Great Fiction that isn't Fantasy/Scifi/Manga/Cyberpunk/Wizard Detective/etc

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My personal favorite is The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Wiki said:
the novel is set in New Jersey in the United States, and deals with the Dominican Republic experience under dictator Rafael Trujillo.[1] The book chronicles both the life of Oscar De León, an overweight Dominican boy growing up in Paterson, New Jersey, who is obsessed with science fiction and fantasy novels and with falling in love, as well as the curse that has plagued his family for generations.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
hans_christian_andersen_quote.jpg

HCA was a known homosexual male. OP might enjoy?

Biggby

Molten Core Raider
I can highly recommend The Violent Century and A Man Lies Dreaming by Lavie Tidhar.

Century is a really niexc twist on Superheroes historically, operations anc conflicts in WW2 and cold war.
Dreaming is alternate history, Hitler lot his election and isa PI in London, sounds odd but really well told, disturbing and the hope and humanity that peks through really fucks with my head.

Blindsight... bleak but brilliant

Szlia

Biggby Biggby I think you missed a negative in the thread's title.

To contribute: french romanticism masterpiece (also: a short read!) Sylvie by Nerval.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Anything by Jorge Luis Borges. Ficciones is a good start.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Pillars of Earth by Ken Follett is a great read.

The older chuck palahniuk books are good.

I also really enjoyed early clive clussler novels but they are pretty formulaic.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
lol @ wizard detective in the title

I got a lot of mileage out of reading Tom Robbins' books. Personal fave was "Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates"