Favorite Film Scores?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
About 2 years ago I really got into listening to film scores while I work or do stuff around the house.

I've grown to really enjoy them but I'm running out of good ones, you guys got any good recommendations?

My favorites these days:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Iron Man
3. Inception
4. Pacific Rim
5. Nolan Batman trilogy
6. Interstellar
7. 300: Rise of an Empire

basicallyt a lot of stuff with driving guitars and melody builds.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Inception is one of my favorites. Requiem for a Dream is a good one too.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So stuff like John Wick doesnt count? Also speaking of Reznor

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
So stuff like John Wick doesnt count? Also this

I don't recall John Wick having a full original score - it was just a bunch of tracks from various artists mixed with 1-2 minute instrumental snippets, no?

I really liked the movie but there werent many sound pieces that piqued my interest

Homsar

Obviously Junkie XL Fury Road is going to be on a lot of lists, also really enjoyed the Score for Stardust

Siliconemelons

First I love MadMax Fury Road's soundtrack.

But I really have a liking to film scores that perfectly tell the entire movie - even if you did not watch the movie you could listen to the soundtrack in order and understand what is going on.

The two best examples I know if that are: LoTR: Fellowship and StarTrek VI.

• 1Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty much the entire film score is amazing.

Just about anything Basil Poledouris has done.

Anything by Ennio Morriconne

The Warriors has that great late 70's synth feel.

Last edited:
  • 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Croetec is correct. Conan the Barbarian is the clear #1. As is anything else by Basil Pouledoris.

A few others I can think of off the top of my head:

Last of the Mohicans
Superman
Braveheart
The 13th Warrior

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Some that I think are good but maybe don't really fit with the ones you listed:

Last of the Mohicans is beautiful and so wonderfully played in the film, especially the main theme.

I'd also recommend work by Ennio Morricone (The Untouchables and The Good, The Bad, The Ugly in particular).

I have a fondness for James Horner's Aliens soundtrack.

Basil Poledouris did a number of good soundtracks in the 80s and might be more in line with what you like (Robocop, Conan).

Blade Runner by Vangelis. They did a number of 80s films that I think still hold up.

Tangerine Dream is similar to Vangelis in some ways. I like their Sorceror soundtrack.

I have a lot of fondness for 80s soundtracks because my silly parents didn't let us listen to modern music (yet I saw Predator when I was 7, go figure), but soundtracks were allowed and my brother was really into them.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Homsar

Anyone else having an issue with this thread not popping up in the movie forum ?

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
anything John Carpenter, dude also puts on a bad ass live show playing his movie scores

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Explosions in the Sky for Friday Night Lights

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I guess they may not be "scores" but I love the soundtracks for O brother where art thou, and Drive.

The Legend of 1900 also has some good stuff on it. It's by Ennio Morricone who was already mentioned.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Just going to throw Thomas Bangalters work out there, I love it. I also love Gaspar Noe.

I really wanted to love Tron's soundtrack by them, but it was only really one song that resonated outside of the hype. It remains on my night drive playlist forever.

I'd imagine these count?

• 1Like