Chrome update 37 WTF

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
A while ago I switched to Chrome Beta on my Surface Pro 2 to get version 37 because it has better support for high density displays, so maybe it's related to those changes.

Column_sl

shitlord
I think they just fucked up on the resolution thing for some set ups. It wasn't scaling with your desktop resolution, it was way lower. That's basically what the Fix I posted earlier does.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I bet half of the people having problems with Windows 8.1/Chrome 37 haven't actually changed their system font size to be Smaller, and have it set at Medium instead (which is the default if I remember right).

Column_sl

shitlord
I bet half of the people having problems with Windows 8.1/Chrome 37 haven't actually changed their system font size to be Smaller, and have it set at Medium instead (which is the default if I remember right).
That doesn't fix it btw, and fucks up everything else on your computer. There's a reason it's set to default....

Anyway, if you would have bothered to read through the thread it has nothing to do with your OS settings. Its a scaling problem on their browser proven by the fix itself.

/high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
So, it's a scaling problem. With your DPI. Which is set to 125% by default (for my system, anyway) and looks like shit. I turned it down to 100%, and I don't have this problem with Chrome, so no need to implement this fix. Sounds like it's relevant to me. It also fixes scaling for everything else, not just Chrome.

By the way, what does setting your DPI scaling to 100% fuck up on your computer?

Edit:windows 8.1 - Chrome 37 UI got larger and became blurry on 125% DPI - Super User

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Devs need to stop making assumptions that everything they do is wanted, and make sure all features can be turned off, moved, altered, or otherwise reverted.

Column_sl

shitlord
So, it's a scaling problem. With your DPI. Which is set to 125% by default (for my system, anyway) and looks like shit. I turned it down to 100%, and I don't have this problem with Chrome, so no need to implement this fix. Sounds like it's relevant to me. It also fixes scaling for everything else, not just Chrome.

By the way, what does setting your DPI scaling to 100% fuck up on your computer?

Edit:windows 8.1 - Chrome 37 UI got larger and became blurry on 125% DPI - Super User
Duh, It makes everything insanely small on a 27 inch monitor, at 1080p. It's fucking microscopic.

I shouldn't have to change my OS DPI to make chrome look good again. It never had to do that before, and hence the fix.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Devs need to stop making assumptions that everything they do is wanted, and make sure all features can be turned off, moved, altered, or otherwise reverted.
The thing that I really like about KDE is that they agree with you completely. KDE programs can honestly look like kind of a clusterfuck when you first install them, but the things that they all have in common is that they a) have far more features than any one user wants, and b) are customizable by hiding/showing/ordering/configuring the menu/ui/keyboard shortcuts in a way that makes sense to each individual user.