Direct Tv

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
You can't really instantly flip channels back and forth real quick if you are switching between 2 ball games or something, the channels take a good 2-5 seconds to appear and start working when you change a channel.
This doesn't fix the problem you are describing about lag between switching channels in general, but there's a better solution for the 'watching 2 games' use case.

Press down, it will say you're about to start Double Play. Press it again, the channel will change... now go to the second game. Press down to flip back and forth to see both games much quicker because the tuner isn't changing channels, you're just switching tuners. The 'previous channel' buffer is unique to each tuner you are watching too, so on Sundays I'd be watching the Chiefs on one and red zone or another game on the other.

Genie has picture in picture. It's pretty nice on a big screen, and just use down to swap back and forth.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like DirecTv as well, however you are really only a customer when you first sign up and when your contract is about to end. Other then that, they wont do jack for you (Upgrade, Discounts, etc).

Just do what I do, at the end of each discount cycle, call again and complain about the payments. They will keep you by doing pretty much anything, I have had the NFL ticket almost free for the last 3 years.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Double play works on the channel swapping quickly and its a nice feature. One other thing you can do is turn on / off native pass through as that can add a couple of seconds to changing channels. One allows the D* box to up convert the other sends the raw signal to your TV. Depending on which does a better job you might end up with a better picture to boot and faster channel changing times.

You can also specify one resolution like 720p or 1080i which ever your TV likes better instead of having all of them checked. That speeds up channel changing as well IIRC.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for all the info guys. Hope this helps some other people. So I caved and ended up back at Comcast lol. I manged to get HD premium plan with HBO, Showtimes, Cinemax and Starz plus Blast internet(50Mb/s) for a year for $115 a month.

My issue now is i lose more than half my internet speed thru Wifi. Updated the wireless router through Linkeye today and still no luck increasing the speed. Hardwire I get around 50. Wireless my speed test come in around 20. Bummer:-( I actually tested the wireless from 5 ft away to 50 feet and the speed doesn't change.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don't know why that is, but the good news is 20 Mbit is plenty fast enough for just about anything you can do on the internet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is the product in question using a wireless N adapter? Those sound more along the lines of wireless G speeds.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Try changing the frequency being used. You might have interference on the selected or auto one.

One other thing for those considering D*. If have a RF remote use that in RF mode it does increase responsiveness slightly for whatever reason.

kaxfenix

N00b
Currently have direct TV. I actually love it. Decent Price, Great picture, cool equipment.. However I am gonna cancel when my contract is up.. We pretty much just download all TV shows from premium services like HBO and Show time etc and watch them on the media center. No reason why we can't do it to all TV shows we watch, we pretty much DVR everything any how...
So doing the above and a netflix/Prime subscription it will cover all our basis and put money back in our pockets.

Those who want a TV service, I will continue to recommend Direct TV

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only reason I still have DirecTV (or any television service) is for sports. Otherwise I could wait and download. But between Sunday Ticket and stuff like, currently, the NCAA Tournament? I'm not sure how you can go without anything.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, live sports is the only reason I keep my TV service(which is DirecTV). I generally just throw on ESPN for something to listen to while I'm gaming on my computer, and I do watch a ton of college football and basketball which is almost all on cable channels. If all you watch is the NFL, the majority of that is still on network TV, so unless you subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket, you aren't missing much without cable/satellite.

If I'm watching sports though, I want it in glorious HD on my bigscreen, I don't want to watch some shitty SD feed over the internet.