Home buying thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What is or isn't smart doesn't really play into it for a lot of people. Whether it's logical or not the past ~20 years soured a lot of the younger generation on homeownership.

I think a lot of younger people just don't really care to deal with it and there is a fair amount to deal with, in a world where people pay ridiculous sums to have literally anything and everything done for them.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What is or isn't smart doesn't really play into it for a lot of people. Whether it's logical or not the past ~20 years soured a lot of the younger generation on homeownership.

I think a lot of younger people just don't really care to deal with it and there is a fair amount to deal with, in a world where people pay ridiculous sums to have literally anything and everything done for them.
These kids really dont know how to do just basic things. Things I would call someone a city slicker for not knowing 15 years ago. But they can jump on a computer and code a small program for me in half an hour. They also have a "not my job" type of attitude, as well. One of the rental properties had a corrugated pipe come completely off a gutter down spout because "something" knocked it off - instead of just slipping it back on, they called us. For fucks sake, what do you think we're going to do when we come out there? Simple shit like that. This gen is fucked if anything drastic happens.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My tenants are older than me and have 4 kids and I've been called to "fix" some pretty hilarious stuff. The best one was their dryer not working. They knocked the plug out of the outlet somehow and never even thought to check. Hilarious

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My tenants are older than me and have 4 kids and I've been called to "fix" some pretty hilarious stuff. The best one was their dryer not working. They knocked the plug out of the outlet somehow and never even thought to check. Hilarious
how the hell you mistaken knock out a 220 outlet plug

Kais

<Gold Donor>
These kids really dont know how to do just basic things.
It's even worse than that for retirees building their last home. Shit you would have thought they would have figured out 2-3 homes ago. I get calls for our new construction homes at least once a week that goes something like "if the electrician shows up and all he has to do is press the gfi reset hes going to charge you for the trip. Heres a picture of hte gfi with a big red arrow at the button you need to push." next day...."why is he charging me this is unreasonable!!!" It's cause you bought a 6way and tried to plug in your ipad, tv, blender, espresso machine, and toaster oven on the same outlet! I even showed you a picture of the button you push! Pay up, that motherfucker WILL send the bill to collections

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I think my favorite one was a lady complaining that there was a pencil mark left on the corner of the mantel from the trim carpenter who built it. She demands he come out there that day to "fix it". He shows back up, asks to borrow a pencil, erases the mark, and hands her a bill for $150.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
They also have a "not my job" type of attitude, as well. One of the rental properties had a corrugated pipe come completely off a gutter down spout because "something" knocked it off - instead of just slipping it back on, they called us. For fucks sake, what do you think we're going to do when we come out there? Simple shit like that. This gen is fucked if anything drastic happens.
I ran into "it's not my job" a LOT in the last state I lived in. I had some furniture delivery done. One crew to drop off beds, another to assemble frames. Frame guys took 45 minutes to put a bed together. 2 of them. They wouldn't put the mattress on the frame because it wasn't their job. I told them to get the fuck out and did the second bed myself. Took me 10 minutes. Washer dryer guys wouldn't hook them up because the water line was leaking. I told them it was wet because I just unhooked the old washer. They left both units in the hallway and left.

These guys were all over 30 and probably wondering why they were delivering furniture.

I doubt I'd be able to run any kind of business that employs people because almost no one under 40 has any kind of work ethic.

I know a guy who rents a lot of units. Big family business...100's of units. He charges for everything allowable. Light bulb? $60 to install. People pay it, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user