Death and... Taxes.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Well looks like I am going to get completely raped by property taxes here in Williamson County.

I just had the gay ass country send me an appraisal and it was ~$12k higher than in 2023. Which is fine. But my property taxes now are 4x what they were last year. I've been in this house for 3 years now so not sure how this could happen.

Sounds like an error, especially if your property is under homestead. The increase should be capped. Did your homestead exemption fall off? I know it's not supposed to, but I've heard of stranger things happening.

Only other thing I could think of would be if some massive bond got snuck through during election season.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Since I was already talking about estate stuff from my parents. I imagine it's state by state but I'm trying to figure out how much gets raped by the government when it's time to inherit. Likely going to have 401k money since he's basically waiting to the required disbursement point, Actual cash funds, then the properties which most I assume would be sold.

Just hate the feeling of looking at retire early money maybe and that by the time selling fees, taxes, and splitting with my brother happens it's going to be just a year of pay.

Probably need to clear up one property my aunt had like a25% stake in as well. I would hope that doesn't mean somehow she can scoop the whole thing vs just being paid out her proportion of value.

Taxes on inheritance is generally only on big money unless you live in one of the few states that have one. Federal estate tax doesn't kick in until $13.6M. States vary but most states don't have it at all.

State-Estate-Tax-State-Inheritance-Tax-2020-01.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since I was already talking about estate stuff from my parents. I imagine it's state by state but I'm trying to figure out how much gets raped by the government when it's time to inherit. Likely going to have 401k money since he's basically waiting to the required disbursement point, Actual cash funds, then the properties which most I assume would be sold.

Just hate the feeling of looking at retire early money maybe and that by the time selling fees, taxes, and splitting with my brother happens it's going to be just a year of pay.

Probably need to clear up one property my aunt had like a25% stake in as well. I would hope that doesn't mean somehow she can scoop the whole thing vs just being paid out her proportion of value.
DM if you wish to discuss.