Cube Vans

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone got strong opinions on what manufacturer I should be looking at for a new cube van? We've got a couple F-350 diesels that have been absolute fucking pigs maintenance wise. So I'm not sure if I want to go diesel or not for the new one. Generally the materials they're hauling are more voluminous than heavy, but sometimes we are hauling some pretty heavy loads.

Any infoz is much appreciated!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
How many miles are you putting on them in a year? Unless you do some serious miles I don't think diesel will pay off unless you have an in house mechanic that can do all the small stuff for you. You pay more for the fuel but gain longer service intervals with an engine that will likely last 300k+ miles before you need anything major done to it. Downside is just about everything else maintenance wise is more expensive. If you put enough miles on them its worth it but if you don't then they are just pigs.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
I drive one for work, it's a 2008 Chevy Express 2500 with the Vortech 4.8 liter and 215K on the clock. I've done oil changes and general maintenance since it was new, haven't had a major repair yet. Those vortech engines are pretty damn reliable.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One van is a 2001, the other is a 2006. They've both got about 220,000 km on them. Initially the 2001 was far more reliable, up until the last year or two. The 2006 had a shit ton of problems even while under warranty, and the Ford dealer was a pain in the ass, refusing to acknowledge a massive lack of power until they finally agreed to replace the turbo and half the injectors a couple years ago (after the warranty had actually expired, because they tried to push us off for 6+ months). Since then the 2006 has been a bit better, but not great. The 2001 is now on it's last legs. It's burning a ton of oil, and the independent mechanic that works on our vehicles outside of warranty has basically said that it's a waste of money to try any more work on it, just drive it till the engine dies. The 2006 won't be far behind.

Mileage wise it varies a lot from year to year depending on how much out of town work we have. Anywhere from 20,000-50,000km a year.

I bought a used Isuzu cab over diesel last year, put a flat bed on it. I fucking love it. No major maintenance yet, so I can't speak to that (I have friends who are fleet mechanics, they recommended the purchase). Budget Rental has them with High Cubes and a Tommy Lift, So you can pick one up used pretty cheap when they up date their fleet. You can find the exact same truck re-badged as a GMC. American made trucks have been pretty shitty for the last 20 years sadly.

isuzu_light%20truck3.jpg

isuzu_light%20truck3.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, a couple dealers have been pushing those or Sprinters. I am not replacing an Econoline service van. I'm replacing a full size cube van. I need a 16' long by 6-7' high by 7-8' wide box with a very heavy GVW. Looks like my only option really is another E-450 at this point. 350/3500's don't have enough GVW. And I don't want to go any bigger than that.

Might take a look at those when we replace a couple actual Econoline service vans in the next year or two. They don't haul nearly as much material/equipment.