Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malkav

French Madman
If there is a thing I hate, it's having to manage multiple 20sec buffs/debuffs/dots uptime. It's just a pain in the ass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If there is a thing I hate, it's having to manage multiple 20sec buffs/debuffs/dots uptime. It's just a pain in the ass.

Same. It is miserable.

It can make sense in a game like DOTA where you engage in a big team fight, use your 10 sec buff skill or whatever then don't fight again for a minute(so it's up). But it's completely lame when a fight is DESIGNED to last 10 minutes and you obviously cripple yourself if you don't keep your +10% better up. I just don't see that as skill, I see it as annoying.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What you're saying is truth, but on the flip side, a game like DOTA where you have an easy to learn 5 skills is exactly why that game tends to attract 13 year old American Inventor-spewing shitbags for players.

I agree it's annoying as fuck to keep up multiple 20 second buffs/debuffs, but a player that manages to do that properly vs. one that doesn't is a pretty big difference. It's not what i'd call skill, either. It's just buff/debuff management. To be fair to FFXIV, it's really hit or miss depending on the job. Monk for example has most of it's annoying 20 sec buff/debuffs weaved into my rotation, so it's not as bad to manage as some of the other jobs.

I'd wait until May when we hear the combat changes though, these complaints we've voiced here aren't exactly unknown, it's the same thing people have been complaining about for years - i'm sure they have some sort of fix coming up.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can you elaborate on this? Curious as I currently use zero UI/Add-ons/whatever is available in FFXIV. I'd be interested to learn more.

Also I do hope they combine actions that have similar but slightly different functions. EQ2 suffered from this and long term it is a detriment to the game and most players. Like when you have 2 actions, that that does X+100 dmg and one that does X dmg but adds 10 sec 5% dmg buff. The perfect player ends up keeping the buff up but otherwise using the X+100 one. This is stupid in my opinion and not what "player skill" should be about. As mentioned above too if you have to spend the fight actually doing fight mechanics keeping that perfect rotation up is even harder. Also you end up with 10 action bars all full of crap. It's just stupid.

I know MMOs are not a MOBA, but I love DOTA 2. Each hero, baring some exceptions, has 4-5 skills. In theory items could add another 6 if you bought all clickable things. But the skill comes in for know when to use them, managing cooldowns, combining them properly, and coordinating with others. Granted MOBAs will always have an advantage as they are PvP but more buttons to press is NOT better in the long run. Least in my opinion....

Well first for the timers and shit, I was talking of this Releases · anoyetta/ACT.SpecialSpellTimer · GitHub I think. I've seen various screens but since I don't play atm I haven't tested. It's basically ACT plugins that put various info from ACT into visual form, by adding spell timers/duration similar to wow buff/debuff addons. I've seen a monk timer version too that basically acted like that wow addon that tells you what skill to use next, it basically tells you what to do next in the rotation. I have no idea if it recovers properly when you have to drop the rotation to do mechanics but it's there.

What they said they'll do is add some unique UI features for a lot of classes to make it easier to track their shit though. I assume for example an UI for warrior 5 stacks things or monk stances might highlight abilities you can use in that stance for bonus effects and stuff like that.

On combining skills, I do assume they'll reduce the bloat by combining similar stuff and just adding effects onto other stuff. For example if the class has 123 for dot and 124 for dmg buff like a bunch of classes do, I assume they'll just merge the 2 so you just do 123 for both dot+buff and then whatever filler you have. There's also a bunch of spells you can combine like Ruin 1+Broil or Stone 1 + Stone 2(just make stone 2 slow, it's not like a slow is OP anyway besides maybe pvp). Ultimately though there's not that much they can combine and I think they might straight up remove some aspects to make it simpler and just rescale the balance based on these. For example I could see them removing the Arcanist spell I forgot the name of that you put on the tank and the mobs do 10%less dmg when they hit the tank and proc it. It's RNG and relies on physical attacks iirc and isn't like a class defining feature or anything. I could also see them combining dots for classes that have multiple, so they just have one. Having to keep track of several dots with different duration is a pain in the ass imo. But if they fix the UI to be less shit for that, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

I also hope they normalize some of the utility skills, for example instead of slashing/piercing/crushing debuffs, either make it melee/ranged debuffs, or just make them one single debuff that a lot of classes can apply. Same for mind whatever/dragon kick and halone debuff.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think we may disagree on why DOTA attracts 13 year old's or whatever, I think the amount and complexity of skills has ZERO to do with it. Especially considering you can see 12 people play the same hero at very different styles and skills....

Anyway, I'm not bitching or anything. Im actually excited about the new combat system as this is the only MMO I currently play in small spurts(lol Pantheon). And yes, there is a huge difference between players who keep that stuff up and those who do not. In fact it's close to 20% difference all else being equal just on Dagoon. I do not have end game experience with all classes but I imagine it's something similar. I'm ok with skilled players being 20% better than shitty ones, but not because of 1 simple button.

And, perhaps an argument for why it is just stupid, is that it's not shared among all classes. Even if I disagree with the designer/developers, if all classes had this style of play and that was just the name of the game I could sub or not. But with FFXIV it's completely class dependent. Some are easy some are not. I fundamentally disagree with that too.

Whatever though, I dig the game and lately I've been trying to catch up with gear since I just got back and then dicking around with all the shit I missed out on, like PoD(meh, not a huge fan but I get why people like it). This game really did spoil me in one regard though. I don't think I will ever play another game where my characer(name/account/rep/achievements) are hard-tied to a single class.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I also hope they normalize some of the utility skills, for example instead of slashing/piercing/crushing debuffs, either make it melee/ranged debuffs, or just make them one single debuff that a lot of classes can apply. Same for mind whatever/dragon kick and halone debuff.

This. Normalization on this type of line of thinking will do wonders for class balancing. Hell, I want to see at least 1 other job with a Litany-like buff, just to mix up the status quo of what jobs to bring to a raid.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Something that definitely needs to happen is that Delerium needs to not be able to overwrite Dragon Kick.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
This. Normalization on this type of line of thinking will do wonders for class balancing. Hell, I want to see at least 1 other job with a Litany-like buff, just to mix up the status quo of what jobs to bring to a raid.
Totally predicting Mantra getting a change to increase (raid) damage.

One thing I kind of want to see them do, though, is nix the slash/pierce/blunt vulnerability effects, and instead replace those effects with something along the lines of flat weaponskill/magic damage bonus, and/or grants full damage from a weaponskill as if you'd hit from flank/rear. Temporarily grant omnidirectional attacks, in other words, like PotD mobs are by default.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah if Monks don't get a new skill in Stormblood similar to that one current PvP skill we have that lets us ignore directionals for a limited time, i'll be sorely disappointed.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Set up an in-game blue screen in my apartment and made this for fun!

Lala is the New Black Small.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is this the game with the 1 hill graphic they copy paste 17 times next to each other and you can't walk over knee walls and the NPCs all look like complete idiots?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah hard to tell if the description is XI or XIV 1.0.

Game is now FF flavored WoW with slow combat. For better or for worse, that depends on your tastes, but you can in fact jump, the hills aren't copy pasted more than any other game(and the game is generally great to look at) and the NPCs are well, NPCs so they don't look any more idiotic than anything else? I mean like most games NPCs use player models.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Final relic step was a true victory lap - finished mine in under an hour.

Kill every primal on Hard from ARR through HW, then 1000 Lore or Poes for 1 bottle of ink. That's it.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Is this the game with the 1 hill graphic they copy paste 17 times next to each other and you can't walk over knee walls and the NPCs all look like complete idiots?
Seems like your talking about FFXIV 1.0. A Realm Reborn completely remade this game. Like maps and everything. Pretty much the entire game minus the art direction. Maps are now unique hand built maps, npcs look very good imo, and you can jump and after the upcoming xpac, swim. Its really a great mmo alternative to wow.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, if you haven't caught it before, SpeakersNetwork put out a good 5 episode series documenting 1.0 and how bad it was and the transition to ARR. They have some other side videos that go in depth more about certain features from 1.0 as well.