Get a 4 year old a dirtbike

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, my wife has finally bent on this so I can get my son a dirtbike. Now i've drive for about 20 years but never experienced, or seen aside from youtube, starting a 4 year old on a motorized vehicle that potentially can get away from me.

Anyone have experience with starting a youngster out on this type of thing. Obviously he would be in safety gear etc. And i will admit being selfish that having my son dirtbiking would increase my amount of the same.

I was thinking a KTM 50 and he he loves it, fuck yeah, if not, its a toy for when the guys are drunk.

Ps. Dunno if it matters but my 4 year old is the size of a 6 year old

Silence_sl

shitlord
I started out when I was 6, on a Yamaha 75. Handled it fine, no injuries. That KTM 50 will have too much scoot, though. Get something in a 50cc+ 4-stroke and it'll be great fun and safe.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a world of difference between 4 and 6. I'd trust my 6 year-old nephew on a little bike with all the expected precautions, but when he was 4? That would be iffy. Maybe I'm projecting from his 3 year old brother, but I remember him falling. A lot. I'd go with whatever the wimpiest thing you can find is. Better to beef up in 2 years than to break his arm and have him be nervous about it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hell, can he even ride a normal bike without training wheels at the age of 4?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Your kid, do what you want but I'd be hesitant to put a 4 year old on one. They generally don't have nearly the reasoning skills necessary at that age.

Good luck with whatever you buy for him.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I loved my sweet little Honda 50CC when I was 5-6 years old. Until some asshole stole it. However I believe that pretty much every other kid around my age that touched it nearly killed themselves (family, friends, neighbors etc), so yeah, maybe not a wise investment safety wise. Probably better than a quad though!

Seanwin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel the same (ish) i got an RM80 when I was 12, now mind you it was fun going 60mph, but death was close Alot. Maybe its the fact that Im 36 nowand hop on a 50 andthink what the fk, am I even going 10. Perhaps I wait a couple more years ://

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe with training wheels...

K00Z7g0.gif

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I was on a dirt bike around age 5-6 I'd guess and just get him the proper safety gear and watch over him and he should be fine. Kids are supposed to get hurt growing up, that's how you learn not to do shit as an adult.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Speaking of bikes anyone have any experience with 250cc 4 strokes, the general longevity of the engine?

Silence_sl

shitlord
Speaking of bikes anyone have any experience with 250cc 4 strokes, the general longevity of the engine?
Depends on the brand and type, but with proper care, they should last damned near forever. The only shit engines I've seen were Suzukis, but that was some time ago, and I don't know if this holds true today for new products.