Dune (2020)

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I really like the Lynch movie. I do not care much for the books and Lynch always delivers with very weird and strange imagery. It is also one of the few movies where I think the inner monolouge thing works. But then I am a Lynch fanboy, so take it with a grain of salt.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Picard
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I really like the Lynch movie. I do not care much for the books and Lynch always delivers with very weird and strange imagery. It is also one of the few movies where I think the inner monolouge thing works. But then I am a Lynch fanboy, so take it with a grain of salt.
I rather enjoy the movie as well but it's pretty easy to see why people would not like how much it differs from the books.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I rather enjoy the movie as well but it's pretty easy to see why people would not like how much it differs from the books.

Even with people, that have not read the books, it is easy to see why they would not like the movie. Lynch often cranks up the schlock and you need to be at least used to it to not go "Wtf".

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Lynch's Dune got me into the series as a kid at least. Those sandworms were badass, unlike the CG turds from the sci-fi series. The weirding modules were extra retarded though - "my name is a killing word" - what the fuck?

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The extended cut of Lynch's Dune fixes a few of the story issues, worth a watch at least once.
There's also an extended cut of the SciFi Channel Dune. Again worth a watch if you've never seen it. Plus you get to see Chani topless a few times! Barbora Kodetová has a nice rack.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fuck the Lynch movie. That is all.

• 2Like
  • 2Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Movie Dune is far superior to the tv one. Even with its 80s quality the movie has less geek schlock than the miniseries.

Slightly more optimistic after seeing what Villeneuve did with Blade Runner.

• 2Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist
I'm way waaaay more excited about this after seeing Villeneuve's Blade Runner.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
You've got to think that's he's either going to have a much tighter leash than he had on Blade Runner or less budget to work with if not both. Otherwise Dune could end up being the last of Villeneuve's big budget gigs if it performs on par with it at the box office. It's another storied sci-fi classic with only a niche following.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What makes the dune books so good is all of the internal dialogue and thought processes. That does not translate well to the screen. You can't follow the books faithfully.

• 2Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What makes the dune books so good is all of the internal dialogue and thought processes. That does not translate well to the screen. You can't follow the books faithfully.

I'm in. Expecting it to have limited dialogue but have lots of badass desert, space, and worm shots. Very interested to see Fremen technology and Saudaker legions. Extra points for the Harkonnen home planet.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
For all it's flaws and lack of faithfulness to the books, I do have a soft spot for Lynch's Dune.

Having seen Blade Runner, I think that if Denis Villeneuve is allowed to make the movie he wants to, I'll probably enjoy it.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully they turn this into a franchise. That is the only way to do the books justice.

I give Lynch's Dune a pass. When he made it the serialized movie franchise thing wasn't the big deal it is today. Lynch did a pretty good job condensing the material into 2 hours.

And Lynch's weird eye gave us some of the coolest visuals ever (love the look of the navigators). Any other director would have just copied Star Wars

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I liked the sci-fi dune, esp the full uncut version

It has been too long for me to remember the lynch movie, I should re watch it

Why did neither of them use swords/rapiers and always use fucking daggers?

I will be game for this remake - I bet its better than stargate.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Denis Villeneuve is currently out and about production wise, he went out of his usual reserve to adress silly stuff like Blade Runner 2019 alleged mysoginy and dealing with on set producers because as Royal said he's gonna have a hard time getting his Dune movie made without a tight exec producer leash.

"Dune" on the other hand is a cursed word in Hollywood. David Lynch's movie is a typical development hell as even Lynch tried to label the film as "directed by Alan Smithee" after leaving the set and fighting with executive producers. The production was chaotic at best with poor judgement, erratic production (the DeLaurentis picked Lynch for Dune after Elephant Man) and delusions of grandeur complex, with at some point about 2000 crew members working in Mexico for a 175 pages, 4 hours script. Also let us not forget both Jacobs, Ridley Scott and Jodorowsky tried to bring Dune to movies.

While Villeneuve was on a roll (Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario) and while his trend will take a hit regarding 2049 box office, let's not forget there's already some producers working around the capeshit formula to make a living whenever the vibe will dry, and sci-fi (whenever original, franchise or reboot) could get its market. Of course not a "let's make an auteur film with a blockbuster production" movie, but I think there's a wiggle room where both creative and production meet their ends. I'm optimistic for Villeneuve's Dune, maybe I got my spark too brightened with his latest films, maybe he's just another Nolan peaking at some point and doing less after, who knows. It's dune, whenever there's spice, there's hope right ?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked the sci-fi dune, esp the full uncut version

It has been too long for me to remember the lynch movie, I should re watch it

Why did neither of them use swords/rapiers and always use fucking daggers?

I will be game for this remake - I bet its better than stargate.

The whole point of the shielding technology, if I remember right, is that it stopped objects that were moving too fast, making standard projectile weapons etc useless. Also why lasers and other energy weapons weren't used, because the shields would just go nuclear if hit by them. Given the speed the tip of a sword moves as it covers a point of rotation is greater than the speed of a shorter weapon's tip making the same rotation in the same amount of time, that might be why Herbert reasoned they'd use daggers and kukhris and shit, to avoid triggering the shielding technology. That or he and the directors after him just thought it would be cool.

It's been awhile since I have watched either released version, however, and it probably wasn't explained in either. Just that the slow blade pierces the shield, and longer weapons moving slowly would be easier to deflect/counter or something similar. I think gurney halleck has a line about that, but I'm much too lazy to go find the book/quote from the movie.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
This god damned thread is making me want to read Dune again. It's right there... on my shelf... 8 feet away... taunting me

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users