7 year old needs liver transplant

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Hi all, i know that I'm just a stranger on the internet, but I'm hoping you'll give this a read. I'll make it short.

I know a wonderful couple with 3 young boys. The oldest is 7 and was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder that has destroyed his liver. It's treatable and he can live a long life.

He had a liver transplant this past Sunday and the cost, all tolled, will be about $1 million. The family's insurance caps out at $250k and there's also a charity called COTA that helps families crowdfund donations to assist.

The bill for this will crush this gentle family. If you have it in your heart to help a random stranger, please check this out. I promise it's legit:

If you can spare anything at all, your generosity will be greatly appreciated. If you have nothing extra, I understand and I know that the family will appreciate prayers if you're so inclined.

Little Roman is still in the ICU - the transplant was successful. He should be in a normal room by the end of the week. He'll stay in the hospital at least 4 weeks. Probably 6.

I'm just some dude on the internet, but I'm going to beg for your compassion on this boy and his family. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll tell you what I can without doxxing them.

Thank you for thoughts, prayers, and donations.

Sludig

Potato del Grande
Glad you arn't asking for a liver just money, I couldn't do it. At a stretch a kidney.

Maybe our finance people could talk about it. I've heard people try to say these days medical debt is no longer able to completely trash your credit? Or basically w/ the numbers at play here, rather than trying to pay little bits towards the bill for the rest of their lives potentially, this might be the exact scenario that trying to full blown bankruptsy etc might be best, some short term pain to hopefully get discharged from a lot of it.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Glad you arn't asking for a liver just money, I couldn't do it. At a stretch a kidney.

Maybe our finance people could talk about it. I've heard people try to say these days medical debt is no longer able to completely trash your credit? Or basically w/ the numbers at play here, rather than trying to pay little bits towards the bill for the rest of their lives potentially, this might be the exact scenario that trying to full blown bankruptsy etc might be best, some short term pain to hopefully get discharged from a lot of it.

It seems, at least in this specific scenario, everyone involved knows it's a near impossible burden. I believe that once the insurance and the charity pays, the family will be put on a means adjusted payment plan and just pay on it until they die or it's paid off. Almost nobody can afford this.

Sludig

Potato del Grande
It seems, at least in this specific scenario, everyone involved knows it's a near impossible burden. I believe that once the insurance and the charity pays, the family will be put on a means adjusted payment plan and just pay on it until they die or it's paid off. Almost nobody can afford this.
Hence looking into flat out ceasing payments at some point if it's true they can no longer go into garnishment on medical debts only harass w/ collectors, or trying to discharge the debt through bankruptsy....

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Hence looking into flat out ceasing payments at some point if it's true they can no longer go into garnishment on medical debts only harass w/ collectors, or trying to discharge the debt through bankruptsy....
I don't think the hospital /doctors take this to the point of wage garnishment or debt collection. From what I've heard so far, everyone is working together and the family is willing to make payments long term as long as they are reasonable.

Regardless, if anyone reads this and can afford to send them a dollar or 5, everyone involved would be grateful.

Furry

🌭🍔🇺🇦✌️SLAVA UKRAINI!✌️🇺🇦🍔🌭
<Gold Donor>
WHERE ARE THE TITS.

• 1Like
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think the hospital /doctors take this to the point of wage garnishment or debt collection. From what I've heard so far, everyone is working together and the family is willing to make payments long term as long as they are reasonable.

Regardless, if anyone reads this and can afford to send them a dollar or 5, everyone involved would be grateful.
Doctors have almost nothing to do with the billing for stuff like this.

I virtually guarantee the transplant surgeon doesn’t even make $1 million in a year much less off of one patient. Sadly most of that money goes to a legion of random MBA school drones, nurses that haven’t worked at the bedside in 15 years, chandeliers/grand pianos in the hospital lobby and the next fancy building with floor to glass windows that the hospital CEO wants to build.

Ignoring the bill would be interesting gamble for a transplant patient. On one hand for most situations usually you would have trouble getting follow up appointments if you don’t pay your bill, but in the case of organ transplants their success numbers/outcomes are tracked extremely closely to the point I bet they’d keep taking care of people for free out of fear of hurting their numbers.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Doctors have almost nothing to do with the billing for stuff like this.

I'm aware. Perhaps "billing for the physicians" as a separate entity would have been more precise.

I'm not in a position to tell them to do anything in particular with regard to this medical debt. I am intentionally not engaging the conversation about bankruptcy vs refusing to pay, etc.

They are smart and honorable people. They will negotiate as best they can within legal and moral limits they set and then pay the rest.

I understand that massive medical debt is a problem that people feel strongly about. I don't want to debate it in this thread. I would like to keep it focused on helping this family for whoever is able and has the heart for it.

• 2Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Update: Roman was able to eat for the first time since the transplant (about 68 hrs ago). He also was able to sit up. He had cheerios with milk :). So far so good. Thank you for any continued goodwill / assistance.

• 5Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Update on Roman:

Good news to report:

The family was able to find a place to stay for the next month near the hospital which is 3+ hrs from home.

Roman is Moving out of the ICU to the main floor today

Several more tubes were taken out today

Still waiting, though, on his GI tract to get going again. It has been slow to wake up...

Thanks again for your well wishes, prayers and if you can spare a buck, donations as well (link in first post).

A special thank you to the folks who have reached out in PMs and have made donations. God bless you. Your generosity is humbling and appreciated beyond measure.

• 2Like

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Another update for those who are interested:

Roman went outside for the first time without any tubes or wires today.

He had a small procedure yesterday (liver biopsy) and the results show that all systems are improving.

He should be able to go home in 3-4 weeks as long as improvements continue.

Continued prayers are appreciated. Thank you!

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Update: Roman should be discharged some time next week. He'll be able to go home, but will have to go back for monthly tests for the next year.

It looks like between their insurance and fund raising they've covered about 40% of the estimated bill. There's still some negotiations happening, so who knows where it will end up.

Thanks again for your kindness and prayers for this boy and his family!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A lot of times when it becomes clear that the patient can't pay any more, the hospital just eats the remainder of the bill. We had a neighbor who had a stroke and got a 300 mile ride on a life-flight helicopter and a few days in ICU and the bill was like $250k and they had no insurance at all and very little money. We held a benefit for them and raised like $15k but before they could pay the money to the hospital, the hospital sent them a letter saying that their bill had been reduced to $0. They tried to return the benefit money but it would have been so complicated to give back all the small donations that they just wound up telling them to keep the money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user