Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malkav

French Madman
Samurai looks nice.
I kinda want to main it, but uuuugh leveling from 50 to 60 before starting they SB content.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
So they have what looks like a countdown timer for Huton as well as some other scaling up buff.
Ninja is basically getting a meter to fuel special abilities, with Huton showing up in your face so you're aware of it (rather than squinting at your buff bar, it's the pinwheel). The puke frog and "super Mudra field" are two of the abilities fueled by 80% of that meter drawn as a scroll.

Of all the jobs shown in that trailer, Bard felt like they completely revamped its job abilities (songs) to a completely new form of gameplay. I suspect, though, that Mage's Ballad will be "magic vulnerability", while Paeon is physical vulnerability + special Bard attacks, and Wanderer's Minuet is even more special attacks as well as the effect on the target (perhaps increasing chance to crit the target?).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Malkav Malkav - 10 hours of pain you can never get back! Hopefully they change the armory bonus for 50-60 to be 100%. If that's so then it's only 36 PotD runs which is more like 8 hours. If you have some good buddies who don't mind, you can burn through your 2 levels of rested exp pretty quick. If you have both Heavensward Beast Tribes maxed out you can get an easy 500k at level 50 there per day (higher the loner you wait and it scales better then PotD so do it last thing before bed). The Beast Tribes are more then 1 PotD run for doing all 6 (like 1.5ish depending on your level).

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Malkav Malkav - 10 hours of pain you can never get back! Hopefully they change the armory bonus for 50-60 to be 100%. If that's so then it's only 36 PotD runs which is more like 8 hours. If you have some good buddies who don't mind, you can burn through your 2 levels of rested exp pretty quick. If you have both Heavensward Beast Tribes maxed out you can get an easy 500k at level 50 there per day (higher the loner you wait and it scales better then PotD so do it last thing before bed). The Beast Tribes are more then 1 PotD run for doing all 6 (like 1.5ish depending on your level).

I'm in the process of leveling beast tribes, I'm sword in both right now.
What's that about the xp being higher the longer I wait? How does it work?

I have not yet done any POTD because it just looks soul sucking to me. What floors would you advise me to run for your estimation?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Floor 51-60 is 47 runs from 50 to 60. If you go through higher floors you get more exp but some times the queue is longer. There is a bonus for completing floor 100 (at level 59 it is 758k exp instead of floor 51-60 being 558k exp).

Beast Tribes are level scaling quests so the higher your level, the more exp you get for them. They scale slightly better then PotD does. So doing them after you are done running PotD for the night is generally the best way to do it if you want to maximize exp. At level 59 you get 97k per beast tribe quest (if you are sworn) iirc. So all 6 quests are 582k. I can usually bang them out in less then 10 minutes. A good PotD run is 10 minutes with a usual one being 15+.

If you are leveling in a group it all changes because you can count on your PotD runs to be pretty much all the same all the time. I would highly recommend getting your weapon and armor to 65+ as the damage you do with a 65 weapon is significantly different then the damage you do with like a 30 weapon. If you have buddies helping you, BLM's and SMN's tear that place up.

• 1Like

Malkav

French Madman
Floor 51-60 is 47 runs from 50 to 60. If you go through higher floors you get more exp but some times the queue is longer. There is a bonus for completing floor 100 (at level 59 it is 758k exp instead of floor 51-60 being 558k exp).

Beast Tribes are level scaling quests so the higher your level, the more exp you get for them. They scale slightly better then PotD does. So doing them after you are done running PotD for the night is generally the best way to do it if you want to maximize exp. At level 59 you get 97k per beast tribe quest (if you are sworn) iirc. So all 6 quests are 582k. I can usually bang them out in less then 10 minutes. A good PotD run is 10 minutes with a usual one being 15+.

If you are leveling in a group it all changes because you can count on your PotD runs to be pretty much all the same all the time. I would highly recommend getting your weapon and armor to 65+ as the damage you do with a 65 weapon is significantly different then the damage you do with like a 30 weapon. If you have buddies helping you, BLM's and SMN's tear that place up.

Thanks.. :)

I still have no clue how the POTD save system work. Can I just have a save at floor 51 and repeat this save for floors 51-60 ad nauseam?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You just need to go into the "Reset save data" menu and wipe one out before running, as it auto-saves and will have you at the 61 mark if you try to run again on the same save. It is definitely soul crushing, however.

• 1Like

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
anyone have a decent FC looking for sch / blm? looking for midcore/semi HC. someone posted about DnT a few pages but dont have any connection to anyone there. on gilga but would switch!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just came back for pre-expansion finishing, are Custom Deliveries just a setup for expansion stuff? Seems really easy for the level of reward given.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seemed like it when I saw them. Incredibly easy method of capping red crafter scrips each week and 600+ blue scrips attached only makes it better. I spend 15 minutes making a few things and I'm like 100 scrips away for the week if it isn't the "last" offering.

Been selling the 1 V a week from zero effort for an easy 300ish k a pop, and it doesn't require me grinding the shit out of carbonweave gear hah.

Lowball

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to pick this up as my side bitch to Tomb of Sargeras. The weeb fun park is hilarious and the dev team is really likable.

Couple questions:

As a DRG a big part of losing interest during Heavensward was that the rotation was tiring after a while - even with that long GCD you're popping 2 abilities between each one, in a 30 second long repeating sequence, with positional requirements, all the while also handling mechanics. From the live letter it looked like the combat simplification amounts to trimming a couple abilities, but only to make room for replacements, and improved resource interfaces. Am I missing anything else there?

If I decide to play SAM/RDM should I bother knocking out the rest of the Heavensward main story before Stormblood hits? Like experience-wise , if I have to do it anyway I might as well do it on the character that will need the exp right?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm going to pick this up as my side bitch to Tomb of Sargeras. The weeb fun park is hilarious and the dev team is really likable.

Couple questions:

As a DRG a big part of losing interest during Heavensward was that the rotation was tiring after a while - even with that long GCD you're popping 2 abilities between each one, in a 30 second long repeating sequence, with positional requirements, all the while also handling mechanics. From the live letter it looked like the combat simplification amounts to trimming a couple abilities, but only to make room for replacements, and improved resource interfaces. Am I missing anything else there?

If I decide to play SAM/RDM should I bother knocking out the rest of the Heavensward main story before Stormblood hits? Like experience-wise , if I have to do it anyway I might as well do it on the character that will need the exp right?

You may as well knock it out and unlock flying in all the zones. That would be useful to get to fates and what not.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly the story takes a while and isn't great exp. They upped the original story exp after heavensward came out but it took them a month or two to do it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider

This was a disappointment for me in the Live Letter. After trumpeting some simplification it turned out Yoshi P said :

i) there's a big gap between DPS potential and what most western players are putting out;

ii) that he hopes the changes to the UI (specifically more easily seen visual indicators of buff states) will fix this.

Then as you say he stated very minor changes to DRG who will continue with their existing rotation.

I'm not a good player, I struggle with the more complex rotation classes due to basic dexterity and navigating the keyboard. I noticed Yoshi P always uses a G13 and wonder if it makes any difference and whether it affects his judgement. Bottom line though I think they've dropped the ball and that in future they are going to have to revisit this and simplify more classes.

For now there are a number of classes that are much easier to get good numbers out of and these are what I gravitate towards : tank - Paladin, healer - WHM (some folk will say SCH but how hard is it to keep Regen and Medica II up), DPS - Black Mage, Machinist.

The three classes introduced in Heavensward were well thought through and made more sense than the other classes which had been through a lot of evolution from vanilla. I suspect Samurai and Red Mage to follow this pattern.

As an aside I finally got around to leveling Bard and Machinist to 60 this last week. I'd heard they became decent DPS at/around lvl 58 but I was taken aback by what a big difference getting to that level made - it should be noted even without any changes to skills. You spend the first 58 levels feeling quite gimp then all of a sudden you are pushing for top DPS unless the pure DPS classes are really on their game. It's nuts that they haven't smoothed this progression out.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mained BRD and DRG for ARR. The dragoon rotation is not hard. Bards put out good dps at 50. In HW I had no issues with MCH after they did the DPS fix pre-58.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think there's gonna be some other smaller changes that will help out with rotations, or at least maintaining them. For example, I remember Yoshi saying Greased Lightning will now last for like 18 seconds instead of 12 I think?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good news bards! No cast times!

Bad news.. more buttons and you get to stance dance and juggle procs!