Blocking IP trackers

igodown_sl

shitlord
Can anyone explain to me the safest way to block IP trackers. I was having an email exchange with someone through work, when they informed me that were tracking my movements through my IP address. They knew where I went on vacation, where I visited fiends, etc., by tracking my IP address. I'm not savvy enough to realize this could be done, and I have no idea how to prevent it. Any advice?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This is related to the site for cheaters ain't it that got hacked and relased their info this week ain't it?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
More details.

It's trivial to change your ip to something else but that isn't what is happening to you.

Your ip at home is very easy to track on the site level only but once you change sites and or hit mobile networks that becomes difficult especially if you travel as the ips are shared, change and can reflect locations hundreds of miles or more from your actual location. So it's unlikely that is the real culprit unless your problems are of the legal variety (police).

What is more likely is someone has access to Facebook or some other site(s) like the cheater site and is trying to extort you. Either via a keyloggers or spyware or through some intrusion on a site you frequent and perhaps don't want others to know about.

igodown_sl

shitlord
More details.

It's trivial to change your ip to something else but that isn't what is happening to you.

Your ip at home is very easy to track on the site level only but once you change sites and or hit mobile networks that becomes difficult especially if you travel as the ips are shared, change and can reflect locations hundreds of miles or more from your actual location. So it's unlikely that is the real culprit unless your problems are of the legal variety (police).

What is more likely is someone has access to Facebook or some other site(s) like the cheater site and is trying to extort you. Either via a keyloggers or spyware or through some intrusion on a site you frequent and perhaps don't want others to know about.
It was definitely not through Facebook because the only contact I had was through email. The person wasn't trying to get anything from me. He was just being creepy. "Hey you had my IP tracker going crazy (and then listed five different locations that I had sent emails from). You should use an anonymous proxy or block IP trackers". I just don't know how to do this and was hoping someone here could advise. Thanks.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It was definitely not through Facebook because the only contact I had was through email. The person wasn't trying to get anything from me. He was just being creepy. "Hey you had my IP tracker going crazy (and then listed five different locations that I had sent emails from). You should use an anonymous proxy or block IP trackers". I just don't know how to do this and was hoping someone here could advise. Thanks.
Gmail and other providers hide your IP address in email headers. Not all third party programs do, so its possible if you sent this person email they could have your IP address from locations that you contacted them from. If you never contacted them, then they have more personal access to your stuff from one source or another. Gmail, facebook etc.

What provider are you using? Gmail? I'm going to guess so. Go into your gmail account and at the bottom right on the website look for "last account activity" and click details down there.

Now compare the IP addresses to the ones you use. Look for discrepancies. If they have access to your email account that would explain the data they have.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
This is related to the site for cheaters ain't it that got hacked and relased their info this week ain't it?
Apparently, 1 of 5 adults in my city has an account on Ashley Madison, according to the stats. I don't believe it for a second. Ottawa is too boring for that to be true.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Sounds more like you are using a work laptop that has a proxy set to the company VPN.

The cleaning people that stole a bunch of our laptops certainly weren't aware of it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Also, any company computer could have all kinds of tracking software on it, all the way up to two-way mirror (can see your screen without you knowing) etc.

Maebe_sl

shitlord
I'd expect it is something more straight forward, something likeEmail tracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Basically the old tracking dot/pixel added to an email.
How to Track the Emails You Send (and Avoid Being Tracked Yourself)

If the person is in an outside company and you want the information blocked talk to your sysadmin.
If it is someone internal to your organisation, check your contract and privacy rights in your country and consider speaking with HR (seems overboard to go to HR to me, this tracking is a normal thing for marketing people to do).

If it is email tracking you can block by stopping the displaying images by default, this should be an option in your mail client or browser for using web mail.

If you want to go all kunfu, deploy a capture mechanisim (some sort of network tap) on a brand new system which hsa never touched your environment and use it to monitor your network traffic when you access your mails. Then check every IP address connected to with the links above.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently, 1 of 5 adults in my city has an account on Ashley Madison, according to the stats. I don't believe it for a second. Ottawa is too boring for that to be true.
I assume the numbers are spammers.... Although the site has been around a long time and there are lots of politicians away from home!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That explains it. It's a Jewish laptop. Our community is very small. We know EVERYTHING about each other.