Woodworking

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Can anyone recommend any sort of vice or jig for drilling the end of table legs? Just going to clamp to the table and spin the top of the drill to do it on the current project, but figured I'd ask.

I'd just eyeball and do it by hand with a drill. It won't matter for leveling feet if you're off by a couple of degrees over three quarters of an inch. I might invest in a forstner bit set over a spade bit. They'll jump around less. A classic bit and brace would do it too with perhaps more control, but sourcing a good one can be tricky.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys. Will respond when I'm back at the computer. Taper I sketched out has the bottom at half the width of the top, fyi

If the question is "how do I hold a non rectangular leg in my vise to drill the end" you have 2 choices:
1. Save the offcut when you make the taper and use that
2. Make clamping forms /jigs to hold your part.

If that's not your question, I'm not sure what is?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If the question is "how do I hold a non rectangular leg in my vise to drill the end" you have 2 choices:
1. Save the offcut when you make the taper and use that
2. Make clamping forms /jigs to hold your part.

If that's not your question, I'm not sure what is?

I'd add 3) clamp and drill the hole while the part is still rectangular, then be careful to make the taper cuts to the hole is centered at the end.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If I'm going to recess a leveling foot into the bottom and only have 1/4in thick walls in 4 spots when I do so, it seemed like a better idea to use the press instead of hand holding. Apparently not.