Government Garnishment

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
So today I received a bunch of court papers about a government Garnishment. The basic story is I did time in prison in the late 90's for a Bank Fraud conviction. At the time they dropped a restitution of 86k on me. I paid it while on parole but after I was off stopped paying it. Fast forward 16 years and they are putting through a Garnishment with my employer. It has not come out of my check yet I think it goes into effect in a month or so. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing and what can I expect. I think I remember reading that garnishments cannot exceed 15% which would still put me in a rough financial spot. Thanks in advance for any input.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They can exceed 15% for specific things if expressly authorized but generally, no, they cap at 15% per and 25% total.

Calculation is based on 15% of disposable income.

So 30* fed min wage per week (217.50) is "safe" then they take 15% of the remainder. You can go through a hearing process but generally the hearing officer or ombudsmen are pretty strict, ie HBO is not a legitimate expense. If you go through it bring copies of literally every bill and receipt and be organized, you don't want to go through it unprepared.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
OK so it will probably end up being 15% of my income after minimum wage calculation if I am reading correctly. Well living in Seattle with 10.50 minimum wage and being a waiter seem to be bonuses in this situation.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's always fed minimum so $7.25.

Tips it would just depend if the employer reports but they may request bank statements if you go through hearing so then if you deposited the money it would hurt your chances of getting a more favorable outcome.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
It's always fed minimum so $7.25.

Tips it would just depend if the employer reports but they may request bank statements if you go through hearing so then if you deposited the money it would hurt your chances of getting a more favorable outcome.
OK thanks for the input.