgement was seemed okay as long as she didn't lay on the thing.

Learning curve involved as induction is definitely a different style of heat source, and some people seem to hate it since it's very opposite from the electric burners most are used to.

All just what my impressions were before I put those plans on the back burner. Place to start research, though.
Yea, the gas thing is more a price concern because we only have a circulation hood not venting, which means a bit more construction with. The install would be pretty painless because of access otherwise.

I've seen people using cast iron get around the burner footprint problem I guess? Especially with a griddle.

I guess it can't be worse than electric. I was going to try buying a cheap induction cooktop on Amazon just to see how it works.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've seen people using cast iron get around the burner footprint problem I guess? Especially with a griddle.

I guess it can't be worse than electric. I was going to try buying a cheap induction cooktop on Amazon just to see how it works.

Definitely recommend buying a countertop one to try. Even if you don't like it for a main cooktop, it's handy to have an extra, removed burner. Great for frying or just a secondary burner for big meal prep or to keep things warmed without needing to worry as much about burning. Bonus that it doesn't stay as dangerously hot if there are kids or pets around.

Testing my cast iron on my countertop induction burner confirmed it was busted. Laser temp gun would show like 350 in a perfect inner ring and then drop to barely warm an inch away even though the pan was perfect size for the burner. Black so gets good temp readings whereas stainless is too reflective. Recommend doing that on any new unit to test while still under warranty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
look for 1800w this is the lowend of the regular elements

most induction ranges are 5 elements
2 regular (1800-2500w) (a lot of induction ranges will also link 2 of the regular elements for putting on a griddle)
1 super giant one (3600w this is to impress your friends when you boil i huge pot of water)
1 smaller sauce element (1400w)
1 keep warm element

i got a basic 1800w induction burner
44d5569eb9bd127f3460fa262a693648.png

Crux Portable Induction Cooktop, Electric Hot Plate, Programmable Single Burner with Touchscreen LCD Display, Temperature Control, and Auto Shut Off, 1800 Watt, Black

i haven't used others but it was a good price, i use it for candle making, wax melts in seconds, and you need wax at 180 to add scents and shit, so the fine tempurature control was cool.

i haven't used it to cook food yet, lulz

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Found some honey balsamic glaze that we got from the mother-in-law a while back that I wasn’t sure what to do with. Had some thin chicken breasts laying around, so got the chicken in a bit of seasoned flour/panko and put them in some butter and garlic then threw in some glaze and coated everything. Turned out surprisingly well for just tossing shit in without really knowing what I was doing. Husband ate it all, so seems like a success!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Found some honey balsamic glaze that we got from the mother-in-law a while back that I wasn’t sure what to do with. Had some thin chicken breasts laying around, so got the chicken in a bit of seasoned flour/panko and put them in some butter and garlic then threw in some glaze and coated everything. Turned out surprisingly well for just tossing shit in without really knowing what I was doing. Husband ate it all, so seems like a success!
Sometimes it works out best when you don’t overthink it

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have any experience or opinions with one of these air fryers?

View attachment 527595

View attachment 527596

View attachment 527597

Any thoughts on any of these?
imo get a less functions dedicated air fryer not these damn combos especially the last ninja. kinda end up being master of none. I do have a lot of appliance storage space so I have one of the dedicated bowl types and it does much better than wifes ninja thing she bought at same tone and we end up just using a a regular toaster.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i do like using honey as a binder, i add it when i cook teriyaki