Chernobyl

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't see this posted anywhere but the "Arch" was just placed over Reactor 4 earlier this week.

This video is cool they go inside the control room:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I saw a video of it a few weeks ago. I hope they are planing to come back and do something to the exterior of it or they're in for a big problem. At the time the supporting structure was exposed (maybe later it was covered up) but it was just galvanized steel. They are saying 100 year lifespan. Good luck with that. In a harsh environment 20-30 years. In an everyday environment less than 40. Maybe they were planning to cover up the supporting steel that was exposed at some point. When they started moving it they were still putting up part of the structure and it was just raw steel, not even galvanized. Guy was cutting it right there and walking 20 feet to install it on on the outside, exposed.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I guess I'm ignorant on the topic, but if it's so dangerous as to warrant the millions if not billions of dollars to create the dome, then why were those hundreds, if not thousands of workers just cruising around chilling without any kind of protection on? Speaking of the first video. There was 1 shot at the very end of people in haz mat suits, but wouldn't that be necessary everywhere for everyone if it was so dangerous?

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Away from the plant the radioactive shit is mostly on the ground iirc. So they'd want to toss their shoes every day.

If I'm not mistaken, what makes the area around the plant still unlivable is all the radioactive "dust" that was blown out of the reactor and settled on the ground/in structures.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Wearing protection from radiation? lol, your science class wants you back.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Shit, we're going to need a stretcher in this thread stat!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Probably just as dangerous now is the lead and asbestos that has been allowed to break apart and become powderized. Paint used to be extremely high in lead and asbestos was used in all insulations/building materials. When it is upkept it is fairly harmless. When it is allowed to decay and break apart it becomes extremely dangerous. So here you have contaminated dust which is also now filled with lead and asbestos particle. Basically a complete cocktail of fuck you.

I wouldn't go in that place without at least gloves and a particulate mask

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Wearing protection from radiation? lol, your science class wants you back.
Gamma will fuck you up and there isn't much you can do about it (you need a lead shield much like used to cover your balls during an x-ray) but it isn't an issue at this point anyway. Alpha and to some extent Beta you definitely can protect yourself from. A respirator is a good start to keep the particles outside of your body and covering all skin will shield from a lot of it too.

• 3Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Waiting for Furry to lay some "knowledge" on us.

• 3Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Waiting for Furry to lay some "knowledge" on us.
Lol, you faggots are the ones saying that they are doing it wrong. What effective protection are they missing, lay it on me foh nuclear response team.

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Maybe you were being sarcastic.

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding.

I'm saying that not everywhere in that city requires a full body radiation suit.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

there was a good pic diary of some Russian ruin explorer that goes there a lot, essentially as stated above- if you stay on the paved roads etc. your fairly good now days - its the dust etc., contaminated water etc. There are even some wildlife that is slowly returning - and because of how water under the ground, wind shifts etc- there are still hotter spots than normal. There is that one bridge that is big on the radioactive scale because it was in line of sight and downwind at the event- even though its really far- and a buncha people stood there and watched, and was a big stopping point during evac etc.

Its all rather quire interesting, and the fact that it is so fucked up is a big reason why we don't have plants all over the place making us happy power.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Has fury never had an x-ray before? What do you think the heavy vests they lay on you do?

• 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Elephants-foot-cover.jpg

Guy in this photo is dead. I guarantee it.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I saw a video of it a few weeks ago. I hope they are planing to come back and do something to the exterior of it or they're in for a big problem. At the time the supporting structure was exposed (maybe later it was covered up) but it was just galvanized steel. They are saying 100 year lifespan. Good luck with that. In a harsh environment 20-30 years. In an everyday environment less than 40. Maybe they were planning to cover up the supporting steel that was exposed at some point. When they started moving it they were still putting up part of the structure and it was just raw steel, not even galvanized. Guy was cutting it right there and walking 20 feet to install it on on the outside, exposed.
maybe their galvanized steel roofs last longer than everybody else's roof? dont those things rust out in maybe 10 or 20 years usually?

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well it just steel columns and such on the outisde that were holding up something and rolling along. No idea. Hopefully all that will be encased at some point. I really wouldn't call it the "roof" it was holding up something that was rolling along with it.

• 1Like