Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
God damn I love me some red mage. Might have to start playing. Looks great.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I've been tempted to give this game a try just to casually dick around in an MMO. WoW is paid for by tokens for me. but Not sure if i really should bother with a 2nd mmo. Is the story line pre/post expac really worth it? I know at least on swtor if you haven't played the class missions, the time is well spent. But I just never felt that the FF mmo's felt like actual FF games.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, no FF game had multiple 12 button long rotations dependent on what combo of your eight cooldowns was running. And no FF looked so weeaboo.

It's actually worse than the commonly mocked EQ2/Rift in that regard because you can't just dump much of it into a priority macro and perform at 99% of perfection. Did they ever fix the macro delay problem? There were a handful of abilities that you would always use on cooldown no matter where you were in your rotation and you still couldn't macro them for some reason. It wasn't as restrictive as WoW, but still broken for reasons that I can't recall.

The slower GCD helps with the button mania, but movement was more punishing than it should have been because the hurt circles had to be treated as approximations.

It DID have some fun encounters though. And I have to give it credit for being tightly tuned.

My temptation to revisit the game sputtered out when I saw I'd have to pay more for heavensward than I did for the base game when there's another expansion on the horizon.

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, no FF game had multiple 12 button long rotations dependent on what combo of your eight cooldowns was running. And no FF looked so weeaboo.

It's actually worse than the commonly mocked EQ2/Rift in that regard because you can't just dump much of it into a priority macro and perform at 99% of perfection. Did they ever fix the macro delay problem? There were a handful of abilities that you would always use on cooldown no matter where you were in your rotation and you still couldn't macro them for some reason. It wasn't as restrictive as WoW, but still broken for reasons that I can't recall. (SWTOR - same problem, but external macros could s

The slower GCD helps with the button mania, but movement was more punishing than it should have been because the hurt circles had to be treated as approximations.

It DID have some fun encounters though. And I have to give it credit for being tightly tuned.

My temptation to revisit the game sputtered out when I saw I'd have to pay more for heavensward than I did for the base game when there's another expansion on the horizon.
The simple fact that you can have 1 character, and have all the classes available to that 1 character was always a draw for me.

But I'm pretty sure Heavensward can be found on sale or cheaper if you really wanted to get back to it.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't know if it ever improved but the multi class thing had a few huge flaws with storage space and a hell of a lot of grinding.

Molten Core Raider
You can level new classes up from 1-50 pretty fast in Palace of the Dead and no need to really gear them at all until 50 because of how that place worked. Much better than Fate grinding imo. The inventory space (or lackthereof) is still a problem but supposedly something they're fixing in the next expansion.

My biggest gripe with the game is what Kreugen mentioned earlier, all the goddamn buttons. Even as a tank I had something like 3 full hotbars of stuff I used regularly, it was just out of control. Combat needs streamlining bad, which again is something that's "supposed" to happen in the upcoming expansion. If you can wait six months to start playing or get back into it, I probably would advise it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Past changes to inventory include increasing its size, auto sort and ability to search for an item and be told which inv slot or retainer inv slot its in. Skills are being overhauled across the board, partly to reduce rotation complexity, in the new expansion in June. Expansion also includes greatly improved inventory size and management.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
New expansion cuts out ps3 support, right? I think I read there were a ton of improvements they were able to do since they didn't have to worry about things running on the ps3.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New expansion cuts out ps3 support, right? I think I read there were a ton of improvements they were able to do since they didn't have to worry about things running on the ps3.
They haven't talked about much really all things considered. The expansion is still 6months away so they're still on teasers and shit, especially since they probably didn't lock all features just yet and see what they can get for 4.0 and what has to be pushed back to 4.1. Yeah in theory PS3 support removal should let them do more stuff, but we'll see. The next fanfest might have a bit more concrete info, but I think it's mostly going to be new class reveal+new skills for existing class teasers+some cosmetics available in the first raid kind of stuff, and the real meaty info is going to come in march/april during the live letters.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's basically gonna be Samurai if you're realistic, or Blue Mage if you're retardedly optimistic.

No actually confirmation though.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
to be fair, you pretty much play the entire aspect of the game within just 20 levels....

...oh yeah, I am still playing. hit me up if you need a buddy.