Advice for middle schoolers taking standarized tests. I score them..

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
So I work for (REDACTED.) They make and administer an amazingly large amount of the United States "Standardized tests". I've been grading 6th graders math tests for the last 3 years for the (REDACTED) test many many many thousands of them take in XYZ states.
I want to pass along some very simple stuff that skirts the NDA to you my fellows who may have kids near said age etc.

If you've seen the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High (double bonus for the book reading btw) the theory that Mr. Hand uses the same quizzes etc every year _Is_True_ (with way way smaller degree of change/new questions than you'd believe). Long winded way of telling your kids to ask what they asked last year. Straight out.

I score word problems that require actual thinking/reading skills and so I "discern" how much of the concept they are attempting test your child on really gets.

Make -sure- your 6th grader can 1, read AND understand (good luck!) instructions. 2) knows how to find the volume of a cubic space like a block of wood (LxHxW) 3) If it says to express your answer in inches, for Allah's sake do so or we/I will have to screw you over despite your showing me you reallllly know what you're doing. 3) No Really.. Make sure they FULLY read and understand the directions from a-z. 4) The "helpful " sheets of info they give the student are pretty much designed to lead you astray and start to think about quarts when the answer is in inches. Herrings galore. 5) Make SURE they know how percentages work. 90% of 140 is NOT 130 it's 126. Subtracting 10 means you fucking lose all of it.. 6) You -cannot- bullshit math word problems. Say IDK and move on. .000029292% chance of guessing a number. Use that time elsewhere 7) Completely impress upon said student that EVERY whole number has a decimal at the end of it. The amount of slaying middle schooler futures because they insisted to me that 100 had no decimal point 100.0000000000000000 saddens me. It's simple fuckups or misunderstandings or lazy read too fast that forces me to give your kid 0/3 or whatever most of the time frankly although the percentage who show me They Just Have No Idea and are mightily trying to BS (see rule 6) is also very high and they too get zeros.

Not trying to start a standardized testing ranting but just letting you guys know what I've seen that your kid Must Know mathwise.
/babble ( My daughters seven nearly eight btw!)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Why on earth would I make my child give a shit about tests that ultimately do not help them in any discernible manner? This shit aint the ACT/SAT, its bullshit quizzes so the school can get a few bucks.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Why on earth would I make my child give a shit about tests that ultimately do not help them in any discernible manner? This shit aint the ACT/SAT, its bullshit quizzes so the school can get a few bucks.
At least in my school district they use the standardized tests as one measure of getting into TAG/G&T programs, so doing well on them is beneficial. Also if you start doing well on them from a young age, then they'll get confidence which will help on the SAT/ACT/LSAT/MCAT/GRE.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, they use those tests down here to determine the next years placement.

I mean they're not super important. But they're important enough that the kid should at least not be a complete dumbass about them.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Standardized tests are a fucking joke. Anyone who needs to study or try hard for them aren't in the 75th percentile anyway. You can tell because even the OP is like "hurr durrr read the instructions idiots".

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Standardized tests are a fucking joke. Anyone who needs to study or try hard for them aren't in the 75th percentile anyway. You can tell because even the OP is like "hurr durrr read the instructions idiots".
I agree to an extent. You still have to teach your kid how to take the tests. That is trivial though for an involved parent.

Here the tests are important because every so often your results are tied to your promotion. If you fail you don't move on to the next grade until you pass the test.

This has become necessary since some districts refuse to fail kids on their own and will pass them on regardless of their qualifications. This get exasperated by parents that don't give a shit about schooling and make no effort to help their kids out.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Not saying the advice isn't interesting, but I think it's funny there's advice to middle schoolers in the grownup forum. This thread feels more like a jimmy rustle tangent TBH.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I remember learning fairly early on for standardized tests there are really only two viable answers assuming it is multiple choice. You can almost immediately throw away two and from the two left you can generally make an educated guess on what the actual answer is. Sometimes it is a 1-5 so you're left with 3 reasonable answers which drastically cuts away your odds of fumbling a correct response.

Like yesterday on reddit someone was bitching about his kid's homework because it was about learning basic fraction. It was a diagram which was split into six parts and it said count the number of yellow parts. Well it was all grayscale so finding "yellow" was kind of difficult. But two of the answers were the same (3/6 and 1/2) so those were immediately off the table. Of the remaining two answers one had the incorrect denominator value (I think it was like 3/8 or something) and the remaining one was 2/6. Even taking a cursory glance at the diagram you could see the each color was represented twice (white, light gray, gray) so this was the obvious correct answer. But the OP was trying to say the question was impossible due to the lack of coloring but it was actually an easy answer where the color wasn't even required to be seen if you do simply answer striking.

Now I'm not sure if the purpose of taking these tests is to learn test taking strategies or not. But it is a fairly important life skill to obtain to be able to narrow down to "close to correct" and then how to shave further to make an educated guess on something you may not know the answer to with 100% certainty. Even subjects I had a pretty good knowledge of in school I'd still take my tests in this fashion. I'd just arrive to a logical conclusion on most answers and then make a note of ones I wasn't completely confident in the answer and re-evaluate it after I took a single pass on the test.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Now I'm not sure if the purpose of taking these tests is to learn test taking strategies or not. But it is a fairly important life skill to obtain to be able to narrow down to "close to correct" and then how to shave further to make an educated guess on something you may not know the answer to with 100% certainty. Even subjects I had a pretty good knowledge of in school I'd still take my tests in this fashion. I'd just arrive to a logical conclusion on most answers and then make a note of ones I wasn't completely confident in the answer and re-evaluate it after I took a single pass on the test.
On the LSAT at least they have an entire section called logic games which you really cannot solve without looking at the available answers and figuring out which one isn't wrong. You don't really know the answer is right most of the time, you just know the other ones can't be right given the data set. It's just designed to test your reasoning skills.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Being a developer I'm also biased towards the importance of developing a strong sense of logic and decision making, though

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I passed 7th grade with straight Fs cause of my end of the year placement test thing, I "tested" high school/college level on it so they assumed I just wasn't challenged enough and moved me to 8th. After that,I learned I never had to do homework and just ace all the tests and I'd keep passing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
A good college is not the only way to make money, it's just the easiest way to make money. Teaching your kids to take tests early on is a great skill to have.