Fear of Death

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Strange one but lately I’ve found myself constantly contemplating death. Anyone else been in the same boat? It’s not making me morbid but rather very fearful of the world going on after I’m dead.

I’m not a religious man so I’ve always believed that when we die that’s it. I can remember not being able to sleep around age 8 as I couldn’t stop thinking about the world going on after I die.

I’m wondering if anyone has read / watched anything that helped them process the concept of death / existence?

I’ve experimented with recreationals a bit in my life and found that after a few LSD trips that even smoking weed makes me fall into a hole of thinking about consciousness, inner voice, time passing etc. I’m thinking of trying DMT after hearing so many stories of it helping people in similar boats.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm already familiar with what it's like, the world was spinning round and round for eons without me existing and I'm happy to report it did not concern me one bit.

It's still technically a religious answer but more of an Eastern one, have you ever listened/read Alan Watts?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Strange one but lately I’ve found myself constantly contemplating death. Anyone else been in the same boat? It’s not making me morbid but rather very fearful of the world going on after I’m dead.

I’m not a religious man so I’ve always believed that when we die that’s it. I can remember not being able to sleep around age 8 as I couldn’t stop thinking about the world going on after I die.

I’m wondering if anyone has read / watched anything that helped them process the concept of death / existence?

I’ve experimented with recreationals a bit in my life and found that after a few LSD trips that even smoking weed makes me fall into a hole of thinking about consciousness, inner voice, time passing etc. I’m thinking of trying DMT after hearing so many stories of it helping people in similar boats.

I've had the exact same feelings for near as long as I can remember. Us dying is literally the world ending, there's no discernable difference for me. If I'm dead, how would I know any different?

I'm not into drugs though, so I haven't bothered with that avenue. Quite frequently though, I will get onto that train of thought, and that's it, no sleep for the night. Not sure what to do about it except try to avoid thinking about it. I've certainly never found anything that gives me any solace about it. Lately I'm just trying to make sure my kids are good after I'm gone, and that seems to help out a lot with it.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
I've had the exact same feelings for near as long as I can remember. Us dying is literally the world ending, there's no discernable difference for me. If I'm dead, how would I know any different?

I'm not into drugs though, so I haven't bothered with that avenue. Quite frequently though, I will get onto that train of thought, and that's it, no sleep for the night. Not sure what to do about it except try to avoid thinking about it. I've certainly never found anything that gives me any solace about it. Lately I'm just trying to make sure my kids are good after I'm gone, and that seems to help out a lot with it.
I’ve been advised before to view it as completion rather than an ending. You’ve completed life. But that did nothing for me.

It motivates me in some ways as in my head when I die my loved ones effectively die. As my perception of them ends. So it motivates me to try and improve my health etc to prolong all our lives.

I’m going to listen to that Alan Watts on my commute. I’m open to anything that might take away the existential dread!

I do find the thoughts often push me towards contemplating religion. Wondering what the point is to life. Why we have a conscious. How everything in life can have a role/purpose etc but then we just die.

But growing up I always believed that religion was popular as it gave people hope for after death. Which would certainly tie in with my thinking now 🥲

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Existential crisis is a pretty normal thing. But it's really important to not spiral into existential dread and nihilism - you'll only drive yourself mad if you dwell on it.

We can take comfort in religion or science, or find anxiety in those places as well. We "know" or have faith in things, but at the end of the day all humans throughout history have grappled with the same questions. Is there meaning or order to the universe? Do things happen for a reason? Is there life after death or is this it? You can accept one of the answers out there already and let that reduce your anxiety (because whether or not people admit to it, even subconsciously they are accepting those answers for that very reason), or make peace with the fact you'll never know the answer. And sometimes the acceptance that you won't know is comforting unto itself.

The only thing you do know is from your perspective is you're alive and what you make of that is ultimately up to you. Personally, I think it is important that you make the most of it.

From a pragmatic perspective, doing something positive for others can have ripple effects that echo through time. It might not be the most important thing that ever happens to a person, but it might lend itself to an overall tapestry that shapes that person and in turn others and continues to into the future.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw a documentary a long time ago with a bomb defuser guy who basically said this. Not sure if it's the same guy or just something that bomb defusers tend to say lol:
1720997728651.png

It's always stuck in the back of my mind as the right way to think about such things. You can't do much about some types of suddenlies except to try and minimize your exposure and to mitigate the problems that you're leaving for others.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's a great way to deal with the not-so-suddenlies.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Fear of death is a primal thing. You will always have it somewhere in your head. The key to not allowing that to dominate your thoughts is to remember you have no power to avoid it. Put in the box with all the other things in life you are powerless to change. You can also use it as a focal point to keep you focused on living your best life every day.When your time is up have as few regrets as you can.

Stoic philosophy is also useful. Breathing meditation is always helpful.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
After I was diagnosed with cancer last year, I went to my parent's gravesite and told them, "I'll see you soon". The fear of death and the feeling of hopelessness that often goes with it are very real.

But you don't need drugs or religion to get you through the crisis. Look in the mirror and promise yourself you will live your life to the best of your ability until the day you do finally drop. That's all that can be expected of us as humans. It's not about transcending your consciousness or some crazy shit, it's about facing the truth that, yes, you will die someday. But that day ain't today.

Today you are alive and that's all that matters. Go live.

(P.S. Six months of chemo, 3 cat scans, and a colonoscopy later, happy to report I'm a survivor. For today.)

• 7Solidarity
  • 5Like
Reactions: 11 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya I've had some trouble the last couple years with feelings of existential dread. My whole life I've always kind of looked at teh clock and told myself I still have plenty of time left. But approaching, and finally hitting 50, I look at the clock and realize that I have more time behind me than in front of me. I'm not the type of guy that's just sat around doing nothing, I have definitely lived my life to the fullest, but there is just something about The End that I can't wrap my head around and thinking about it makes me feel very anxious. I think it's one of the reasons my drinking got out of control for awhile there as it seems to completely turn off those thoughts and emotions but only brought other, bigger problems. Lately though, I've found that just a heartfelt prayer helps. Spending time with my kiddo also makes me feel better about this life that I've been given.

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm too autistic to die. Pretty sure I will live forever because I have to know how everything turns out.

Here's a good thing to watch that helped me put things in perspective when I was younger.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users