Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Beauty and the Beast

Genre: Fantasy, Romance

Director: Bill Condon

Cast: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, Audra McDonald, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson, Nathan Mack, Hattie Morahan, Adrian Schiller, Gerard Horan, Haydn Gwynne, Ray Fearon, Clive Rowe, Thomas Padden, Alexis Loizon, Jimmy Johnston, Dean Street, Michael Jibson, Zoe Rainey, Jolyon Coy, Rudi Goodman, Henry Garrett, Harriet Jones, Sophie Reid, Rafaëlle Cohen, Carla Nella, Tom Oakley, Beth Willetts, Simone Sault, Mandy Montanez, Leo Andrew, Steven Butler, Daniel Ioannou, Dale Branston, Lynne Wilmot, Jane Fowler, D.J. Bailey, Rita Davies, Sharon Gomez, Daisy Duczmal, Harry Marcus, Oscar Francisco, Kai Gordon, Tom Burgering, Joey Brown, Freddie Hunter, Daniel Daszek-Green, Samuel Brown, Max Brophy, Skye Lucia Degruttola, Lara Decaro, Gemma Fray, Adelaide Morgan, Timia Julien-Box, Sonoya Mizuno, Abigayle Honeywill, Jazz Peters, Lily Frazer, Stephanie Elstob, Nicole O'Neill, Cassie Clare, Sophie Carmen-Jones, Sophia Brown, Leah West, Naomi Weijand, Jasmine Takacs, Ruth Steele, Lucy St Louis, Katie Singh, Kayla Radam, Courtney Pruce, Nicola Mooi, Anna Momcilovic, Samira Mighty, Fiona McDonald, Abiona Omonua, Cassie Macmillian, Emily Loumba, Jennifer Leung, Ella Kora, Hannah Kenna-Thomas, Billie Kay-Piper, Shireen Jathoonia, Blythe Jandoo, Chelsea Inez, Leah Hill, Selina Hamilton, Helen Gulstan, Lucy Alexa Gilbert, Cj Field, Cordelia Farnworth, Paige Drury-Lawrence, Natalie Davis, Tanya Cumberland, Ava Brennan, Daisy Boyles, Holly Bluett, Koko Basigara, Sophie Atkins, Gabby Antrobus, Rhianne Alleyn, Hayley Ainsley, Danielle Acors, Marina Abdeen, Nathan Vaughan Harris, Ben Clare, Ben Fox, Tim Stanley, Jody Hall, Rebecca Mckinnis, Dawn Buckland, Ellen O'Grady, Alison Jenkins, Ebony Molina, Nicola Keen, Freddie August, Phil Grannel, Jak Allen-Anderson, William Bozier, Vivien Parry, Jacqui Jameson, Norma Atallah, Wendy Baldock, Peter Challis, Sandy Strallen, Jemma Alexander, Chris Andrew Mellon, Alison Harding, Obioma Ugoala, Gizmo, Alex Gillison, Dan Trotter, Karl Farrer, Charlotte Worwood, Marat Khairoullin, Johanna Smitz, Lindy Pieri, Tyrone Love, Alona Leoine, Erica Melargo, Richard Banks, Jeremy Cave, Luke Fictitious, Chloe Collingwood, Isobel Hamilton, Rossana Silva, Crystal Compton, Marlonde Pierre, Paul De La Rosa, Clem So, Teresa Shaughnessy

Release: 2017-03-15

Runtime: 123

Plot: A live-action adaptation of Disney's version of the classic 'Beauty and the Beast' tale of a cursed prince and a beautiful young woman who helps him break the spell.

Homsar

Saw this tonight and enjoyed it, definitely not worth the 3D though. Had no clue Dan Stevens from The show Legion was in it and all I could think of was the Fappening2 the entire time. Luke Evans as Gaston and Ewan Mcgregor as Lumiere were great

I dont remember the original since its been over 20 years so that probably made it more enjoyable for me, GF on the other hand liked the movie as well but it doesnt compare to the Animated movie

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
My gf and I took my two girls to see this tonight. They loved it. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely a family/take SO movie. They changed and added enough to where it didn't feel like watching the same movie.

And yeah, seeing Beast turn into Legion was a bit of a mind fuck at the end, lol.

And I'm of mind like Homsar. I prefer the animated one still.

Homsar

Emma Watson was probably the worst actor in the movie. Kline, Luke Evans, and even shitty Josh Gad had better performances. Also the opening scene with enchantress was pretty cringe worthy, luckily that was one of the only scenes.

laughed at the end when you see a few black people pop up and it feels like they just casted them so they didnt get shit on by SJW

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah the diversity for diversities sake in this movie was just dumb. Yep black people and Asian people at a royal ball in 17th century france is pretty dumb. You could really tell Emma Watson cant get over her idiosyncrasies she developed playing hermione. Also, it appears they heavily modified her voice in some of her songs, especially the first.

I have always had an issue with beauty and the beasts story. Old witch BnE's rich dudes castle and curses him for wanting her off his property. Chicks dad gets captured by a literal monster and then she trades places with him and over the course of a few days she falls in love with him, just because he had some books. Stockholm syndrome to the max. You make a movie about some ugly dude who isn't a rich guy and locks a girl up in his basement but lets her read and its reeeeeeeeeeeeee from the sjw's.

Having said all that, the supporting cast was good.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Emma Watson was okay I guess, but yeah it sounds like they had to auto-tune the fuck out of her voice. The rest of the cast was very good, though. And yeah the random non-white people kind of brought me out of the movie a bit when they showed up, but I dunno if I'm just so used to playing the find-the-forced-diversity game now. The opera lady did very well I thought though, so really didn't matter to me.

The library introduction scene felt a bit disappointing I think. The room was so damn dark and the whole thing was just, hey here's a big library. You can have it, btw. I haven't seen the original in forever, but I remember it havin a lot more weight to it anyway.

The Beast's new song was probably my favorite. The fact that this got heat because of a "gay scene" which amounted to all of 3 awkward seconds at the end of the Gaston song is fucking stupid. Overall, it was enjoyable.

forehead

Trakanon Raider
My wife loved it. She loves all Disney movies. The forced diversity some have mentioned was pretty bad especially in the opening ballroom scene. It seemed like there were more 'people of color' than there were caucasians. Maybe in the upcoming lion King live action movie they'll cast some Scandinavians.

Homsar

Anyone else see this in 3D? I thought the 3d was terrible but some times it comes down to the projector

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We took my daughter to see this today. We didn't see it in 3D. Just a very large theater.

The movie for what it was is acceptable. Not great, but not terrible either. I'm very neutral. The acting was decent. My only real flaw is that the movie comes off completely as if it was shot without microphones. 100% of the sound (even as little as talking) is done after the fact. None of the sound you hear from this is "real". There was a large disconnect in that regard. That's my only real complaint, even if it's a big one.

Siliconemelons

No "MARIE THE BAGUETTES!" so I am boycotting...

and gay stuff forced... at least wait for the gay stuff in the little mermaid where it may be lez stuff and hot...

but mostly the baguette thing/

Szlia

My wife loved it. She loves all Disney movies. The forced diversity some have mentioned was pretty bad especially in the opening ballroom scene. It seemed like there were more 'people of color' than there were caucasians. Maybe in the upcoming lion King live action movie they'll cast some Scandinavians.
In theater, opera and ballet, it has been for a while an established convention that, unless the story requires it, any part can be played by any ethnicity. The logic behind it is that you have a huge repertoire of european and american works spanning centuries with very few parts for non-caucasian characters. On top of that, if you wanted the ethnicity of the cast to match the one of the characters, you would have big troubles putting together a production of, say, Turandot (set in China) or Nabucco (set in Jerusalem and Babylon)...

As far as movies go, I am pretty sure XVIIIth century french people were not speaking english and were not dancing and singing their lives, so I don't see why it could not adopt an additional convention that is already in place in other arts.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
In theater, opera and ballet, it has been for a while an established convention that, unless the story requires it, any part can be played by any ethnicity. The logic behind it is that you have a huge repertoire of european and american works spanning centuries with very few parts for non-caucasian characters. On top of that, if you wanted the ethnicity of the cast to match the one of the characters, you would have big troubles putting together a production of, say, Turandot (set in China) or Nabucco (set in Jerusalem and Babylon)...

As far as movies go, I am pretty sure XVIIIth century french people were not speaking english and were not dancing and singing their lives, so I don't see why it could not adopt an additional convention that is already in place in other arts.
Good god you're a faggot. And a fucking retard. By your fucked logic, there's no reason we shouldn't have American Inventors running all over the place in Braveheart.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

It doesnt even sound like he watched the movie and saw how out of place it was. Seems like he is trying to be PC for the hell of it

At least movies like The last Samurai, Great Wall ect explain why some Caucasian is there. This is like making Last of the Mohicans with a bunch of Africans in there just to meat a quota

Szilla always comes off pretentious but never an asshole which makes it difficultt to call him a faggot

In the new black panther movie they should throw in a few Scandinavians or Asians. I want to see some pasty ass ginger holding a spear in Wakanda

Last edited:

Szlia

It doesnt even sound like he watched the movie and saw how out of place it was. Seems like he is trying to be PC for the hell of it

At least movies like The last Samurai, Great Wall ect explain why some Caucasian is there. This is like making Last of the Mohicans with a bunch of Africans in there just to meat a quota

Szilla always comes off as pretentious but never an asshole which makes it difficultt to call him a faggot
It's not about being PC or not, it's about conventions that exists and are not the same for all productions. If you take a movie like, say, Mel Gibson's Apocalypto, there is a great work done to create a feeling of realism. You hire mexican actors of mayan decent, you carefully recreate clothing and textiles based on archaeological studies, you have the actor talk in what we believe is something similar to language used in the time and place the movie depicts, etc. But when you take something like Joe Wright's Anna Karenina, the source material is a russian play set in Russia, yet, the film is spoken in english with a cast of non russian actors and there is a tremendous work done with the sets and the film making to play with the notion of make-believe (a movie based on a play about people in an upper class where appearances are more important than reality). Movies run a broad gamut going from the very "realistic" to the very "artificial" and there is probably a bigger tradition in theater and in opera to have things lean toward the latter. Typically, musicals are among the most "artificial" movies there is and, as such, there is a number of conventions in play, a number of tacit agreements between the spectators and the film makers. People will start singing and dancing and that's how parts of the story will be told, that's one of the many conventions, that's supposed to be accepted by the spectators when they enter the movie theater. The only thing I am saying is that, apparently, in Beauty and the Beast they add another convention that is routinely accepted by theater, opera or ballet spectators: any ethnicity can play any part.

Obviously, for something to become a convention, it takes familiarity and familiarity takes time. So, at this juncture, it's only natural for people who are not familiar with this convention (as it comes from other art forms) to find it jarring. Just like the singing for someone who has never seen a musical or a reverse angle for someone who has never seen a movie.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

Szilla always comes off pretentious but never an asshole which makes it difficultt to call him a faggot

In the new black panther movie they should throw in a few Scandinavians or Asians. I want to see some pasty ass ginger holding a spear in Wakanda

I saw the movie, 100% agree with what he said and still think they looked out of place in the movie. I'm all on board with musicals casting whatever race they want cause its about the singing, but seeing black people dressed up in those foppish french clothes was really jarring. Oddly enough, the women didnt seem that out of place.

And Braveheart could probably stand a Moor. But I liked Morgan Freeman giving people the business with his scimitar in Robin Hood. More movies could just use more Morgan Freeman with a scimitar.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think Szila is saying its not SJW fags here but theatre fags.

Which seems like a defensible argument to me. But I didn't see the movie. And I think seeing black people singing in english language in 18/19 century France would be pretty annoying. But theatre is gonna theatre.

My guess? Probably not worth whining about SJW.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Small theater production or well almost any live production = less choice of cast because they have to be able to actually SING live and ACT live = cast whomever performs the best with the pool you have, be it black, pink, white, russian, china or Szila... makes sense and it is accepted and people get it.

HUGE HOLLYWOOD PRODUCTION that has their choice of thousands of extras and people and actors - we needz some color because color yo = dumb

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Excellent movie. I was pleasantly surprised of all the different races and the two gay characters. Music was great, too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Wife dragged me to this over the weekend. The amount of ethnic diversity and interracial relationships in this movie is fucking hilarious. Other than that, it's a fine movie for what it is you can stomach the in your face Jewish propaganda.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database