Harriet (2019)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
1.00 star(s) Rating: 1.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Harriet (2019)

Tagline: Be free or die

Genre: History, Drama

Director: Kasi Lemmons

Cast: Cynthia Erivo, Janelle Monáe, Leslie Odom Jr., Jennifer Nettles, Joe Alwyn, Tim Guinee, Deborah Ayorinde, Clarke Peters, Vanessa Bell Calloway, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Tory Kittles, Omar J. Dorsey, Zackary Momoh, Mike Marunde, Claire Bronson

Release: 2019-11-01

Runtime: 125

Plot: The story of Harriet Tubman, who helped free hundreds of slaves from the South after escaping from slavery herself in 1849.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So, I have not seen this. I just saw it was playing and wondered about it. I know we all hate the "woke" shit, I despise it. But, I mean this was a horrible time in America, and it obviously was the blacks at the shit-end of the stick (which is putting it so mild that I feel bad saying it like that). And this woman did do something amazing (apparently saved around 300 slaves), and yes the antagonists will be all white people. I assumed this type of movie would be all 100% positive on Rotten Tomatoes, but even that site is kind of taking it down saying it's obviously formulaic and flat. But I can appreciate this type of movie would be hard to make and not have "white man" be horrible and despicable and the black person be the beacon of light... I feel guilty just writing any of this.

I can't imagine that if I were alive back then I would have supported slavery. Plus I'm not a democrat so by default I wouldn't have. I mean I can imagine hiring a slave to do work, but not like beating them or torturing or raping them. I mean I have a housekeeper I pay a wage to, and she scrubs my poop particles off my toilet and folds my clothes. But I also just cannot relate to what conditions must have truly been like.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Gaming Ghost>
What's funny is that more and more Hollywood has no issue changing race and gender in historical films/shows to diversify what for the time was an accurate all-white male group of participants. But I bet in this particular case they keep the races of the players historically accurate (ie.. white southern folk bad, northern white folk somewhat less bad, African Americans good).

None of this should take away from the history of what Tubbman did. It's just the concept of changing historical facts for wokeness is just an abomination. The next thing you know the woke crowd will decide to ignore scientific facts and tell us their are more than two genders...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
from what I saw on youtube reviews (double toasted) it sounds like this is basically an action movie that turns her into a superhero - she literally has psychic powers. woke crowd isn't behind it because it isn't "black suffering" enough, oscars only nominate black movies when they show black people suffering so hard under whitey that you can feel their pain thru the screen.

a movie about a black chick who "beat the system" and did relatively well and took her destiny into her own hands doesn't play at all into "well aktually institutional racism prevents you from..."

also apparently this movie goes in HARD against black men, like tubman has a husband she leaves behind and he remarries or whatever after she escapes (she goes back for him years later), the two black guys were mentioning how all the black women in the audience were going "mmmhmmmmm" in agreement when tubman made speeches about how black men ain't shit and they were super pissed about that. I thought that was funny.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i didnt even know this movie was a thing, i thought it was some meme extended from that ten dollar bill larp from a few years ago.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
from what I saw on youtube reviews (double toasted) it sounds like this is basically an action movie that turns her into a superhero - she literally has psychic powers. woke crowd isn't behind it because it isn't "black suffering" enough, oscars only nominate black movies when they show black people suffering so hard under whitey that you can feel their pain thru the screen.

a movie about a black chick who "beat the system" and did relatively well and took her destiny into her own hands doesn't play at all into "well aktually institutional racism prevents you from..."

also apparently this movie goes in HARD against black men, like tubman has a husband she leaves behind and he remarries or whatever after she escapes (she goes back for him years later), the two black guys were mentioning how all the black women in the audience were going "mmmhmmmmm" in agreement when tubman made speeches about how black men ain't shit and they were super pissed about that. I thought that was funny.

Seems like a real hard Oscar bait to fuck up. Not sure how this is a thing.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Oh fuck, psychic powers?? That's hilarious! Why! History is a great story, tell it well and show us how horrible things were, accurately!

Thank you for the link to those reviewers, I like them!

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
I want a remake in 5 years. White male protagonist. Slave owners are all women and crippled faggots (think the black crippled chick from Evergreen University). Protagonist only saves children and cute dogs. Have a Passion of the Christ whipping scene with rainbow caped transgender overseers. The ending shows the protagonist at church with his wife of many years and 8 unaborted children flourishing. Make sure the movie is called "Harriet". Thank you.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database