3 weeks in europe

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Herrt

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wife and I are heading to Europe in april.
6 nights in paris, 3 in Brussels, 1 in cologne, 6 in Berlin and 4 in Amsterdam.
Don't like to shop or check out fashion. Love architecture and art.

Main reason is to attend the 100th anniversary of Vimy Ridge.
Besides the normal stuff is there anything off the beaten path that should not be missed.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know much about art but if you want to see medieval architecture, my #1 recommendation is Bruges. Absolutely beautiful city and easy to get to from Brussels (or even Amsterdam)

Luxembourg is roughly on your way from Brussels to Cologne, and gorgeous. Maastricht is also on that way and has a historic center.

Rotterdam is 45 minutes from Amsterdam and trying very hard to position itself on international architecture lists, all modern though since it (like so many European cities) got bombed to bits in WW2. Still, might be worth checking out.

Amsterdam's historic defenses (forts etc) might be interesting depending on what interests you about architecture. Stelling van Amsterdam - Wikipedia

Herrt

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't know much about art but if you want to see medieval architecture, my #1 recommendation is Bruges. Absolutely beautiful city and easy to get to from Brussels (or even Amsterdam)

Amsterdam's historic defenses (forts etc) might be interesting depending on what interests you about architecture. Stelling van Amsterdam - Wikipedia

Thank you for the reply, We had planned with one of the 3 days in Brussels to do a day trip to Bruges.

The link you left is fantastic we have a day trip to Het Loo Palace while we are in amsterdam and everything else we had planned might take another day so we have a couple to take a look around the Stelling might just fit the bill.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Welcome. If you like forts you could also check out the town of Naarden, which is a fortified town with star fortress style defense lines, all restored. Also has one of the oldest (14th century) churches in the country. Quite close to Amsterdam.
Naarden - Wikipedia

Some other places with military/historic interest:
-Arnhem (scene of the WW2 battle from "A bridge too far"), also has a well known zoo and the open air museum where you can get a hands-on look at history (I'm sure every single person in the Netherlands has been here on a school trip)
-Den Helder (fortress Kijkduin (built by Napoleon), Navy museum (mostly 19th-20th century ships)
-Maritime museum in Amsterdam has a replica of a Dutch East India ship ( Amsterdam (VOC ship) - Wikipedia )

Art:
-Haarlem (Frans Hals museum)
-The Hague (Mauritshuis and the M.C. Escher museum, also many historic buildings and the political capital of the country)
-Maastricht (Bonnefantenmuseum, also some historic buildings and a history dating to Roman times)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yo I'm gonna let you finish but lemme hijack this thread for a minute.

gonna be in the UK for 5 days in December. going to see a concert in Manchester on one of the days.

Debating what to do the other 4. Don't really give a fuck about architecture or historical shit, just looking to have a good time. debating a trip to Dublin for a day or 2 to get shit faced with irishmen cus why not, otherwise don't really have any inkling of what to do.

Go

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Don't joke my wife is already nervous... besides getting guns on planes is hard nowadays...
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm scared of high towers now too.
det-taarnhoje-helvede.jpg

twin-towers-2_1817913c1.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

gonna be in the UK for 5 days in December. going to see a concert in Manchester on one of the days.

Debating what to do the other 4. Don't really give a fuck about architecture or historical shit, just looking to have a good time. debating a trip to Dublin for a day or 2 to get shit faced with irishmen cus why not, otherwise don't really have any inkling of what to do.

Go

Dublin is a blast. They party hard. I also can't recommend Spain enough. Best place ever.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Go

Manchester I didn't care much for, Liverpool is 40 minutes away and much nicer, unless you hate Beatles themed stuff. Chester is also nearby and very nice if you decide you want to look at some historic buildings after all.

Never been to Dublin but not a bad plan I think.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Go

Worth having a day in Liverpool which isn't far from Manchester.

Lot's of tourist stuff to do in Liverpool, especially around the Albert Dock which is home to a number of museums Homepage - Albert Dock

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yeah no offense but we kinda decided fuck your country only going to stay in the UK long enough for the concert, we're gonna be in Ireland the majority of the time

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Go

Dublin is fun. You won't run out of things to do. Take the Holyhead ferry over.

Be advised, the Irish are very into American politics and have some unusual ideas about US govt. If you are from stateside, expect to spend some time answering for the US's current political climate. They will assume, as an American, you are largely responsible.

That said, it's very worth it. Dublin was one of my least favorite places in Ireland, but was still a blast.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I had a great time in Northern Ireland. Spent almost a week in Derry. I would love to go back someday. And yes, be prepared for all sorts of American political discussions.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Day 2 in London and I finally met a British person. It's been nothing but Pakistanis and Polish so far.

Also flew through Moscow on the way in, couldn't smoke in the airport (not enough time to exit and go back through security, after an 11 hour flight), couldn't drink vodka or any real alcohol in the airport bar.
It's like these faggots are Muslim or something.

Wtf is this shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Day 2 in London and I finally met a British person. It's been nothing but Pakistanis and Polish so far.

Also flew through Moscow on the way in, couldn't smoke in the airport (not enough time to exit and go back through security, after an 11 hour flight), couldn't drink vodka or any real alcohol in the airport bar.
It's like these faggots are Muslim or something.

Wtf is this shit.

I'm in London tonight and tomorrow morning

Where are you staying?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm in Ireland now bro. I was only in London overnight. I'll be back in the UK (Manchester) on the 13th