Advise on Sound Card/Headphone pairing; gaming.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
So I'm having to retire my klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 system. Sounds like the amp is going out. I'm going to go with a nice headset and new soundcard as a replacement. I'll probably get 2.1 speakers later this year, but only concerned about the topic right now.

Budget $350 but would like to keep it closer to $300.

I've narrowed my choices down to these two options. Having trouble deciding.

option 1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132010
and
http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-headset-astro-edition

option 2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1
and
http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio...-astro-edition

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Okay, well... you've got a problem with option #2. See that little box that's attached? That acts as a DAC. Which means it plugs into USB, and you plug your headphones directly into the little box itself. Which means it would circumnavigate the sound card completely. So if you go with option #2, leave out the sound card since it acts as one. But if you just want ease-of-use, that may be your best option.

If you aren't concerned with multichannel, honestly I'd consider going with an audiophile-style DAC/AMP combo. I've never heard Astro's, but I'm guessing audiophile grade stuff would blow it out of the water. Fiio makes some decent stuff... an E07k or E17 would do the trick, and would replace the soundcards in your lineup. The pro's being that you can unplug the USB and take it to a laptop, plug it in, and get the same quality. The downside being that you can't plug your mic into it. And your mic would have to be separate. But they're cheap for decent ones, and can sit atop your monitor happily.

As for headphones... I use AIAIAI TMA-1's for gaming. ProAudioStar usually has B-Stock for around a hundred bucks. Sennheiser HD-25's would also be a good choice. Both are tailored for DJ'ing, and can take quite the pounding.

P.S. And if I had to choose from the components you listed, I'd get the A40 headset-only with the cheaper Asus DX/DG soundcard. They are solid cards for the price. And unless your listening to high-resolution vinyl rips in your freetime, you aren't going to really be able to tell the difference for everyday gaming.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
Thanks for linking that thread. Those 598's are sexy but there are drawbacks.

Looks like the Sennheiser 360 would be a better choice for me. I cannot tolerate having not having a mic attached to the headset...mute and volume all on the headset. I guess I won't be calling myself an audiophile anytime soon. Many comments are out there saying that the 360's is a good upgrade from the a40's.

I'm looking at this card instead of the DX. It has a built in amp like the DX but also has dolby headphone which I want to try out.
http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DGX-PCI-...ords=xonar+DGX

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's the sound card that I linked, it will work great for you. tbh you will prolly turn off dobly headphone very quickly, the sound on modern games doesn't need the emulation. The 360s are great, but if you wanted you could buy any nice headphones and use amodmic. Most keyboards have volume/mute controls so it's not a huge deal (mine doesn't so I use a key comboshortcut).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I got a Soundblaster Z for 80 bucks on sale and I feel it's pretty nice. It has a headphone amp, and the Windows drivers aren't bloated like older soundblaster cards.

No linux support yet though.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I honestly wouldn't spend more than $40 bucks to listen to mp3s. If you are an audiophile and have .flacs or regular cds to enjoy maybe get some studio headphones.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
This could be because I haven't had the opportunity to try high-end cards, like a phoebus or stx, but the xonar dgs is $40 (which is what I bought), and listening to lossless audio is a brand new experience. Point is, Not sure what more there is to gain by spending $200 other than features. Maybe someone can explain the audio differences between low end asus cards and $200 cards?

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
This could be because I haven't had the opportunity to try high-end cards, like a phoebus or stx, but the xonar dgs is $40 (which is what I bought), and listening to lossless audio is a brand new experience. Point is, Not sure what more there is to gain by spending $200 other than features. Maybe someone can explain the audio differences between low end asus cards and $200 cards?
Mostly any type of amp and quality DACS will drive up the price of a sound card. This can be a hotly debated topic, so I won't be too authoritative on what i'm saying. But if you can tell a difference, pay for it. If not, then skip the highend.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Word of advice about soundcards: Don't even bother if your motherboard layout is such that the card will be right up next to your video card. You will get EM interference and it will be annoying as fuck.