Ender's Game

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
- Founding fathers of US owned slaves and didn't let women vote
- On Winston Churchill's watch homosexual males were forcibly chemically sterilized

Just because some people have a few bad ideas, doesn't mean they can't also do something good.
biggrin.png
I feel like you should have cited some bad ideas instead to support your case

EvasiveGoose_sl

shitlord
Been a while since I read the book and wasn't really paying attention to it when I read it but... Was Major Anderson a guy or a girl? I forgets.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I read most of the Ender's series. It's funny that Ender's game really doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the books.

The trailer is a little confusing. They are either showing scenes from the first war that was simply referenced in the book, having occurred something like 20 years prior, which might work. Or they are showing action scenes from the "simulated" battles the kids were engaged in and thereby royally fucking up the one good pay off the book had."

I really didn't like the books that followed Ender's life after the battle school. Shit just got weird, but in a boring convoluted sorta way, not an interesting and bizarre kinda way. I liked Ender's shadow quite a bit, had some really creative back story for what had essentially appeared as a minor character in the first book.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Movie was good but people aren't going to be happy with the wrap up after the 'end' of the movie. By people I mean the general population not people who read the book.

Siliconemelons

End Ender

The end "simulation" is a simulation, and he gets a big lecture from Harrison Ford about this and that...so basically it contains all the other books right there in the sappy QQ fest of mass genocide of stupid bugs is bad mmkay... then he talks to the queen as a quick plug to maybe let them make another if this shit gets off the box office.

oh yeah and
troll yo, I havent seen it.

Desidero

N00b
I don't understand how people are saying it's good. I really enjoyed all of the books, but the movie was painful to watch. There were multiple times where we cracked up at the dialogue, and the jumps in character attitude without any actual on-screen development were jarring.

I really wanted to like the movie, and I think if they release a 2.5+ hour director's cut they might be able to kind of save it, but the theatrical release was awful. I'd give it a 2-3/10 because the 20 minutes leading up to the battle climax were decent. The first hour of the movie was a 0-1/10. Go read the books instead - they are very entertaining, or at least they were when I was 15.

iannis

Musty Nester
Which is fucked up and sad considering that book reads like a movie script. That book was written to be an action movie. It's just obvious to anyone that's read it.

But I saw Harrison Ford talk about it on Letterman last night. Harrison Ford needs to stop doing press. I have an idea that he hasn't ever liked doing it, and it shows. It shows so much. Ford didn't even have an idea, he didn't care enough to pretend like he did, and he was starring in the damn thing. Compare that to Kingsley on Craig's show. Kingsley obviously read the book.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Just got back from seeing it.

Having read the book, there were parts that definitely felt rushed. But overall, not bad.

Battle school was excellently, but far too short. The end was over in a flash. It felt like he just got to command school, and boom, its done. Meeting Mazer was just plain wasted. He served nearly zero purpose.I was wondering how the mind game sequence would be handled, and it wasn't that bad actually. Harrison Ford nailed it imo, but some of the kids were not quite as good. There was far too little character development with the kids. And yes, the trailer did contain what boiled down to the one big scene in the movie.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from seeing it.

Having read the book, there were parts that definitely felt rushed. But overall, not bad.

Battle school was excellently, but far too short. The end was over in a flash. It felt like he just got to command school, and boom, its done. Meeting Mazer was just plain wasted. He served nearly zero purpose.I was wondering how the mind game sequence would be handled, and it wasn't that bad actually. Harrison Ford nailed it imo, but some of the kids were not quite as good. There was far too little character development with the kids. And yes, the trailer did contain what boiled down to the one big scene in the movie.
I agree with you, i actually read the book about a month ago again since it's been years since i read it and wanted to re-read prior to watching...
The movie did feel rushed though, battle school was over before it felt like it started, there was not enough time for Ender to change the way he did in the books, and to earn others respect and for others to hate him. It's like he got there, talked to a few people, had 2 battles and back to earth he went. The book had many many battles in the school where he learned so much, but in the movie it was just too fast.
As for Mazer, wasted screen time, there was really nothing to having him in the movie, they meet like they do in the book and they go straight to the vids showing how Mazer killed the queen ship... felt very rushed.
I am interested for those that did not read the book if you knew it was real or thought it was a simulation, one part pissed me off about that when Harrison ford shows a screen with the buggers coming in 28 days? did i see that right? If so, that ruined the whole "this is not a simulation thing"
Anyway, overall, i did enjoy the movie, needed more char development and could have easily been 3 hours long to really get that in there.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So reports on the 'net are saying that Orson Scott Card got all his $$ up front and has no backend participation on the film itself. Of course if it ends up being a super success then he stands to benefit from subsequent license deals plus the obvious book sale spike, but it may be possible to go see the film without feeling like you are sending money straight to the fundamentalist nutjobs of america.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
So reports on the 'net are saying that Orson Scott Card got all his $$ up front and has no backend participation on the film itself. Of course if it ends up being a super success then he stands to benefit from subsequent license deals plus the obvious book sale spike, but it may be possible to go see the film without feeling like you are sending money straight to the fundamentalist nutjobs of america.
If you think fundamentalist nut jobs aren't getting your money anyway, you're in for a shock. That being said, its worth a viewing.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Heinlein was a nutjob too. Many great writers are. I don't give a fuck about their personal views, just the fiction. But I hear you, Qhue. Just pirate the motherfucker.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Enjoyed it, I thought it stayed true enough to the book to be enjoyable. I'll probably pick it up on Blu Ray when it comes out as well.

Arakkis

N00b
I really enjoyed the movie, but felt it could have been longer. Several of the most important scenes had no build up, just BAM BAM BAM one major scene after another. They left me wanting more, which is the purpose of entertainment, and if it were too long it would have been boring, which this definitely was not.

And if you refuse to see a well done sci-fi movie made from one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time because of the religious views of the author, then you are an even bigger faggot than the cock chuggers that Card hates.

Goatface

never read the book, but i enjoyed it. thought it was Ford's best work in a long long time. loved all the space scenes.