Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Disney is fully prepared to get as much blood out of the Star Wars member berries as possible

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Disney is fully prepared to get as much blood out of the Star Wars member berries as possible

After dropping $4B on the IP they should be but there's plenty of directions they could go if it was only about money. They'll be making Star Wars movies for decades and there was plenty of time to go with a young Solo story later when the memories of Ford in the role have faded a bit. But not if they wanted Lawrence Kasdan to write it. He's not a spring chicken anymore and if anyone was going to write it Kathleen Kennedy wanted it to be him since it's the SW screenplay he's always wanted to do.

And as far as that goes the guy deserves it. He wrote Empire, Jedi, and TFA (as well as a little flick called Raiders of the Lost Ark). Doesn't make me want to see a young Solo movie made any more in the first place but still ...

Fadaar

That guy
About the only side story people want is an Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan movie, which to be honest they could even bring back Hayden Christensen for some flashback scenes of the Clone Wars. Another option would be something with bounty hunters but I'm pretty iffy on them being able to carry a movie. What I'd really like to see would be some Old Republic stories. Ok ok I just want to see HK-47 on the big screen.

spronk

FPS noob
i want a movie about The Max Rebo band, a musical like Moulin Rouge. They could even call it Rouge One

G4Zugau.jpg

• 8Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
This only needs to hit Ice Pirates levels of awesome to be a great film, in my opinion. Rogue One is your serious war film; the main series are your epic space operas, lets have a fairly off the cuff Han Solo movie for shits and giggles. Han Solo = Guardians of the Galaxy for Star Wars.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Royal pretty much summed it up, but this movie was almost a condition of Kasdan coming onboard to assist in the production of TFA. This was his baby the entire time. I don't know that this would have been what I would have done this soon into all this, but as I posted sometime ago, many people associated with Star Wars production over the lifespan of the movies have said this script is hands down the best SW script they have read, and I believe a few went hyperbolic and called it one of the best scripts period they have ever read.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When they run out of these side stories to make Disney can always go back and remake the prequels. Or at least the clone war portion.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I just wanna see a General Grievous story. Dude was a fucking Jedi killer who collected light sabers and he got like 5 minutes of screen time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So are we going to get a new Star wars movie every year now until they've milked it dry? Sounds like that's the plan no?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I thought they said new trilogy and 2 stand alone movies to fill the gap.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't be surprised to see them try two a year once the ball gets rolling. One summer one Christmas.

Actually not summer. One May 5th one Christmasish.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
in short, yes. A new SW movie every year for the next 5 years including this one now that TFA is out. But at some point some Disney high up used a phrase similar to "for the foreseeable future". I've always been and continue to be all in. There is so much they could do in this universe before it even gets slightly meh. Easily 10 films before they have to start trying. Old Republic stuff could be a new trilogy or more without even breaking a sweat.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I could get behind an old republic movie - I liked a lot of the design and aesthetic of the prequels, an actual decent movie in that setting could be awesome.

• 1Like

Royal

But at some point some Disney high up used a phrase similar to "for the foreseeable future".

I believe that was Bob Iger, the highest of the high up's at Disney. He said it to shareholders as I recall rather than in some sort of interview.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't be surprised to see them try two a year once the ball gets rolling. One summer one Christmas.

Actually not summer. One May 5th one Christmasish.

I think you meant May 4th, not Cinco De Mayo. As in May the 4th be with you, correct?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Si.

I'm on dilaudid in the hospital, I'm lucky I even found the post reply button.

• 1Like

Royal

Since the topic of spinoffs moving forward came up a few days ago, the recent Entertainment Weekly article on R1 had some info on that:

As 'Rogue One' Looms, Lucasfilm Develops Secret Plans For New 'Star Wars' Movies

The biggest question of all: After the new trilogy ends with Episode IX in 2019, will a new trilogy begin? Or does the annual release of a Star Wars film become a litany of stand-alones, only occasionally threading back together (the way the Marvel movies do)?

“That’s a conversation going on right now, too,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy says. “I have to honestly tell you, could we [do nothing but stand-alones]? Sure. But I don’t know. We are looking at all of that.”

Gauging audience reaction to Rogue One will be critical as Lucasfilm evaluates how different it can get with these stand-alone films from the traditions of the trilogy, or “saga,” films.

After the release of the new film, the Star Wars braintrust will map out the further reaches of the galaxy. Among the titles that have been considered is a Boba Fett/bounty hunter movie that director Josh Trank was hired to make before he dropped out following the troubled production of his Fantastic Four reboot. It came so close to being officially announced, Lucasfilm even prepped a teaser reel to show at Star Wars Celebration in spring of 2015, sources tell EW. At the last minute, the split with Trank backburnered the project.

Another storyline fans have expressed interest in seeing include an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, possibly with Ewan McGregor reprising the role of the Jedi knight from the prequels. The actor himself has been enthusiastic about such an idea, if it were to happen.

Lucasfilm isn’t tipping its hand about new titles yet. They’re waiting until after Rogue One’s debut to begin figuring that out.

“There are [possible movies] that we have been talking a lot about,” Kennedy says. “But we are planning to sit down in January, since we will have had The Force Awakens released, now Rogue One, and we’ve finished shooting Episode VIII. We have enough information where we can step back a little bit and say, What are we doing? What do we feel is exciting? And what are some of the things we want to explore?”

Who will be making those calls? “The story team and the trust, and the visual effects team that we have been working with,” Kennedy says. “We always pull in the directors and the writers that have been a part of these other three movies. We create pretty much a very collegiate group of people to share ideas.”