The "Shit I just bought" thread

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I'm curious to know how it works because of all the ones I've ever used were kind of shit.
I'll let you know. I haven't been out yet. Weather here's been awful. Cold, windy and stormy. Today it hailed with high winds. Maybe next week 'cuz the forecast for the rest of this week is not looking good. Yay, Idaho.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I'm curious to know how it works because of all the ones I've ever used were kind of shit.
The weather finally turned, and we had the chance to go yachting today.

This is a pedal boat. If you want to go from point a to point b quickly, pick something else, anything really, including swimming. These boats have got to be the most inefficient way to travel ever invented. That's probably why you're kind of sour on them.

On the other hand, we enjoyed it more that the kayaks. For one, there’s no water dripping down the oars into your armpits. It’s also just way more relaxed. There’s a sweet spot in the pedaling that gets you moving and pedaling faster doesn’t change your speed. It's cadence like bicycling on level ground. I think we could pretty much have kept it up all day. Our top speed was about 2.5mph but 1-1.5 was the norm. We need to get an anchor because the breeze and waves will cause you to drift the second you stop pedaling and you don't want to wake up miles away after your nap.

We'll definitely use this boat more than we used the kayaks even though it's a little more work because of the trailer and its weight.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
The weather finally turned, and we had the chance to go yachting today.

This is a pedal boat. If you want to go from point a to point b quickly, pick something else, anything really, including swimming. These boats have got to be the most inefficient way to travel ever invented. That's probably why you're kind of sour on them.

On the other hand, we enjoyed it more that the kayaks. For one, there’s no water dripping down the oars into your armpits. It’s also just way more relaxed. There’s a sweet spot in the pedaling that gets you moving and pedaling faster doesn’t change your speed. It's cadence like bicycling on level ground. I think we could pretty much have kept it up all day. Our top speed was about 2.5mph but 1-1.5 was the norm. We need to get an anchor because the breeze and waves will cause you to drift the second you stop pedaling and you don't want to wake up miles away after your nap.

We'll definitely use this boat more than we used the kayaks even though it's a little more work because of the trailer and its weight.
F250NFSTX_pob-1606186140.jpg

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I had a 30lb Minn Kota on another boat I used to own but the alternative to that was rowing which I was never coordinated enough to do. I've thought about putting one on this boat but it quadruples the registration cost from $7 to over $30 and adds additional weight and complexity to what is supposed to be relaxing. That doesn't seem worth it when the alternative is simply pedaling and any uncoordinated moron, me included, can do that. But it's not out of the question, yet.

Also, if you want to go fast, get a different boat.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I had a 30lb Minn Kota on another boat I used to own but the alternative to that was rowing which I was never coordinated enough to do. I've thought about putting one on this boat but it quadruples the registration cost from $7 to over $30 and adds additional weight and complexity to what is supposed to be relaxing. That doesn't seem worth it when the alternative is simply pedaling and any uncoordinated moron, me included, can do that. But it's not out of the question, yet.

Also, if you want to go fast, get a different boat.
What about adding a trolling motor? Much smaller, likely doesn't change your registration and you can pop it on and off pretty easily.

Something like this: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...RhP1BqbzKfY7ZUD_vwx0yB9YKq6lxhA16gYYEpsTj6_QA

lurker

Vyemm Raider
What about adding a trolling motor? Much smaller, likely doesn't change your registration and you can pop it on and off pretty easily.

Something like this: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...RhP1BqbzKfY7ZUD_vwx0yB9YKq6lxhA16gYYEpsTj6_QA
That's what I was referencing in my post. In Idaho, putting that trolling motor on your boat makes it motorized and you must register it for around $30/year, not a big deal. Right now, my boat is not required to be registered. I just have to buy a $7 'invasive species sticker'. I still might do it sometime in the future but for now, pedaling works. I don't need to go far or fast.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
That's what I was referencing in my post. In Idaho, putting that trolling motor on your boat makes it motorized and you must register it for around $30/year, not a big deal. Right now, my boat is not required to be registered. I just have to buy a $7 'invasive species sticker'. I still might do it sometime in the future but for now, pedaling works. I don't need to go far or fast.
Ah got it. I figured they'd look at outboard motors differently than trolling motors just due to the size and power of them.