Fallout

Xevy

Log Wizard
He's just an indoctrinated kid and his first in-person experience with the soldiers he's grown up revering, idolizing, and worshiping turned out to be a piece of shit coward. So literally everything he's known for half of his life or more was just shattered to pieces. He's a man, but he's got the life experience of a kid. He's learning there's more than service and guns and the chain of command and he's in that "oh shit I can do whatever I want?" phase a lot of the time which will turn into the "I can do the right things by my own choice" character development plot point.

A lot of people here don't like him because the BoS is a PoS in the series and they want them to be the good guys. They clearly are not and there's a 0% chance they didn't have a hand in nuking Shady Sands.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He's just an indoctrinated kid and his first in-person experience with the soldiers he's grown up revering, idolizing, and worshiping turned out to be a piece of shit coward. So literally everything he's known for half of his life or more was just shattered to pieces. He's a man, but he's got the life experience of a kid. He's learning there's more than service and guns and the chain of command and he's in that "oh shit I can do whatever I want?" phase a lot of the time which will turn into the "I can do the right things by my own choice" character development plot point.

A lot of people here don't like him because the BoS is a PoS in the series and they want them to be the good guys. They clearly are not and there's a 0% chance they didn't have a hand in nuking Shady Sands.
He's a fucking idiot , don't try to church up his story

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It makes zero sense to show them as comically inept yet while also being organized, flying aircraft etc.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Sounds just like the real military! Majority retards held together by crayons and glue and a few people who aren't retarded.
Yeah, for real.

There's some real smooth brain neanderthals in the real military and it doesn't seem like Power Armor is actually that difficult to operate, so it's more like driving a Humvee than flying a jet.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sounds just like the real military! Majority retards held together by crayons and glue and a few people who aren't retarded.
You cant show them being competent enough to have flying aircraft and organize large assaults then at the same time their core members being supremely pathetic cowards that blindly charge into fights getting 1v10 by ghoul wick. It makes sense for the initiates to be idiots, not their knights and leadership.

This is a problem overall with modern media. Bad guys are almost always painted as comically dumb over the top yet at the same time controlling large amounts of people and sophisticated systems. You want villians and enemies to be taken s

Fadaar

That guy
You cant show them being competent enough to have flying aircraft and organize large assaults then at the same time their core members being supremely pathetic cowards that blindly charge into fights getting 1v10 by ghoul wick. It makes sense for the initiates to be idiots, not their knights and leadership.

This is a problem overall with modern media. Bad guys are almost always painted as comically dumb over the top yet at the same time controlling large amounts of people and sophisticated systems. You want villians and enemies to be taken s

about the only show to do that properly was Andor imo

spronk

FPS noob
Wait

Hank knows Muldover from before, and lets her into vault 33 with the raiders. What?

he doesn't, he only knows the ghoul (and his wife) but it is pretty silly, he should have 100% known who muldavar was. it'd be like seeing Elon Musk basically. I think whats much, much harder is justifying, after episode 8, how Bud nor Hank knew what was going on in vault 32. Especially since his wife seemed to be involved.

Its a little confusing, while Hank is Overseer of vault 33 he was apparently only a mid level vaultek manager pre apocalypse. He worked under Bud and Hank's wife and was basically a marketing guy. He was then frozen for 200 years, thawed out when 33 needed a new overseer, got married (to a vault bred lady I assume?), and then his wife took his kids and ran away and somehow hooked up with moldovar who was also outside and ran Shady Sands. So he nuked Shady Sands (how did Moldavar survive??). He now has some sort of contact in New Vegas, we don't really know what the deal is - was he actually an Enclave spy all along, or are the guys who actually run Vaultek chilling in New Vegas. We'll find out in season 2.

It is incredibly silly and hard to believe so many people who knew each other in 2077 are all around in 2296 and have so much personal history together. Hank, ghoul, their wives, their kids, Moldavar, and Bud. Its just something you gotta ignore for TV i guess, 3 Body Problem did the same thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, the hank/muldaver this is really weird. there should have been multiple points of contact.

Hank had the codes to cold fusion. So, its more then a little weird, that he would not know her name, or face from her creation/control of it. and its not like its 290 years later for HIM, so he forgot. its only been like 30 for him tops.
then of course, his wife runs away, to muldaver, lezzes out. and hank, tracks her down, attacks NCR, nukes SS, and somehow didn't ever see her, or learn her name at any point?

some concessions. Muldaver was not a leader of the NCR at the time... unless they retcon NV again.. Which I mean.. would not put it past them. but its not impossible for hank to have been dealing with NCR directly, while muldaver was off in some lab.

Cybsled

Enclave and Vault Tec have always been cozy, so there is a lot of overlap. Presumably all the Vault Tec middle managers got some additional clearance and information before they got put on ice - which makes sense. Bud's goal was to have a consistent management of a project for hundreds of years. In order to accomplish that, you would need to make sure that every single project manager was on the same page and had a larger view of the overall goal. Multiple managers active at the sametime would also allow for redundancy and acclimation to ensure the project continues smoothly.

The only odd thing is if that was the plan, you would presume there would be more communication between the Vaults on a regular basis, so in theory 32 and 33 would be communicating more frequently or at least providing regular project updates to Bud.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Hank doesn't have the codes to cold fusion specifically, he has Vault Tec administrator access. There's no real reason Hank or Betty would know who Moldaver was pre-War - there's no evidence Betty was more than just a secretary, and Hank was at best a newbie manager just turned from executive assistant. Moldaver wasn't world renowned, Vault Tec just bought out the tech before it was finished, and no one _should_ know who she is in Vault Tec other than whatever upper management signed off on the acquisition.

While they are _central to the TV show's story_, there's no evidence the 31/32/33 project was anything more than just another test vault in-universe. No one of any actual importance has been connected to them in the storyline. So when you think about it for two seconds, no, none of the plotline makes sense, but in universe that's because it is just Bud's project, and Bud is a moron. Out of universe that's because modern politics can never allow the other side to have any positive qualities, without realizing that results in 'your' side constantly losing to complete morons. (See reason 4,856 why Andor is good.)

Where believability really breaks down is, as previously mentioned, everyone post-War knowing everyone pre-War, even though people like the Ghoul have lived for centuries, decades of which spent in insantiy-inducing isolation. Would Cooper remember Moldaver from one 20 minute meeting? Maybe? Would he recognize her from a wanted poster, with significantly different hair / accessories? Far less likely, unless Cooper is engaged in industrial espionage with her against Vault Tec in later seasons. Would the ghoul remember the last name of one person his wife worked with for one tiny stretch, know they've been on ice for centuries, and know Lucy is related to him? Pretty darn unbelievable, unless the Ghoul has run into other Enclave / pre-War Vault Tec personnel in the post-War and knows its a possibility.

Noah

Molten Core Raider
what bothered me is that they have a vault meet up every 3 years and yet none of them were suspicious that there were zero people that they recognized from previous years?

did they ever actually confirm that hank nuked shady sands or was it only that he was accused of being responsible?

Caliane

what bothered me is that they have a vault meet up every 3 years and yet none of them were suspicious that there were zero people that they recognized from previous years?

did they ever actually confirm that hank nuked shady sands or was it only that he was accused of being responsible?
ha. iirc he did pull a maximus. just yelled, talked around it, but never actually admitted to it. so, he looked super guilty.
I'm not going to go back and rewatch again. but it would be funny/sad if they did pull that shit twice.