Home Improvement

Haus

<Silver Donator>
We got the leaf sucker, too, and while it does good work, it was not designed for someone of my height, heh. I have to lift my arm so damn much to keep the bag from dragging on the ground. Had to just permanently give that duty to the husband, because it was murdering my back.

So far we got the mower, blower, trimmer, and the leaf mulched. I do really want to get an edger. Seeing those nice clean sidewalks in front of the neighbors’ is making me jelly.
Attach a strap to it and go over shoulder of cross body. It doesn't come with a strap, but if you look I believe there are a couple hook on points for one. So.. go tell your husband "If I'm going to use the big toys, I need to be able to strap them on". That should work out great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I'm an electrician by trade. Health is FUCKED or I would be right back in it as it sure seems like you can charge WTF ever you want.

Btw I think I mentioned here, I got 2 painting quotes to do 4 building exteriors a while back, one for 8K and one for 3. $3K seemed reasonable so that's where I went. To offset that BS, I've been getting my 1.5 acre property sprayed for weeds yearly. 1st year I did it myself , was about $500 all in (including new sprayer, rig for the truck, and chemical). Then Roundup lawsuits and the chemical went through the roof. Since then I'd been using the same company to do my yard. It was $550 the 1st year, and last year it was $680.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I got quoted 45k to do interior paint on 2500 sq feet when it was empty.
I think that's code for "We don't want this job but we will do it if you are desperate enough to massively overpay for it."

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I think that's code for "We don't want this job but we will do it if you are desperate enough to massively overpay for it."
That at least I understand, but I've had multiple tradesmen come to my house, spend 30-60 minutes talking about the job, and then never deliver an estimate despite multiple follow-ups. WTF, why waste everyone's time?

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nope I had 4 between like 38k and 45k. They just legitimately thought people would pay it.

• 2WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just did first spray of the year for mosquitos because we want to start using the back yard more.

I was quoted 1800-2300 per season for professional spraying. This is my third year using a cheap tomahawk fogger and Proflex.

Overall investment so far has been something like $480 including fuel. I do treatments just on underside of leaves that aren't flowering (less bee impact) on the perimeter of the yard, let the mosquitos take the pesticide back to where they are spawning.

Looks like I'm running out of Proflex, maybe make it the season. Still 2.5 seasons for $80 is a great deal. You could spend that much on citronella candles for a single party.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nope I had 4 between like 38k and 45k. They just legitimately thought people would pay it.
Man, that's insane. I guess there's a shortage of painters around or something. Can't imagine charging that much for a job that 2 guys could do in like 3 days. Painting isn't even particularly hard or require a lot of equipment.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Man, that's insane. I guess there's a shortage of painters around or something. Can't imagine charging that much for a job that 2 guys could do in like 3 days. Painting isn't even particularly hard or require a lot of equipment.
It was during the height of COVID market mania so I'm sure there's probably more opportunity now but still.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

sorry I am old late on the AC leak discussion.

But.. a bottle of soapy spray water is cheaper than a 700$ test... most of the time any refrigerant leaks are at sweat points or other fastening areas. - its a "gas" or well, liquid that is escaping - it will make little bubbles if you spray the areas with soapy water and watch. If you cannot get to your indoor and outdoor units for some reason that is a difficult thing.

If you can get to both units, and they think there is a leak in the line somewhere and want 700$ to find it.. how much is a new line kit to just re-run the darn thing as you seem to be paying for a complete re-fill on the coolant anywho... also the new coolant sucks and isn't any cheaper than the old stuff that worked better... "OH MY OZONE"

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
sorry I am old late on the AC leak discussion.

But.. a bottle of soapy spray water is cheaper than a 700$ test... most of the time any refrigerant leaks are at sweat points or other fastening areas. - its a "gas" or well, liquid that is escaping - it will make little bubbles if you spray the areas with soapy water and watch. If you cannot get to your indoor and outdoor units for some reason that is a difficult thing.

If you can get to both units, and they think there is a leak in the line somewhere and want 700$ to find it.. how much is a new line kit to just re-run the darn thing as you seem to be paying for a complete re-fill on the coolant anywho... also the new coolant sucks and isn't any cheaper than the old stuff that worked better... "OH MY OZONE"
Just (last month or so) had a new line set run due to leaks , $2500 all in.

Siliconemelons

Dang….

Few hours on YouTube - order of refrigerant online and a A/C toolkit and vac pump from harbor freight your most likely 1500in w line.

The copper soldering / sweating is much easier w the o2 or whatever is a step up from propane

Siliconemelons

lol if i was not super tall (and fat) i would have been a better attic monkey in my life.

My line set is super easy and in the garage and open garage attic.

Not everyone has a fairly easy run with their copper.

I have to do a fix on my handler as when it was installed 1 of the 4 sides where the handler blows out isn’t fully sealed… never really got around to sealing it as I can’t (nor could the installer apparently lol) get around well to tape it properly… so i have a plan to do it from the inside… ohhhhooo

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
man for 2500 i woulda thought about doing a 3zone mini split
I believe I noted here earlier but they messed me around and I raised so much hell they split the cost of the gas with me so it was actually $1700ish but 2500 was the quote. This will get us through the summer at least and the problem area was addressed where it hopefully won't happen again. The ground here is very rocky and the old line set and rubbed against rocks enough to wear through. Anyhow, if it pops back up I'm doing a mini-split system or a whole heatpump package unit , that has a bigger outlay cost as I'd need new duct work but my in-laws did it 8-9 years ago and have zero issues at all.