Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

Tagline: The Heat Is On!

Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime

Director: Martin Brest

Cast: Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Ronny Cox, Paul Reiser, Gilbert R. Hill, Lisa Eilbacher, Steven Berkoff, James Russo, Jonathan Banks, Stephen Elliott, Bronson Pinchot, Michael Champion, Michael Gregory, Rick Overton, Damon Wayans, Art Kimbro, Joel Bailey, Gene Borkan

Release: 1984-11-30

Runtime: 105

Plot: Tough-talking Detroit cop Axel Foley heads to the rarified world of Beverly Hills in his beat-up Chevy Nova to investigate a friend's murder, but soon realizes he's stumbled onto something much more complicated. Bungling rookie detective, Billy Rosewood joins the fish-out-of-water Axel and shows him the West Los Angeles ropes.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Retro movie time. This entire series had somehow escaped me, so much that I don't think I've ever seen a clip of the movie. I remember as a kid I had a MIDI file called "Axel Foley" that was the theme song and liked it, but never saw the movie. So, I finished it over several sittings, and have to say I truly enjoyed this movie. The basic premise of the movie is a detective is partially victim to a crime in which an old friend is murdered so he goes out west to solve the crime with some assistance from another police department. There's so much good in this movie:

- Eddie Murphy is *clearly* having a shitload of fun, he's cracking so many jokes, just acting goofy, and you can see why he was so famous at the time. He just was funny as hell.

- The biggest thing that struck me in this movie, especially for it being in the early 80s, is that even though Eddie Murphy was black, it was never brought up in the movie. Like other officers respected him based on his reputation as a good detective, and for his quality police work. They never treated him like shit based on skin color. Maybe in movies at the time they chose to "be color blind"? Refreshing.

- Another quality I appreciated is that even though in the end he has to "save the girl", it was his friend, not a love interest. (I haven't seen the sequels, if that changes down the road.)

- I liked that the officers that were assigned to monitor him helped out when they were able to definitively see that Foley was right and had found bad. Especially the scene in the police department when the lieutenant is taking Foley seriously and trying to help, and they tied that together at the end when the lieutenant helped kill the bad guy with Foley.

- The lead henchman, is this this weird troll looking guy. Took me an hour to realize it was Johnathon Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul.)

I really don't think there was anything about this movie that I didn't like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
The guy who was the chief of police in this was Gil Hill. Was actually a city council member in Detroit and crooked as fuck.

Watch white boy rick documentary to see what a shit bag he was.

Great movie otherwise!

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Retro movie time. This entire series had somehow escaped me, so much that I don't think I've ever seen a clip of the movie. I remember as a kid I had a MIDI file called "Axel Foley" that was the theme song and liked it, but never saw the movie. So, I finished it over several sittings, and have to say I truly enjoyed this movie. The basic premise of the movie is a detective is partially victim to a crime in which an old friend is murdered so he goes out west to solve the crime with some assistance from another police department. There's so much good in this movie:

- Eddie Murphy is *clearly* having a shitload of fun, he's cracking so many jokes, just acting goofy, and you can see why he was so famous at the time. He just was funny as hell.

- The biggest thing that struck me in this movie, especially for it being in the early 80s, is that even though Eddie Murphy was black, it was never brought up in the movie. Like other officers respected him based on his reputation as a good detective, and for his quality police work. They never treated him like shit based on skin color. Maybe in movies at the time they chose to "be color blind"? Refreshing.

- Another quality I appreciated is that even though in the end he has to "save the girl", it was his friend, not a love interest. (I haven't seen the sequels, if that changes down the road.)

- I liked that the officers that were assigned to monitor him helped out when they were able to definitively see that Foley was right and had found bad. Especially the scene in the police department when the lieutenant is taking Foley seriously and trying to help, and they tied that together at the end when the lieutenant helped kill the bad guy with Foley.

- The lead henchman, is this this weird troll looking guy. Took me an hour to realize it was Johnathon Banks (Mike from Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul.)

I really don't think there was anything about this movie that I didn't like.

Fantastic movie. Great soundtrack.

It's probably the first example I can think of of a solid buddy movie. Sure there were more before it but at the age I was when it released it struck me as such.

Second one is just as good if not better. Brigitte Nielson is at her prime in it.

Successive movies not so good.

I don't know why but I love this scene so much.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Fantastic movie. Great soundtrack.

It's probably the first example I can think of of a solid buddy movie. Sure there were more before it but at the age I was when it released it struck me as such.

Second one is just as good if not better. Brigitte Nielson is at her prime in it.

Successive movies not so good.

I don't know why but I love this scene so much.

Fucking hilarious scene!

I wondered if that was where Cohen got the idea for Bruno??

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Eddie had an awesome run of movies early on. Crazy good.
Eddie Murphy was super hot back then. his HBO specials, BHC1&2, SNL and along with some help from John Landis made him a superstar. then he sort of just coasted after Coming to America . i cant blame him. he did in 7 years what most actors will never achieve in an entire career. most of those films he did are now classics. most of them. Shrek and some other films helped keep him in movies, but he's never been the juggernaut that he was back in the 80s. Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 2 were pretty awesome films. i think that mansion they used at the end of the first movie was used in a ton of films, including Commando.

Sterling

El Presidente
Trading Places, 48 Hours, this movie and it's sequels, Coming to America. Monstrous run. Even Golden Child was pretty good. Him coming back later and doing a bunch of family movies makes sense considering he wanted to do stuff he could share with his kids and stuff.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In my defense I was only 12 when 3 came out, and the over the top ridiculous humor style of 3 has always been my favorite type of comedy. 1 and 2 are still better movies though.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Could you imagine hopping in a time machine and going back to 1986 to watch The Golden Child in a packed theater? That shit would have been amazing. He was on top of the world at that time and I bet that movie killed it. I didn't see that one at the theater and I also lived rural midwest town with zero black people so even if I had it wouldn't have been the real deal.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Shit, I can remember loving the first 2 of these films when I first saw them. And now seeing this, I am trying to think how long since I've seen them. That was back in the day when we'd rent a VHS and then just watch it 3 or 4 times virtually back to back before returning it the next day. We felt we were getting our monies worth doing that, my father though, wasn't too happy with us doing that.

Might need to find them on a stream.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database