Everquest - Live Servers

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I box a war/bard/mage right now.

It's fine and once your warrior is geared you can pretty much do all the group content on your own except some of the difficult missions.

I am considering replacing the mage with either a berserker or a cleric. The berserker would increase kill speed, the cleric would make me more able to do challenging or awkward content.

How bad has the gear inflation been in the last few expansions? I think all my characters are equipped with tier 2 Rain of Fear gear and weapon drops from the associated camps. I didn't get a chance to play over the holiday break so I don't know when I'll get around to but war/bard/cleric or war/bard/mage is sounding like a winner. I remember my warrior doing pretty good dps. He has around 10k aa's but it's been so long I don't remember what's what.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How bad has the gear inflation been in the last few expansions? I think all my characters are equipped with tier 2 Rain of Fear gear and weapon drops from the associated camps. I didn't get a chance to play over the holiday break so I don't know when I'll get around to but war/bard/cleric or war/bard/mage is sounding like a winner. I remember my warrior doing pretty good dps. He has around 10k aa's but it's been so long I don't remember what's what.
I dunno what bad means, because I think that you should need to do the latest expansion to have a combat-ready character. But your gear is too dated to jump in at the endgame and you'd be pretty close to a fresh level 105 when you got there.

There's a thread about a situation that's pretty close to what you have (just with CotF gear instead of RoF) where I give a pretty lengthy list of steps I recommend to get combat-ready.

Finally moving on from CoTF | EverQuest Forums

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I don't know shit about enchanters except they have some way to use runes to tank and something else to hold aggro. I recommend reading through:
The Newbie Zone | EverQuest Forums

There's a lot of good advice there for returning players.

But a boxed army will always be better than moloing. Moloers are the peasants in EQ. Even 2-boxing is bad because you generally have a tank + healer merc + utility/buffing + dps merc. So that's one slot for DPS and it's probably a merc doing 20-30k DPS in addition to your 20-30k from your tank. And unless you're a raid-geared tank you'll want 2 healer mercs to fight tier 2 named mobs, which means you'll be grinding down named mobs with tank DPS like a chump.

If you have a 3box you have tank + healer merc + utility/buffing + DPS + 2x DPS mercs. A good DPS can sustain 150k DPS, which means you might be killing stuff some 5 times faster 3boxing vs 2boxing.

I'll sometimes roll up to an area, watching a 2 boxing group be fighting a mob, and kill like a dozen mobs by the time they finish it. I have no idea what some people are doing. And I don't even have a really good DPS character.

and I'm just not gonna get back into EQlive.

Fuck buying an expansion for 3 accounts. Fuck paying subs on more than one account...fuck it all man, seriously.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone should give a proper review to EQ: Kunark expansion. There has to be at least one person on these boards that has played through most of the content at this point and can string a few paragraphs of info together.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Someone should give a proper review to EQ: Kunark expansion. There has to be at least one person on these boards that has played through most of the content at this point and can string a few paragraphs of info together.
I've done all the group content in EoK.
People are generally happy with it. There's some issues here and there, but the content is not buggy, good and enough to progress through. There's enough to do for a month or two casually. The massive number of fairly diluted and uninteresting AAs is daunting. For some classes there aren't that many that are must-haves (Ex: warrior, half the AAs are damage, bard, half the AAs are for damage), for others almost all of them are (necros, mages)
I don't think there's much more to say really. If you enjoy modern EQ you'll like EoK.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I box a war/bard/mage right now.

It's fine and once your warrior is geared you can pretty much do all the group content on your own except some of the difficult missions.

I am considering replacing the mage with either a berserker or a cleric. The berserker would increase kill speed, the cleric would make me more able to do challenging or awkward content.

I got sk, shaman, ranger. 2 dps casters and ine cleric merc. I had one caster and one rogue merc, but I found the rogue merc died alot when multiples were pulled and I get way better TTK with 2 casters. I like the ranger for set and forget dps, outdoor calms, ghetto root mez, even vineleash for those oh shit moments when you see 3-4 mobs on a bad pull. Hes also decent puller too, if outdoors. Shaman is meh post 80ish, slows dont work 80% of the time fully and too much upkeep for the dps as a box. Hes basically a buff bot on auto follow. Im sure in a real group the shaman would rock, but as a box its too much trouble for the dps. By the time i land slow,malo, dot it up, the mob is at 30% lol. So i use the smaman for buff bitch, slow, and 2 dots. They get a slow line in the 80s and up that slows the target and provides a decent HoT on the tank which is nice. I do love the SK though. Pretty hardy tank that comes with some self healing and snare utility.

I get more dps bang for the buck from keeping aggro solid on sk an letting the caster mercs run silly with bombs on burn setting. Oh well im stuck with shaman, im like lv 92 and the fuck of im about to tortuously level another. The SK is keeping up still being in lv 85 gear sprinkled with some lv 90 stuff here and there. On the boss/named fights I have to switch one of the caster mercs to another healer since one bad round can send him bye-bye when the start hitting for 8-9K now. trash is no problem though, I usually mow down whites and even yellow single pulls no problem. Been doing the Grobble heroic tasks in Dead Hils for the past week or so. I usually get one level per 6 of them, so about a level per night of casual play. The good thing about them is you get heroic marks for gear. Ive been saving up for a full set of 95. I contemplated on getting lv 90 stuff, but I figure if I can just last out till 95, I can get a full set by the time I get there of some 2K hp/mp gear.

On an classic-PoP emu server a few months ago I made an SK, mag, monk, cleric(no mercs) which was nice. Until I got to PoP and the mobs started hitting like mack trucks and I had no slows. So damn if you do, damn if you dont type of thing. I ended up quitting because I hit max level and it was all about AA and gear grind and honestly I could not stomach that shit anymore on an obscure emu server. It was nice seeing all that content again, I thoroughly made it through most of the classic and kunark dungeons which was cool.

Also Tuco, I vastly prefer the healing merc to running your own cleric. I know youre missing the calms, thats essentially what the cleric added to my emu group. But straight up healing, you just cannot beat a merc. you cannot even react that efficiently, especially if youre running multiple boxes. To really power through nameds or whatever I just get 2, one set to reactionary and one to efficient. I have my SK switch out the merc, I think the extra merc slot was like 1000 daybreak bucks.

I play on test though, the fuck if im gonna pay for 3 accounts to play at their fullest potential a 1999 era game. no economy there, but people are generous and willing to help a brother out if you need it. Plus you can always test copy shit over if you really need it.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah slows aren't what they used to be. I think they are 30% effective now. I slow everything on my bard, but it only reduces enemy hit rate by 12%.

I don't know about level 92, but at max level with a sha/rng/sk probably the best usage of the shaman is to ensure the SK and ranger have everything they need to go full DPS. My warrior does about 3-6x more DPS in 2H mode than with a shield depending on cooldowns.

Last edited:

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Man, there have been 5 expansions since I last played and I feel like I was playing not that long ago. Time flies.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah slows aren't what they used to be. I think they are 30% effective now. I slow everything on my bard, but it only reduces enemy hit rate by 12%.

I don't know about level 92, but at max level with a sha/rng/sk probably the best usage of the shaman is to ensure the SK and ranger have everything they need to go full DPS. My warrior does about 3-6x more DPS in 2H mode than with a shield depending on cooldowns.

Yeah thats essentially what ive been doing with shaman. But I have my SK with 1hs and shield using the defensive stance AA. Never even tried a 2hander with him sine he got his 1.0 epic, lol. Im going to have to try it.

Dont get me wrong though, on a mamed or boss when i have time to dot it up with the shaman, plus pepper in some disease nukes for 12k its nice. But on trash, which is 99% of the game shaman is useless.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yep.

And even before these nerfs, SKs were only better than warriors while grouping if you played them to their skill cap.

With warriors you can pretty much pop a few cooldowns to get to a mitigation point you want to be at, hit a few aggro abilities and then switch to another character. Where as with SKs you need to spam-cast stuff to be as effective.

So with a low-APM input, warriors are superior boxed tanks.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the ENC nerf was on their tanking runes? Which you'd probably never use with an SK tank? I'm not sure, I don't understand the ENC class much.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I'm not totally sure, but I think the ENC nerf was on their tanking runes? Which you'd probably never use with an SK tank? I'm not sure, I don't understand the ENC class much.
It was, the unity lines are now linked in addition to sharing a longer cooldown timer now in addition to other time changes. Of course chanters shouldn't be able to tank like that, and i am saying that as someone whose main was a chanter for the last couple of expansions. I am not sure if they are more unhappy about thechromatic haze/hazy thoughts proc change (i know i would be if i was still playing) since they are losing a decent chunk of personal dps as will any class that nukes and dots, necros may actually like the change.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Eh, aggro was never an issue with SK, pop one aggro spell maybe 1- 2 times a fight if you see aggro meter getting yellow. If multiple mobs SKs have a few AA that does AE type aggro. This is of course coming from a boxing setup with Ranger, Shaman as other boxes along with caster DPS and healer mercs. In a live grouping situation it might be different if all classes are pushing the envelope DPS and aggro wise. SK you can too set it and forget it, just like the Warrior, except maybe you will lose out on some deeps in the dots and poison spears the SK can throw out.

People on forums complaining because one video some leet SK posted had him pull 15-20 Kunark mobs and without heals the fucker took them down. But supposedly the dude is sporting the best of the best raid gears and all that and popped pretty much entire disc/AA/Epic cooldowns to pull it off for his 30 min exp burn. I know for sure that there is no way my group geared SK can do that shit. Then again maybe I just dont know WTF im doing. Nerfing all taps from riposte seems like an overkill nerf. Its like an ability SKs had for fucking YEARS.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Eh, aggro was never an issue with SK, pop one aggro spell maybe 1- 2 times a fight if you see aggro meter getting yellow. If multiple mobs SKs have a few AA that does AE type aggro. This is of course coming from a boxing setup with Ranger, Shaman as other boxes along with caster DPS and healer mercs. In a live grouping situation it might be different if all classes are pushing the envelope DPS and aggro wise. SK you can too set it and forget it, just like the Warrior, except maybe you will lose out on some deeps in the dots and poison spears the SK can throw out.

People on forums complaining because one video some leet SK posted had him pull 15-20 Kunark mobs and without heals the fucker took them down. But supposedly the dude is sporting the best of the best raid gears and all that and popped pretty much entire disc/AA/Epic cooldowns to pull it off for his 30 min exp burn. I know for sure that there is no way my group geared SK can do that shit. Then again maybe I just dont know WTF im doing. Nerfing all taps from riposte seems like an overkill nerf. Its like an ability SKs had for fucking YEARS.
He had a cleric and shaman in the group - he had heals, but it was kind of stupid OP either way.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
did they seriously name the fucking mob Masterchef Ram'see? WHAT THE FUCK.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
may as well have named the final boss of the expansion Grand Master D'trump

i mean what the fuck

if you're going to allude to real people with the names they should at least be from, idk, at least two decades prior? that's just fucking disgraceful naming seriously.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Looks like a raid equipped 1% SK (Which is pretty much what this dude is) with full barrage of buffs doing group content. So lets nerf all SK. I sure as hell cant do that on my group geared SK.

Granted its silly, but come on. Hey I just learned that raid geared toons make group content trivial.

The thing is the riposte thing really only works well with a ton of mobs. If you do some parses and actual damage done(and heals coming back) with riposte agaist say 2-5 mobs, its shit, it only ramps up as there is more mobs. So this nerf really will only hurt those that actually try to do shit like the above dude does. Regular folks that tank 3-5 mobs or off tank adds in raids will be not affected at all or only slightly.

Taken from the SK boards...
Over in FM, with 1-2 mobs, I only riposted ~2.7% of my swings. With 3-5 mobs, that went up to ~5.7% for ~465 dps with a 1her. Only when you get huge numbers of mobs do things get crazy with riposte and thereby leech - the more mobs, the more ripostes, then more leech healing.

Last edited:

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Looks like a raid equipped 1% SK (Which is pretty much what this dude is) with full barrage of buffs doing group content. So lets nerf all SK. I sure as hell cant do that on my group geared SK.

Granted its silly, but come on. Hey I just learned that raid geared toons make group content trivial.

The thing is the riposte thing really only works well with a ton of mobs. If you do some parses and actual damage done(and heals coming back) with riposte agaist say 2-5 mobs, its shit, it only ramps up as there is more mobs. So this nerf really will only hurt those that actually try to do shit like the above dude does. Regular folks that tank 3-5 mobs or off tank adds in raids will be not affected at all or only slightly.
It's definitely going to affect SKs who off tanks in raids....potentially quite a bit. My guild may have to rework a few strats where we use one or two SK to offtank a bunch of adds.

Last edited: