Fallout - New Vegas

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I hate the camp building mechanic in 4 and 76. All I need is my footlocker in my room in Novak to store my loot. Me and my best buddy Boone. And my ED-E my love.

That was the thing that kept me from getting the 100% platinum in FO4 (after having a blast getting it in FO3 and FONV). The damn camp-building stuff. I did get the normal game plat, but only about 90% of the full game with DLCs. I tried doing the camp-building stuff and got totally lost with it, then I couldn't get Nuka-World to progress (the objective marker kept taking me around in circles, saying something about liberating raider camps) so I didn't finish that either. FO4 just wasn't fun after a while compared to the others and I wish it was. Take the camp-building stuff out of it and the raider camps and the more obscure factioning and it would have been fine.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fallout 4 would have been much better if they'd gotten rid of all the people working on a half-assed base building system and hired even just one person who'd ever touched or fired a gun. Every single gun in the game except maybe the Nuka World AK is complete dogshit in every way. Aesthetically they look like trash compared to New Vegas weapons and the majority of them couldn't even function as a gun, the mod system was a cool idea implemented by retards, and the overall balance between the various guns and mods (especially the full auto conversions) was completely nonsensical. They couldn't even get reloading a lever action rifle to work properly even though New Vegas did it just fine half a decade prior.

Even the one decent gun is a pain in the ass to use, seeing as 7.62mm ammo can only be acquired within that one DLC.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fallout 4 would have been much better if they'd gotten rid of all the people working on a half-assed base building system and hired even just one person who'd ever touched or fired a gun. Every single gun in the game except maybe the Nuka World AK is complete dogshit in every way. Aesthetically they look like trash compared to New Vegas weapons and the majority of them couldn't even function as a gun, the mod system was a cool idea implemented by retards, and the overall balance between the various guns and mods (especially the full auto conversions) was completely nonsensical. They couldn't even get reloading a lever action rifle to work properly even though New Vegas did it just fine half a decade prior.

Even the one decent gun is a pain in the ass to use, seeing as 7.62mm ammo can only be acquired within that one DLC.
Nahh best gun, or one of, in the game is Overseers Guardian which can be obtained pretty early if you have the funds. Shoots .45 rounds which are a plenty.

Others that are good are...

If you like Vats and stealth you cant go wrong with...

Also I had no problems with the guns in FO4, at least on PC, maybe you console boys need more AA or some shit, but I would not know.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Also having played both games, the hit detection is ass in NV, something felt off. Where in FO4 it felt crisp. You basically had to rely on VATS in NV to be able to hit anything. You can notice the problem with your first quest and aiming at the bottles. You can have your sights dead on the bottle but not hit shit. Another problem in NV was the lack of anything interesting POI to POI. You might run into a thing or two, but nothing like in FO4 where it was pretty much filled with shit to do on your way to other POI. So much that sometimes you would stray from your quest just to explore some more shit. The story might be shit compared to NV, sure, but for some reason NV felt empty to me compared to FO4.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

yabbayabba

Peasant
3 might be a lot better with an m.2 drive. All those ridiculous loading screens would be instantaneous.
Hard drive nor does CPU help for the loading screens. It is something about loading in scripts is tied to the render speed of the game. If you uncap FPS while in a loading screen it will only take a couple of seconds. There should be a mod out there to do exactly that.

Also having played both games, the hit detection is ass in NV, something felt off. Where in FO4 it felt crisp. You basically had to rely on VATS in NV to be able to hit anything. You can notice the problem with your first quest and aiming at the bottles. You can have your sights dead on the bottle but not hit shit. Another problem in NV was the lack of anything interesting POI to POI. You might run into a thing or two, but nothing like in FO4 where it was pretty much filled with shit to do on your way to other POI. So much that sometimes you would stray from your quest just to explore some more shit. The story might be shit compared to NV, sure, but for some reason NV felt empty to me compared to FO4.
This is one thing they did get right for FO4. Just exploring the map is satisfying just for all the random stuff you can come across.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nahh best gun in the game is Overseers Guardian which can be obtained pretty early if you have the funds.
Two-shot isn't even remotely in the same league as explosive (i.e. Spray and Pray which uses the same ammo and can be bought even faster upon leaving the vault than Overseer's).

None of that is what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about the assault rifle, combat rifle, and combat shotgun looking like stupid toy guns. Guns like the 10mm pistol that are ridiculously oversized, even compared to the NV version which was already looking a bit silly. Guns that for no apparent reason are left-handed, but your character shoots righty so all the animations are awkward and dumb looking. Guns that have side mags for no logical reason except that Bethesda was lazy and wanted to reuse animations.

Or how two guns that shoot the same caliber ammo deal vastly different damage. SMG deals 10 dmg with .45 ammo and combat rifle deals 33 with its stock receiver (I won't even get into the more nitpicky stuff like how stupid it is for a "combat rifle" to be chambered in .45 by default), which makes every SMG except for Spray and Pray completely worthless. Some of the "if the designers knew the first thing about how actual guns worked" stuff isn't nitpicky either--like how infuriating it is that tube-fed weapons make you load the max ammo count even if you only fired one shot and then reloaded, which as I mentioned above worked just fine in New Vegas. Then there's the mini-gun which says it fires 5mm ammo but actually deals damage like its firing BBs (again, unless you have the explosive legendary mod on it, in which case it becomes the actual strongest gun in the game). Retarded balance decisions like that are all over the place, probably the worst being the way that converting a gun to full auto nerfs its damage into the ground.

Far as I'm concerned the first mod everyone should install on FO4 after completing the required stuff in Midnight Ride (FO4 version of Viva New Vegas) is one that completely removes the legendary system. No more stupid magically overpowered weapons, no more retarded bullet sponges, and no desire to spend ages save scumming an interior zone until the exact gun you want drops... win-win-win.* I just wish that there was a decent weapon replacer mod that gets rid of all the stupid guns and replaces them with the lore-accurate weapons in Fallout 1/2/3/NV. Best I could find is a framework that lets you replace whatever you want with other gun mods available on Nexus, but the vast majority of those mods use gun models that are super-clean like something out of Call of Duty (before CoD went full retard with Fortnite-esque skins) and completely out of place in the wasteland. Also, the framework seems to be quite buggy even though it's been around for 5+ years.

* - Edit: Sadly, it appears the mod I used to remove legendary shit last time I played FO4 has been delisted for some reason. Don't see a replacement, just stupid mods that make it even more overpowered than it is in vanilla.
Also I had no problems with the guns in FO4, at least on PC, maybe you console boys need more AA or some shit, but I would not know.
What kind of lunatic plays a Bethesda game on a console? Not me, that's for damn sure.

Also having played both games, the hit detection is ass in NV, something felt off. Where in FO4 it felt crisp. You basically had to rely on VATS in NV to be able to hit anything. You can notice the problem with your first quest and aiming at the bottles. You can have your sights dead on the bottle but not hit shit.
I've had that problem with EWs in New Vegas, but never ballistic weapons. Especially not with the mods included in VNV that improve animations, scopes, etc.

Last edited: