Gamestop enters the fray!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So Gamestop wants to dabble into the business of having its own DLC for its chain of stores tailor made for their stores during development. I personally do not care about it as i dont "yet" see how it will effect my decision to buy a particular game. However so long as its stuff that wont trivialize my gaming experience im taking a neutral stance.

GameStops Involvement in Development Is Another Black Mark on Pre-Order Bonuses - GameSpot

GameStop will fund unique DLC, won't hinder creative process | Joystiq

"When you think about the business of gaming and the cost of developing games, we think there's an opportunity to put capital at risk with publishers and developers in exchange for exclusive content that would be distributed through our online platforms, in stores, our download business, et cetera," Raines explained to Time, before being asked about the immediate backlash against the idea of GameStop dictating a game's development once it's partially funding development. "I think we'd be foolish to tell developers how to develop games or publishers how to bring product to market. That's what they do extremely well. What we'll do well is put capital at risk and help distribute and connect with PowerUp Rewards customers."
if this hot mess was posted elsewhere already my bad!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
To my understanding they will be paying developers to create specific dlc. To my knowledge that's not quite how it's done atm, I'm jot entirely familiar with the process but I don't think Amazon calls Ubisoft and says they want special gold scimitars for AC.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It just show's that Gamestop is realizing that there brick and mortar stores are loosing them more money then they make vs retail sales.

Digital Media will put companies like gamestop out of business so they have to adjust or die.

It doesn't matter anyway the stuff they will probably make will be shit, so there gonna die anyway.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll still keep buying from Amazon just so I don't have to be attempted to be continually upsold on every goddamn thing on the store and pre-orders for the next 90 months.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'll still keep buying from Amazon just so I don't have to be attempted to be continually upsold on every goddamn thing on the store and pre-orders for the next 90 months.
Jesus I cannot agree more. Last time I went into Gamestop to buy a game I promised myself I would never go back. Ever. "HEY! WOULD YOU LIKE TO PREORDER... YADADA" No. "ARE YOU SURE? ITS GOING TO BE LIMTIED AND WILL SELL OUT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY! YOU CAN MAKE SURE YOU CAN PLAY IT WHENIT COMES OUT. ITS GOING TO BE HARD TO FIND!"

"No. It won't be hard to find. 1) If I want to play it bad enough I can download it from the digital store. 2) I guarantee you I will either find it at Best Buy, Target, or Walmart. All within 3 miles from my house. 3) Why would I give you my money when I am not getting anything in return when I could invest it myself? 4) I'm never coming back here."

The people suck. And now with used game competition popping up EVERYWHERE, if I want to find a cheap game, I can do so at a mom / pop shop selling used games or hell even go to Best Buy now without being bothered. Oh and no, I take care of my games. I do not need to buy a $7.99 scratch replacement plan. Had an idiot try to sell me on that too. "Well, you never know when your dog migh...." "Dude. Shut up, and sell me the game"

My favorite story was when my wife and I went to Best Buy to buy a printer. They are no better than Gamestop except this time it's their warranty crap. it was a $99.00 printer. "So... What brings you here today!" (This is at the cash register) My wife and I look at each other like deer in headlights. I couldn't resist myself. "We are here to pay for this printer before we leave your store, otherwise it would be theft."

"Oh haha! That's a good one! You know... have you thought about the replacement plan on this printer? It's only $29.99 and covers everything on it. Lots of things can break, especially if you are a heavy user."

"No. If it breaks after the first year, I'll buy another one for $99."

"Are you sure? I have heard that the wireless portion of this printer can go out from time to time."

My ears perked up on that one.

"So... what you are saying is you are selling me known faulty equipment?"

"Well, no... but it can happen. I have seen it"

"Sell me the damn printer - I am late for my beer across the street"

Good Lord.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I fucking hate shopping in any store of any kind now. No I do not want your rewards card, no I don't want the replacement plan, no I dont want to sign up for your fucking credit card, no I don't want to donate to whatever fucking charity you have. It's impossible to just go to pay for something without being bugged with all this other bullshit.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Those kind of upsells are the only thing keeping retail locations afloat unfortunately, so they aren't going anywhere =\

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Those kind of upsells are the only thing keeping retail locations afloat unfortunately, so they aren't going anywhere =\
I understand their necessity, truly. And I know the type of customer it works on: people like my mom.

"Hey mom, what I want for Christmas is this game. If you do get it, when the guy at the counter asks if you want the strategy guide definitely say no." On Christmas when I open that much larger rectangular present and there was a strategy guide and the game, I knew. The guy knew when he sold it. Bathroom reading material.

If I come in wearing a Half Life 2 t-shirt in pristine condition, hair stuck to one side of my head, ill-fitting dark denim jeans with large white NB shoes, and eczema on my face and arms while holding a collector's edition Dark Souls 2 box he should just know. Much like when a whale comes through the line at Wendy's, you don't ask "anything else?": you just know there is more coming.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Amazon Prime has made it so I rarely go to any store for anything. I leave to go grocery shopping. And even then I occasionally opt for grocery delivery. Shit, it's only $6 more.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
They will once they realize they are losing customers hands over fists. It's fine to ask once. It's not fine to harp on it until you want to throat punch the cashier for asking for the 5th time, or trying BS tactics to sell it. Doesn't matter to me. They are only hurting themselves, and I just take my business to Steam/Amazon.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
They will once they realize they are losing customers hands over fists. It's fine to ask once. It's not fine to harp on it until you want to throat punch the cashier for asking for the 5th time, or trying BS tactics to sell it. Doesn't matter to me. They are only hurting themselves, and I just take my business to Steam/Amazon.
It's just what they train their staff to do every single fucking time. You know. He knows. But the list says offer "x plan" to every customer and the guy doesn't give a shit, just as long as he doesn't get yelled at by his boss.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Amazon Prime has made it so I rarely go to any store for anything. I leave to go grocery shopping. And even then I occasionally opt for grocery delivery. Shit, it's only $6 more.
Pretty much this. I still go shopping for clothes about 30% of the time at a B&M store, but it's getting to the point where returns are easy enough that I just get them online instead. I don't live somewhere with grocery delivery though. That'd be pretty nice.

Steam, Amazon, anything on Slickdeals, and then specialty online retailers every once in a while if Amazon doesn't have it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Really the grocery delivery stuff is that inexpensive? Had always assumed they cost a good hunk more - might save myself the hassle sometime now.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You are paying more per item for places that have grocery delivery that then you would if you shopped at a regular grocery store.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Really the grocery delivery stuff is that inexpensive? Had always assumed they cost a good hunk more - might save myself the hassle sometime now.
Safeway is really cheap. The price goes up the more precise time frame you want your groceries. It's only $6 if you want them within a four hour window. I can deal with that. It goes up to $12 if it's a one hour window. Not sure how it is with other vendors. There are also services like Instacart that will pick up food from multiple grocery stores (Costco, Safeway, & Whole Foods).