Dumb Phones, Prepaid, et al. Bargains with features.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So understandably, many on this forum are the high end super tech nerds and drool over the latest iteration of smartphones every 3 months. However, I was looking for info/advice (as well as some other lurkers I'm sure) for those of us that you could consider I suppose the more white trash segment of gamer/computer users.

Myself, if I'm home I'm glued to my computer. I prefer to text from my keyboard and use that for everything. I don't go many places but for work, and even there I try to jump on a computer when possible rather than attempt using my Galaxy S (yes S as in the first one.) Yes it can browse, yes it does maps for me, and works for email. And that's great, but I'm also tired of looking at my total bills a month and realizing I'm paying $80 (after a %25 discount) for a smartphone I barely use it's capabilities. (100% unlimited data etc that I hardly touch.)

Reasons I've kept from looking into prepaids and non contract cheap phone companies. (Tracphone, Net10, straight talk, etc) Is that I don't want to lose email and map access. I've already figured I can try to find a gps that is half decent (but I love google maps so much..) That leaves email.

I understand some of these cheaper alternatives have limited data that could handle casual emailing + a lot of texting? I was looking for the old $30-40 month bill, but without going completely archaic to the days before phone keyboards and 8bit screen graphics.

So for non power users who still want some basic features, anyone have good luck with the non mainstream options? Or do I consign myself to a Note 3 or Galaxy mega with the rest of the herd.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For the email and maps/GPS route - I'd stick with a smartphone (although likely one a few generations back - Glyde would be a good option to purchase one) - but a MVNO like Ting or similar that charges only based upon usage - so with the light usage you'd expect likely almost no data costs. (Ting and other usage based MVNOs tend to have calculators where you can enter your current bill to see how much you'd save - i.e. for my wife and I with reasonable amounts of data use Ting estimates us at)

You might be able to save a few dollars going the route of a separate GPS and something for roaming email, but you're talking about juggling double devices and honestly I bet if you calculate it likely not even saving more than a dollar or two a month.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Have you thought about changing providers to one of the cheaper ones and just keeping your phone? Straight talk offers plans starting at $30/mo (1500 mins/unl text/100mb) Even the $45 plan is full unlimited everything. They do start to slow your bandwidth down after 2.5 GB, but you'd probably never hit that. The catch is your current phone has to be ATT/t-mobile compatible (has a SIM card). Worst case you spend $100 on a new phone and make that back up in two months. You still keep your maps functionality and have the internet in case you need it.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Tmobile's 100 minute unlimited data plan is great for the money. Especially if you're home all the time or around WIFI. Even if not VOIP works great.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I use a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk and it works just fine, I'm not sure why you would think that going prepaid means you lose email and maps. I'm on the unlimited plan and the total bill end up just shy of $49. Even if your Nexus S is not AT&T compatible, you can pick up a Moto G for $200 and it will pay for itself in the savings on your bill.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So for anyone else that was reading this.

So I didnt want to blow $200 on a phone even if it is decent. I want 1 extreme or other. (Cheap but functional vs high end). Was thinking of waiting for note 4 possibly since the sub 100 phones seemed to be washing out with enough scary reviews. (A lot seem to lose accurate time... yeah dont want to be late)

Finally happened upon one with a lot of good feedback seems almost tgtbt. LG Optimus Fuel (Straight talk) which is rebranded verizon Zone 2. Uses verizon towers, $30 on webstore or wallmart, + a $45 month plan. (3gig before throttling) ( I'd do the $30 plan might be enough but virtually all the non ghetto flip phones require 45+)

Wanted to use net10 for $40 plan seemed perfect but finding a decent phone of theirs was horrible and I didnt want to spend big $ on a new one.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I use tmobile prepaid with a:
rrr_img_72655.jpg

That's right. People in third world countries have me beat by a decade.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Virgin is even cheaper than tmobile. Unlimited data and text for like $35. I suppose you could get it bellow 20 with a really cheap version too if you just wanted tiny allowances.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
My plan ends in 2 days with AT&T. I don't utilize my expensive plan at all.
I do like having a camera with the firstborn toddling about, and email/text for notes and memoirs, flashlight is often useful too. Alarm clock is vital. And GPS for when my outdated car gps loses signal or gets lost. But none of this adds up to $70 a month.
Verizon is offering me 10$ cheaper before 17% work discount and 150 one-time credit for switching companies, so I might do that. AT&T offers me nothing for staying not even a free phone upgrade, so it's either Verizon or some prepaid plan (to which I'll need to pay for a new phone)