Dredd 2 (2024 Confirmed!)

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Title change getting my hopes up again

frown.png

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If they can make a Fred 1 2 and 3 they should be able to give us a sequel for Dredd.
and trust me, you dont want to know what Fred is.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
If they can make a Fred 1 2 and 3 they should be able to give us a sequel for Dredd.
and trust me, you dont want to know what Fred is.
I, unfortunately thanks to kids, know who the fuck that is and you have a very valid point here.

Siliconemelons

Watched this on Netflix

holyshit was it good and anderson was hot

THE FROWN was insane- dude is one kick ass actor, I have loved everyhting Urban has been in- his characters always rock.

I want the trilogy- origins (hell that could even be a redone of stallones, just more...like...this one) and then a Judge Death... I belive that was their plans.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
watched it tonight with the wife on netflix... i love my wife... the same one who was so excited to watch it because she thought it was a direct sequel to the one with stallone (wft, i know...) she says during the scene where dredd and anderson bust into the apartment where their all doing slo-mo... she just gasps and says "this is art."

we were both completely impressed with the movie.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to watching this since it popped up on Netflix. A good call by all on here. Pretty much almost a perfect comic book movie. The atmosphere is great and the used universe feel is really there and makes everything feel a lot more personal to the world (I guess that's a way to say it; all of the people and buildings and props feel like they are really a part of the Dredd universe and it all feels really genuine). The pacing feels kind of batshit at times but that added to the comic book style (except for the slow-mo drug stuff, that was pretty distracting but I think mostly because it seemed overused). I can see why it was a hard sell for comic book movie audiences but it's good to hear that they're trying to make progress on getting a sequel.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
THERE'S NO PROGRESS ALL HOPE IS LOST QUIT SHITTING IN OUR CEREAL ABOUT SEQUELS.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I found the movie on Amazon Prime. I thought it was okay (B-/C+). My overall impression was low-budgety B-movie set in an potentially interesting universe. Better and more cohesive than Priest or, the abomination, Ultraviolet, but little about the story was particularly compelling or surprising. I will say that Karl Urban played the character well despite how little dialogue Dredd had outside of rather stereotypical quips. I did feel as if I've seen this movie before in that I'm fairly certain there's some Asian movie I half-watched with a similar premise(i.e. Cops arrest a bad guy in a crime-run tenement, the crime lord locks the tenement down and demands the murder of the cops, chaos ensues, etcetera [found it]). Being that it was subtitled, I think, I can understand recycling the story as virtually no one in the US would watch it. Regardless, Dredd is full of over-used moments, such as the rookie doing stupid things and inexplicably managing to get herself disarmed and captured. That said, after watching the third Transformers movie on Prime, this movie was Shakespeare in comparison. I would watch it again, I'd be interested in a second installment, but for me to see it in theaters the story and character development would have to improve. That, or it needs to be more of a spectacle with levels of violence and depravity I haven't already seen ad nauseum.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
never thought this movie was geared towards the wide general audience. it seemed pretty niche from start.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I found the movie on Amazon Prime. I thought it was okay (B-/C+). My overall impression was low-budgety B-movie set in an potentially interesting universe. Better and more cohesive than Priest or, the abomination, Ultraviolet, but little about the story was particularly compelling or surprising. I will say that Karl Urban played the character well despite how little dialogue Dredd had outside of rather stereotypical quips. I did feel as if I've seen this movie before in that I'm fairly certain there's some Asian movie I half-watched with a similar premise(i.e. Cops arrest a bad guy in a crime-run tenement, the crime lord locks the tenement down and demands the murder of the cops, chaos ensues, etcetera [found it]). Being that it was subtitled, I think, I can understand recycling the story as virtually no one in the US would watch it. Regardless, Dredd is full of over-used moments, such as the rookie doing stupid things and inexplicably managing to get herself disarmed and captured. That said, after watching the third Transformers movie on Prime, this movie was Shakespeare in comparison. I would watch it again, I'd be interested in a second installment, but for me to see it in theaters the story and character development would have to improve. That, or it needs to be more of a spectacle with levels of violence and depravity I haven't already seen ad nauseum.
I'm not going to say I know for certain where every inspiration came from or who copied from whom (or didn't), but the concept of Dredd against an entire tower/block has existed in the comics for a long, long time. I realize this means nothing to someone that hasn't read those comics, and it might look derivative, but I'm hopeful that they came up with the idea from the comics and not The Raid. However, it doesn't really matter because I loved the movie regardless of where they got the idea from.

Oh, and while it is true that rookies gonna rook (just made that up), at least she got herself out of it without Dredd's help. If this were a typical movie like we're used to seeing, she'd have been utterly helpless until Dredd rescued her. Instead, she fucked some motherfuckers up. That's worthy of praise right there.

Oh, and Chaos is a jerk for changing the title back
frown.png

Binkles_sl

shitlord
it doesn't really matter because I loved the movie regardless of where they got the idea from.
It's obvious you're a fan of the franchise/comics. I understand that. I enjoy Sci-Fi, but I am unable to stop my critical eye. You seem to be focusing on the trees when there's a large forest of blandness to choose from. It's a simple movie. I can appreciate it, but the cliche is that if you're going to do something simply it has to be perfect. It was not perfect. Nuance and subtly could have taken the movie to another level but, being Dredd, none was to be expected. The bland linearity of the movie just leaves it in the milieu of generic action movies, which might explain the box office.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's obvious you're a fan of the franchise/comics. I understand that. I enjoy Sci-Fi, but I am unable to stop my critical eye. You seem to be focusing on the trees when there's a large forest of blandness to choose from. It's a simple movie. I can appreciate it, but the cliche is that if you're going to do something simply it has to be perfect. It was not perfect. Nuance and subtly could have taken the movie to another level but, being Dredd, none was to be expected. The bland linearity of the movie just leaves it in the milieu of generic action movies, which might explain the box office.
Blandness? Thats what makes it good imo. They literally built a box and stayed inside of it. No crazy off the wall shit, no dumb little kids, no dumb feel good political message just straight and to the point of finding the bad guy and ending them.

<- Never read a comic book

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I actually liked that it was a simple movie. Not everything has to be deep. Sometimes it's just judgement time.

Action movies done well don't have to have some kind of nuance or subtlety. It just is what it is, and I appreciate it more for that. If they had tried to go for some kind of metaphor about the modern US it would have detracted from the movie.

I know of the comics, I have read other comics, but I never got into Judge Dredd.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Never read a comic, but jesus we need more films like this in theatres

Just a badass being badass melting faces and shit, no fucking retard romance subplot/no annoying black comedian sidekick/no higher liberal message

Just - Melt - Faces

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Finally got around to watching this since it popped up on Netflix. A good call by all on here. Pretty much almost a perfect comic book movie. The atmosphere is great and the used universe feel is really there and makes everything feel a lot more personal to the world (I guess that's a way to say it; all of the people and buildings and props feel like they are really a part of the Dredd universe and it all feels really genuine). The pacing feels kind of batshit at times but that added to the comic book style (except for the slow-mo drug stuff, that was pretty distracting but I think mostly because it seemed overused). I can see why it was a hard sell for comic book movie audiences but it's good to hear that they're trying to make progress on getting a sequel.
In my opinion, the atmosphere and "universe feel" were the worst parts of this movie. Peachtree is supposed to be a horrific slum. And not just a regular horrific slum, but a dystopian sci-fi horrific slum. Yet in the movie, the only horrible part about it is the drug lord. If it wasn't for her, it seems like it would be an OK place to live. The place has its own hospital, there's plenty of food, the residents have all kinds of electronic gadgets despite "93% unemployment", and it doesn't even seem that cramped. Look at the scene where Dredd and Anderson hide in the apartment of the thug they shot earlier. It sure doesn't look like a shithole. Then there's the fact that the complex has a very elaborate defense system in case of "war," which is also pretty out of place for a dystopian abject poverty area.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind if you, and others, don't like the movie, but as Big Phoenix and others said, it is its simplicity that sets it above most of those other generic action movies you talk about. Nothing anyone says will change your mind so I'm not going to even attempt it, but the very thing you are complaining about is what made us love it. So, to each their own.

I honestly don't think I could have asked for much better in the way of a Dredd movie, aside from Judge Death and his cohorts, but that probably would have resulted in even lower box office numbers to be honest.