Crowdsourced archaeology... from space!

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
www.globalxplorer.org

Sarah Parcak finds all kinds of shit underground by looking at satellite imagery (see NatGeo vid). She won a bunch of prize money from TEDx and used it to build a platform to crowdsource her efforts to sort through large numbers of pictures, thus helping her to find even more shit.

The platform just went live a couple of weeks ago. I haven't spent the time going through the tutorial yet but it seems like they have some kind of algorithm that weighs your judgment against others. The more your analysis matches the numerical consensus for any given image, the higher your rating score climbs which, in turn, weighs your judgment more heavily in determining consensus.

I think it's a pretty neat idea and I have been talking it up to my two oldest daughters who are excited to help "do science" in their spare time.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I sometimes help identify galaxies or circle specks that I think are microbes or find trees in aerial photos. Zooniverse is a place you can volunteer your time to student lead crowd sourced science projects. They're dull to do sometimes, but the potential conclusions are intriguing, and some are actually fun.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah Imma spooge in joy all over this when I get time. Busy tonight but I done seens it. Its great.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users