Garage Door Openers

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Screw drive is a lot quieter. If your garage is below a room, that might be a consideration. Screw drive also has a bit more upkeep - you have to lube the screw drive auger periodically, the chain drive ones you can pretty much ignore for almost ever. Also, with a screw drive you aren't as reliant on the springs. Screw drive can handle a lot more weight/pressure than a chain drive, so you can back off your spring, thus making the spring virtually fail proof.

I have a 35 year old chain drive that is starting to die, and I'm going to replace it with a screw drive very soon. My bedroom is over the garage, and that thing makes the bed shake like I can't do myself.

I never thought I'd make a post that included the word screw so often, and not have it be dirty.

Erie_sl

shitlord
Ya, my rooms going to be over the garage, but I'm single so I don't think it really matters to me. Is there any difference to how secure the door is, just in case someone tries to break in?

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've used a chain driven "Overhead Doors" brand for years with no problems at all. Most of your noise comes from the rails, not the motor. If you grease it once a year with spray teflon you will be good to go.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've used Chamberlain LiftMasters whenever I've needed to add/replace a door opener. I typically use belt driven, such as the3280. They are supposed to be quiet and low maintenance.

However, the chain drives should be similar, just a bit louder.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ya, my rooms going to be over the garage, but I'm single so I don't think it really matters to me. Is there any difference to how secure the door is, just in case someone tries to break in?
Makes no difference. Both are equally secure.