GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Cybsled

wtb [96% click res] pst red priest/priestess
Davos: Plz rez Jon, he aggroed a pack of Disciples of Thorne and got killed
Mel: Wtf, how did that happen?
Davos: He thought he saw something unlooted, but it ended up being a trap and spawned a bunch of mobs
Mel: How the hell am I supposed to get down there? Repop should have happened by now
Davos: Ed got Wun Wun to clear it
Mel: Lol Wun Wun is such a fucking whale. p2w bullshit.
*later*
*Mel tries to cast a spell, but it fizzles*
Mel: DAMMIT, now I need to med to get my mana back

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seriously, GRRM did not think about balance at all.

Mana cost, Reagents, 25,000gp and diamond dust? nothing? just ask nicely?
The shadow assassins had a clear cost and ritual. the blood/fire sacrifice of Shireen as people are talking about, for the unclear "boon" of victory. Seems at odds. Resurrection having no cost or sacrifice.
I wonder if there is a bible on how each of these religions and cults actually work.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The cost of the resurrections Thoros had been doing was that more of Beric's memories were lost each time but his sense of purpose strengthened. In Beric's case it was the knightly duties of defending the weak and fighting righteously. Likely to assume that this resurrection cost him some memories and Jon will now be solely in service to the realm.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think Mereen is a necessary evil. When you look at the grand scheme of things, Dany had to have a maturation period. Martin knew he couldnt have her find redemption so swiftly, as the entire story revolved around her and her dragons. If she would have peaked in the middle of book 4 or something, the story wouldnt have had the longevity it needed to really have that all encompassing impact.

He could of had her conquer the entire Essos hemisphere, or perhaps had her rule pathetic subjects at Drogos side. Maybe even landfall in Westeros but struggle to consolidate power etc. But he chose a certain narrative to support his grand design later in the game. She had to learn how to deal with people and develop as a leader. Mereen was merely a vehicle for this to take shape. If Danys story was expediated forward it would have extinguished a ton of Westeros intrigue and story lines that unfolded instead of developing organically while she gathered support and resources in Essos.

It might seem like an excuse but Mereen is simlply there to lend weight and credence to Dany as a character, but sadly it takes away those very things to a lot of people because they feel like the Mereen narrative is a waste of time.
Good post. I agree. It just wouldn't be credible for Dany to be a 15 year old girl getting married off for an army and then get some dragons and suddenly be a great leader. Joffrey and Tommen were groomed from birth to be king and they were both fucking horrible at it. For her to be a credible ruler when she gets to Westeros she needs to learn and get experience and Mereen is the vehicle for that and also a way to kill time until the time is right to bring her into the main story. It is frustrating but that will just make it that much more glorious when it actually happens and thanks to the TV show we won't have to wait 20 years for it.

Also, it's not boring and never has been. It's been non-stop action throughout the whole arc, it's just that it isn't related to the main story line so people get impatient with it.

koljec_sl

shitlord
As for the episode itself...

I'll be honest, I'm super fond of the understated resurrection...
Yeah the resurrection was ok. It even left some ambiguity that Mel succeeded. Maybe it was Jon returning from worging into Ghost, or maybe Ghost did it. He is named Ghost, afterall.

Were it my story, I would have old Mel found dead in bed next episode. Whether she succeeded or not, her life is drained.

I actually liked the Bran flashback, but I hope they use it sparingly. I hope it's not used to have Bran connect every backstory dot.

So Hodor was Willis, and Willis was a stable boy. That means he got horse-kicked in the head, right? Or did someone not hold a very heavy door for him?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good post. I agree. It just wouldn't be credible for Dany to be a 15 year old girl getting married off for an army and then get some dragons and suddenly be a great leader. Joffrey and Tommen were groomed from birth to be king and they were both fucking horrible at it. For her to be a credible ruler when she gets to Westeros she needs to learn and get experience and Mereen is the vehicle for that and also a way to kill time until the time is right to bring her into the main story. It is frustrating but that will just make it that much more glorious when it actually happens and thanks to the TV show we won't have to wait 20 years for it.

Also, it's not boring and never has been. It's been non-stop action throughout the whole arc, it's just that it isn't related to the main story line so people get impatient with it.
Even in the book I'd hit a Dany chapter and roll my eyes, just not interesting stuff. I can appreciate the story it's creating and the necessary evil that it is, but it's just boring. The only exciting part was at the end when she finally took flight and I went "oh fuck yes she's doing it!" then she landed and was captured.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah the resurrection was ok. It even left some ambiguity that Mel succeeded. Maybe it was Jon returning from worging into Ghost, or maybe Ghost did it. He is named Ghost, afterall.

Were it my story, I would have old Mel found dead in bed next episode. Whether she succeeded or not, her life is drained.

I actually liked the Bran flashback, but I hope they use it sparingly. I hope it's not used to have Bran connect every backstory dot.

So Hodor was Willis, and Willis was a stable boy. That means he got horse-kicked in the head, right? Or did someone not hold a very heavy door for him?
In the books his name was walder, I think they changed it so somebody could say, "whatchoo talking bout, Willis??"

koljec_sl

shitlord
In the books his name was walder, I think they changed it so somebody could say, "whatchoo talking bout, Willis??"
Ah, so the book characters were aware of his real name. Yeah Willis seems a strange choice. Did the books suggest anything about him not always being brain damaged?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
No. Also they only changed his name because show watchers would confuse him with Walder Frey who is obviously dying this season.

Siliconemelons

Ah, so the book characters were aware of his real name. Yeah Willis seems a strange choice. Did the books suggest anything about him not always being brain damaged?
We are not reading things in the show-- usually... we are hearing them. And we have actors with accents saying names and Walder may be close to other character names that have already been introduced - so they change it slightly as it really does not matter- so something that wont be confused with another character. I still think Lucas friggen made up Lord Silo Dias when someone mispronounced Sidious in ep2.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
I think it could go 50/50 on being kicked or head trauma from Robert's rebellion. He shies away from conflict, not horses.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think it would have been awesome for the Frey retribution to have the entire Frey line extinguished. Kill them all except for Walder Frey and leave him there alone in The Twins.

Siliconemelons

Hodor is Jon's father.
And the shoveled his head so he would not tell anyone! we should spoiler this revolution!

... it will be a sad tragic event, and we will learn Hodor is the name of the person that made him special- and his saying it is an eternal curse and reminder of the pain...

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
A curse was placed on him that every time he says Hodor, another Stark dies.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
No. Also they only changed his name because show watchers would confuse him with Walder Frey who is obviously dying this season.
yeah i can see people get confused when bran says walder crushed 3 Others last night and then somebody else say walder is an old bastard

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
The cost of the resurrections Thoros had been doing was that more of Beric's memories were lost each time but his sense of purpose strengthened. In Beric's case it was the knightly duties of defending the weak and fighting righteously. Likely to assume that this resurrection cost him some memories and Jon will now be solely in service to the realm.
This is an interesting bit. Im excited to see how Jons persona changes.